Related Boston Favorites Tips

Bridge & Lake Activity
    by Mikebb
  • A banner announcing the feast of St. Agrippina
    A banner announcing the feast of St....
    by diver-x
    Minifrosch takes in the playground
    by travelfrosch

Most Viewed Favorites in Boston

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Castle Island

by travelfrosch Updated Sep 25, 2013

Fondest memory: I remember as a child going to my Grandmother's house and then heading out to Castle Island. I was always thrilled at even the thought of going to Grandma's house, because it meant I could visit the wonderful playground and huge beach there. Now that I come back as an adult, I realize that maybe the playground wasn't so magnificent, nor was the beach as huge as I remembered. And now, Minifrosch sometimes goes with his grandmother to play in some of the same places her grandfather took her when she was a girl.

The playground has been rebuilt in the 30+ years since I played there, but they left a few of the old animals, perhaps for sentimental reasons.

Minifrosch takes in the playground K is for The Playground The Beach
    • Beaches

Boston Best Parking - Discount Parking

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 22, 2013

Favorite thing: Finding an affordable place to park in Boston can be a daunting task. If we are staying in town, we usually leave our car parked in the hotel lot and take the T. But, on the occassion when we decide to stay at a hotel outside of the city center we like to have options regarding parking. There are plenty of places to park, but the prices can be steep.

So before we head to Boston we search for the nearest parking garage to the location where we plan to spend most of the time and print out a discount coupon, you can save quite a bit of money this way.

The latest of our trips to Boston we park at 60 State Street Garage located at 60 State Street steps from Fanieul Hall, the average price was way over $20, we saved more than half off the parking. With our coupon printout we pay $10 all day.

Here is the link http://boston.bestparking.com/index.php

Visitor Center

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 1, 2010

Favorite thing: There are quite a few visitor centers throughout Boston and its a great way to familiarize yourself with a few different and unique thinngs to do in this wonderful city.

Aside for providing maps, pamplets and breouchures, there are also gift shops where you can also purchase Boston souvenirs.

This particular Visitor Center is located directly next to Old State House.

• Hotel where your stay begins

by salinajosef Written Apr 7, 2009

Favorite thing: Copley Square and Beacon Hill

Fondest memory: We have heard so many times the false promises made by the service providers, dealers, retailers and even the web portals. They simply try to drain away all our hard earned money with their attractive promotional offers. With online transaction the dealing becomes more risky. However, there are few websites available that delivers more than what we look for. Thanks to Choice4hotels.com which made my trip to Boston very smooth and tension free.

Everything was to be done on a very urgent basis, so I had to check websites for providing me sufficient information. Firstly, I booked my hotel rooms from some other websites, and as promised I got the booking confirmation instantly. But to ensure that everything is fine, I called up the hotel and to my horror they said that no booking has been made in my name. I was really pissed off at that time. Then I tried to contact the customer service but they were least bothered about it. I asked for the refund if they can’t help me with the booking as my credit card was already charged, which is still on the process.

Choice4hotels is one of the largest hotels booking service provider since 2001. Every year we serve thousand of hotel booking worldwide and to my greatest satisfaction everything was done within minutes. I booked hotel that was within my budget and when I called up the hotel.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Take a walk along the waterfront

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 15, 2008

Favorite thing: Walking, its one of my favorite ways of getting around a city. I enjoy walking and finding new places to explore whether on or off the beaten path.

I have found that some of my best memories are those where I was just walking, stopping along my way with no set agenda and with plenty of time to do anything. I have found some great small shops, cafes, bars and pubs this way.

Exploring the waterfront

The Information Pin

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 15, 2008

Favorite thing: As we were walking along Christopher Columbus Park we came across what looked like a huge pin (I've seen a bank use this same idea). I had seen them in other parts of Boston and decide to take a closer look and find out they they are all about.

Apparently they are used to "pin-point" a place of interest on your visit to Boston. Cute idea!

Parking

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 9, 2008

Favorite thing: We circled around trying to find a place to park, after driving into the Prudential Center and noticing that their prices were very steep (even for us New Yorkers'). We quickly did an enter and exit and continued to look for a place to park. We found a place about three blocks from The Christian Science Center where we were reluctant to leave the car.

The place was down an alley and looked a bit "dodgy". We decided to just pray and hope that the car would be okay while we did our thing in the city.

We paid $10 to park until 8:00 pm (we arrivied sometime around noon).

Needless to say, the car was fine and we worried about nothing. I will try to find the receipt with the information regarding this parking place.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Our fancy new bridge

by garridogal Written Jul 14, 2008

Favorite thing: Okay, it's not that new anymore. It's been about 6 years or so since The Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge opened. However, we still like to stare at it in awe and it's becoming one of Boston's most popular landmarks.

Fondest memory: Here's something you may not know: The tops of each of the arches mimic the Bunker Hill Memorial.

Our new landmark
    • Cruise
    • Architecture

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Red Auerbach

by travelfrosch Updated Feb 3, 2008

Fondest memory: On October 28, 2006, Arnold "Red" Auerbach, the patriarch of the Boston Celtics, passed away. He was the architect of the Celtics basketball dynasty in the 1960s, as well as the man responsible for bringing Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson, and Danny Ainge to the Green for their championship runs in the 1980s. He was also responsible for bringing one of the first black players in the NBA (Bill Russell) to then-racist Boston (Interestingly, if the Red Sox had such courage in 1946, they could have had Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, and Roberto Clemente on the same team... but I digress...), then a few years later making the controversial move of elevating Russell to Player/Coach. Incredibly, just 20 years later, Auerbach was acccused of being racist for fielding a predominantly white team in the 1980s. Auerbach made a classic response: "Most teams (in the NBA) have a bunch of black players being led by a white coach. The Celtics have a bunch of white players being led by a black coach (K.C. Jones). Now you tell me who's being racist!"

Red, thanks for the championships, for the history, and for simply being yourself against all of the naysayers. You will be sorely missed.

Red Auerbach
    • Study Abroad

• shohman's Profile Photo

The Dropkick Murphy's

by shohman Written Jan 1, 2008

Favorite thing: Boston has cranked out great bands and musciains for years. Right now, the best one in my opinion is the Dropkick Murphy's. Irish Punk is what the press seems to call it. Call it what you like, but they are a great band. You may have heard them on the soundtrack to The Departed.

I'M SHIPPING UP TO BOSTON TO FIND MY WOODEN LEG!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cows on Parade

by cjg1 Updated Nov 6, 2006

Favorite thing: I really do dig these street art trends. Cows, Bulls, Bears. Whatever.

Boston has the cows now. They are pretty much everywhere and like so many of these exhibitions they will probably leave a couple around town at the end.

It gives a unique feel to the town to see the time sensitive things. A reason to come back and witness the changes of time.

• diver-x's Profile Photo

St. Patrick's Day

by diver-x Written Oct 20, 2006

Favorite thing: Irish immigrants have been coming to Boston for centuries and the Irish community is a huge presence in town. Traditionally South Boston is the epicenter of Irish culture in Boston. St. Patrick's Day is a huge event and the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Southie is the 2nd largest in the United States. The parade is held on the first Sunday after St. Patrick's Day (March 17), at 1:00. The parade route starts at the Broadway subway stop on the Red Line and goes down W. Broadway, E.Broadway, E. 4th St and Dorchester Ave., ending up at Andrew Square (the Andrew stop on the Red Line).

Check out the Southie Parade web site: http://www.southieparade.org/

• Festivals

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

DINNER THEATER

by moiraistyx Written Sep 13, 2006

Favorite thing: If there is one thing Boston has plenty of, its dinner theater. When I visited my friend Tim in October of 1995 we went to see a wonderful production called Tony and Tina's Wedding (you can find information on the show at http://www.tonylovestina.com/quotes.cfm). The food was OK, but the performance was awesome. The actors involved the "wedding guests" and made it all a part of the show. I turned the "drunken man of honor" story line into him being madly in love with the groom. We laughed so hard we cried. Anyway, that show isn't there anymore but there are plent of others to chose from. I think you'll like it.

Tim and I at the wedding

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

HORSE AND BUGGY RIDES

by moiraistyx Written Sep 11, 2006

Favorite thing: One of the most notable fixtures in Boston besides it's buildings and historical land marks are the horse drawn buggies through out the city, expecially near Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market. When we went on our ride over 15 years ago it cost about $10 per person. I don't have a clue as to what it would be now. You can't deny the romance of going on a horse and buggy ride through the streets of Boston.

Horse and Buggy Steve Papp and me in front of horse and buggy.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Cow Parade

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 21, 2006

Favorite thing: This is the closest these city dwellers have ever gotten to a cow.

Throughout Boston during the summer of 2006 is a display of painted cows. Over 100 painted cows are part of a fundraiser. Artists were invited to paint a life sized sculpture of a cow to be displayed all summer long on a sidewalk or a park. A high concentration of these cows is in the Back Bay part of Boston. In October 2006 the cows will be rounded up and auctioned to the highest bidders. Proceeds will go to The Jimmy Fund, a nonprofit organization which supports cancer research and care.

The cows were fun to see, and the artwork was quite impressive. We enjoyed going round a corner and coming across yet another cow to inspect!

The family with Old Bessie in Boston

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Holiday Inn Express Boston
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: Boston

Comments

Boston Favorites

travelfrosch's Profile Photo

My favorites are the views, the people, and the beer.  What will your favorites be?

Map of Boston