4 more images
Eating Hard Crabs
Eating hard crabs is a Chesapeake Bay thing.
Several warnings connected with hard crabs.
1) If you don't know how to do it, it's a lot of work for very little food. You'd do better to get a crab cake where someone else has done the work. Or at least have some backup food while you are learning. Also, don't try to get the meat out of the crab legs (except the claws) like you do with lobster. The legs are too small and it's too much work.
2) Don't rub your eyes when you are eating hard crabs. You will get Old Bay seasoning in them which really smarts. Transferrring Old Bay from the outside of the crabs to the crab meat and your mouth is a required (and inescapable) part of the experience. But while it is good to eat, it's not good for your eyes.
3) Hard crabs have become expensive - the last price I was quoted (Aug 04) was $32/dozen.
4) The menu pictured is from the Drift Inn which is the oldest crab house in St. Mary's County. The menu is a single page. Don't come unless you want to eat crabs.Related to:
- Road Trip
- Food and Dining
- Family Travel
Fog is a hazard in driving almost anywhere that is near the water because of all the moisture in the air. Usually it will burn off later in the day. Drive cautiously in these situations - you don't want something to appear out of the fog too close for you to stop before you run into it. That's how you get multi-vehicle accidents.
Also you have fog in the mountains - either clouds come down and cover the top of the peaks so you go up into the fog or sometimes fog collects in the valleys so you go down into fog.Related to:
- Budget Travel
- Road Trip
A crab's claws are very powerful and a bite can be painful. A crab pinch can cut through the skin and cause bleeding. If you must pick up a crab with your hands, hold the crab by one or both swimming fins and be careful not to let your fingers extend too far under the crab. It can reach back a good distance under its shell and BITE YOU!
Baltimore is a big city.Be...
Baltimore is a big city.
Be properly cautious, avoid walking by yourself especially at night, park in lighted areas.
I went to graduate school at University of Maryland at Baltimore, very near the inner harbor area (the best places to visit are there). I never had any problems other than finding parking in the student areas!
This isn't really a danger-...
This isn't really a danger- more of a warning. Maryland is 90% farm land (statistics: my head). There aren't too many scenic roads in Maryaland, and if you choose not to take a major highway... you will encounter some unpleasant smells of manure!! When visiting Maryland, stick mostly to the Washington/Baltimore areas!!
When in Assateague- bring bug...
When in Assateague- bring bug spray!! When I went there, I had 20 quarter sized mosquito bites on my body!! Also, the residences around the park are crappy, don't stay here for too long. Recommended stay- weekend.
Like any City, Baltimore has...
Like any City, Baltimore has typical street crime, though the locals told me it is higher risk here than other large Cities. I found it fairly safe though a more intimidating atmosphere exists at night.
Just a warning...Maryland is...
Just a warning...Maryland is on the east coast and so in the summer it can be SOOO hot and humid. Too, dure to recent economic prosperity(pre-9/11), Maryland has been booming, therefore that translates into traffic. So if driving on the Beltway or on I-95 use caution cause they can be congested.
If you drink too much, you...
If you drink too much, you will not only pass out in your clothes the wrong way on the bed with your friends, but your camera will get stolen and you will leave your one semi-sober friend left to entertain the pizza man...
The biggest warning I can give...
The biggest warning I can give is beware of driving around Washington, DC and Baltimore. Drivers in these areas are very aggressive and rude, and you can expect delays at almost any time of the day. In many ways it compares to Los Angeles. Be careful.
Avoid Southeast DC altogether-...
Avoid Southeast DC altogether- scary things occur daily in broad daylight. Driving during rush hour should be avoided whenever possible. Snow of any kind pretty much shuts down the whole area. Avoid the Bay Bridge Friday and Sunday nights in the summer if possible- the traffic is a killer.
This may seem like a quaint...
This may seem like a quaint little street lined with antique stores. Well, in fact, that's exactly what it is. Annapolis is full of them, but as I should point out, be careful about what you think is a deal. Chances are, you'll be spending a bit more than you hoped for soemthing. That said, I came away with a glorious 19th century map of Lancashire (from whence my mum's ancestors came to America). Just be warned.
1 more image
Warning-Have Cash for I-95
If you're driving on I-95 going through Maryland make sure you have cash to pay the tolls. It was only $2 here but the money gets more costly the farther North towards Delaware and New York.Related to:
- Road Trip
Despite a relatively mild...
Despite a relatively mild climate, every few years, we get a little snow, usually in January or February, but sometimes as early as November or as late as April.
I've delayed writing a review on this hotel because I'm conflicted. On one hand, we got a great deal...more
Although we did not stay here, it looked like a lovely Inn right smack in the middle of Annapolis.more
We stayed at the Hilton to celebrate our 2nd Wedding Anniversary on April 23rd, 2007. The room was...more
Top Maryland Hotels
- Ocean City Hotels
- 156 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Baltimore Hotels
- 1196 Reviews - 3406 Photos
- Rockville Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 53 Photos
- Hunt Valley Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 27 Photos
- McHenry Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Saint Michaels Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Salisbury Hotels
- 4 Reviews
- Laurel Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Grasonville Hotels
- 6 Hotels
- Takoma Park Hotels
- 4 Reviews
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
Explore the World
- Medunsa Hotels
- Bajamar Hotels
- Schwanenwerder Hotels
- Flåm Hotels
- Torres Novas
- South America Warnings and Dangers
- Mobile Warnings and Dangers
- Fuengirola Warnings and Dangers
- Surabaya Warnings and Dangers
- Nuwara Eliya Warnings and Dangers
- Altitude sickness
- Watch your back!
- Taxi companies
- Mont-Tremblant Warnings and Dangers
- Kingston Warnings and Dangers
- Kanchanaburi Warnings and Dangers