Religion, Boston

Know about this?

• Trinity Church next to the John Hancock Tower
    Trinity Church next to the John Hancock...
    by RhondaRuth
  • RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

Holy Trinity Church Members

by RhondaRuth Updated Apr 4, 2011

Trinity Church next to the John Hancock Tower

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, BOSTON, MA. was founded in 1844, as a "National Church". A Catholic typically belongs to the parish closest to where he or she lives. Not so with a "National Church". Any Catholic of German extraction who belongs to the Archdiocese of Boston, can elect to be a member of Holy Trinity Parish, regardless of where he or she actually lives. Thus, the 150-plus years of records at Holy Trinity don't stop at the parish's geographical borders. Catholics of German heritage from ALL over the Boston area may have roots in HTC!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Saint Peter

by acemj Updated Sep 24, 2005

While Andrea and I were strolling through the North End, I noticed this shrine (I think it's on Fulton or Commercial Street toward the east side of the North End) called "All Saints Way". I took a picture and as soon as I did, a man emerged and asked me why I was taking a picture. I thought he was mad at first and I told him that the light was right and the flowers and images of the saints made a nice photo. His name was Peter and welcomed us inside and talked to us about all kinds of saints and the Catholic church. He good-naturedly gave me a hard time when I told him I was Christian but not Catholic.

Anyway, Peter was very happy to show us his shrine and didn't ask us for a dime. He's very knowledgeable about just about every saint from anyplace on earth. When I told him I live in Philadelphia, he showed me two pictures of two saints from Philly and told me a little about their lives. If you're in the North End, keep your eyes out for this place.

• ucbwalker's Profile Photo

Boston has a fascinating blend...

by ucbwalker Written Aug 25, 2002

Boston has a fascinating blend of Protestant and Catholic churches, notable for their contrasting architectural styles. At the time of its foundation, the Massachusetts colony was heavily populated by Protestant Puritans, but as their dream of building a religiously governed City on a Hill wilted in the face of accelerating American entrepreneurship, the religious makeup of the colony began to diversify. Waves of immigration from Ireland (in response to the horrible Irish Potato Famine) prior to the American Civil War made Catholicism the most prominent religion in Boston. Today you can see many churches from both denominations throughout the city, as well as moving monuments to those who died in the potato famine.

Instant Answers: Boston