Old South Church, Boston
Along the Freedom Trail, two blocks from the Old State House ... you can see the steeple or go inside and tour (there is a charge) the Old South Meeting House.
At the time it was built in 1729 as a Congregational Church, the Old South Meeting House was the largest meeting space in Colonial Boston. When attendance at town meetings grew too large for Faneuil Hall, the Old South Meeting House served as a meeting site. In the years prior to the Revolution, town meetings were frequent at Old South as people gathered here to protest British rule. The most famous meeting took place here on December 16, 1773. Five thousand angry colonists came to protest the British tea tax. After the meeting a group of colonists went to the waterfront, boarded three ships, and dumped the tea into the harbor. The Boston Tea Party brought about the beginning of the American Revolution.
Located across the street from extraordinary Trinity Church, the beauty of the Old South Church is often being ignored by tourists. Originally founded in 1869 the Old South Church was moved to its current location in 1875, just four years later than the Trinity.
645 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
On December 16, 1773 , 5,000 angry colonists met here to protest the tax on tea. this meeting resulted in the Boston Tea Party which started the American Revolution.
The Old South Meeting House was built in 1729 as a Puritan house of worship. It was here that Samuel Adams gave the signal to proceed with the Boston Tea Party. (see above.)
Fondest memory: The Old South Meeting House is located at 310 Washington Street.
For information phone: