Harvard Square / Harvard University, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

Harvard Yard
    by Barbie2138
  • Paul2001's Profile Photo

Harvard University and its Museums

by Paul2001 Updated Oct 26, 2007

Favorite thing: Harvard University is the oldest and possibly the most prestigious college in the United States. The college was founded in 1636 by a collection of well-educated Puritans. This is the original Ivy League school. It's graduates include no less than six US presidents (George W. Bush got his MBA here) and dozens of Nobel prize laureates. This has always been the place where American, in particular Eastern, aristocratic families have sent their children. This may not mean the best and brightest have always graduated from here. A highly regarded (and controversial) professor of mine who both graduated from and taught at Harvard spoke very disparagingly of Harvard for the fact that the graduates from here are considerably uneven in quality if downright mediocre. Harvard can be more a social club for the rich rather then a institution for higher learning. Anyway that was his opinion and not necessarily mine.
    A walk through the campus or Harvard Yard still is an atmospheric experience. There are free tours that take you to many of the schools fine buildings. Still the main reason I visited Harvard was to see some of the schools outstanding museums. There are two art museums, the Fogg Art Museum and the Arthur M. Sackler Museum. I visited the first of these because it hosts one of the best collections of French impressionistic paintings in America. There is also the Harvard Museum of Natural History and the Peobody Museum of Archaeology and Entology. Of these I visited the latter. I recommend that you make the effort to visit at least one or two of these museums as they are highly regarded in each of their fields.

Harvard Yard The Widener Library The Memorial Hall
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

Ho Ho Ho Mr. ROBOTO Is In Harvard Square

by Barbie2138 Written Jun 21, 2007

Favorite thing: If you have never been to Boston, if you only have a day to visit, head to Harvard Square. Chances are you will see someone famous or almost famous or at the very least plenty weird.

Fondest memory: I have lots of fond memories of Boston, one of my favorite is the day the cashier at Out of Town News in Harvard Square gave me about fifty cd's after asking me if I liked gospel music. She'd bought them, "...from some guy." True Story.

Al Gore Was Hanging Out At Harvard Books Once More...I Will Not Run!!!!!!! The Real Action:  Harvard Books' Bargain Basement
    • Women's Travel

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo

Welcome To Harvard Barbie...What Took Ya So Long?

by Barbie2138 Updated Jun 21, 2007

Favorite thing: I think one of the coolest things about Boston is being able to walk the Yard. The first time, I visited Harvard yard, I commented to my friend, "Ya know, I feel smarter already." Maybe not but I got shivers thinking about all the really big brains who had trod those same walkways. Harvard rubs me in all the right ways. I stood a long time in front of the jaw dropping library. I can't explain it but the experience is awesome....

Fondest memory: My favorite memory of Boston has got to be the people. I love them in all their cranky wanky ways. I feel right at home!!!! I'll never forget my second visit when I went alone for a vacation and met VT'er Emilie Noelle. She lives in Lowell not Boston but she made my visit special by taking me to Walden; a place I'd read about....It was very special. At one point while walking the trail, I just cried. I'll never forget her generosity and kindness. I always seem to meet terrific people. I don't know why Boston has such a bad rap about not being friendly....
    What do I miss when I'm away? Everything. I found myself in Boston. It doesn't feel right not to be there.

The Library at Harvard I Always Knew I'd Make It To Harvard Emerson Hall-Harvard Harvard Yard
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Women's Travel

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo

OOOOOOHHHHHH LA LA IT'S BIIIIILLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

by Barbie2138 Updated Jul 12, 2005

Favorite thing: Harvard Square is definitely a must experience. The people watching brings to mind that Natalie Merchant song "Carnival". That's what the square is; a carnival of humanity. The guy at the Out of Town News stand is so friendly. I'm sure he gets asked all sorts of inane questions from gawky tourists but he was so kind and patient when I asked mine!

Fondest memory: I miss the squares. I love how each defines the various neighborhoods in the city. It would be impossible to feel alone where ever you are. All you have to do is get up, take a short walk to Kenmore, Davis, Harvard and BAM! BAM! BAM! people, action, life in all it's wondrous, noisy, diverse glory!!!!!
    *******************************************
    One day I was On my first 'solo' visit to HS I encountered a crowd of several hundred gathered in front of a jewelry store. Bill Clinton had stopped by for a few trinkets before going to speak at the DNC As he exited, the crowd began to chant his name and he poised, flashed a movie star smile and gave us a photo op and a few words. I thought that was cool of him. Boston's finest did a great job that day. I was impressed at how they handled the crowds. I stopped one of the officers and told him so.

An
    • Singles
    • Beaches

• Harvard Yard Bounded by...

by Tal_A Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Harvard Yard
    Bounded by Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge and Quincy Sts., and Broadway, in Cambridge
    Free admission
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

Originally land owned by John Harvard, he donated it in 1636 to establish a divinity school, which would later bear his name. The famous statue of John Harvard, designed in 1884 by Daniel Chester French, sits in front of University Hall. Make sure to rub John Harvard's left foot. It has been a custom of both visitors and students to rub it for good luck. Take a stroll around the yard where classrooms, the Widener Library, Memorial Hall, and freshman dormitories stand.

• edgeman's Profile Photo

visit Harvard University....

by edgeman Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: visit Harvard University. Because I visited on Sunday, the campus is empty and loose....but enjoyable...(Harvard Square)

• exotique18's Profile Photo

We went to Harvard in order...

by exotique18 Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: We went to Harvard in order to go a seminer given by ex Cyprus coordinator Miller and Palestine-Israel ex coordinator about current problems between these countries.

• srb's Profile Photo

Go to Harvard Square at night....

by srb Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to Harvard Square at night. The place is filled with people and performers from painters to sword jugglers.

Instant Answers: Boston