Black Rose, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

All things Irish
    by Gypsystravels
  • Liz and I (pic taken by our new friend Marc)
    Liz and I (pic taken by our new friend...
    by cjg1
    Reaching for another Guiness
    by cjg1
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Black Rose: Overrated mediocre place!!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

All things Irish

The Black Rose is considered one of only two "authentic" Irish pubs in Boston. This Irish establishment is a few yards away from Quincy Market, making it a big draw. You can expect a varied crowd at any time you visit which includes lcoals and tourists alike.

Throughout the pub you find country flags as well as coats of armor and some historical memorablilia. And, to top of the Irish atmosphere, there are plenty of waitresses and bartenders that are "fresh-off-the-boat".

There's nothing spectacular or great about this place orther than it's history. Their selection of beers isn't grand and their menu leaves alot to be desired and I find their dishes to be mediocre at best. I find the menu to be quite boring actually, not exciting or refreshing in my opinion that would make it a "stand out" place.

Ferni and I have been here a few times on our visits and we have tried a few of their dishes, but honestly, I would only come here to enjoy a few drinks at best. I personally don't understand what all the hub-bub is about this place...so if you really want to enjoy some good food, I would skip this place. If you are here with a group of friends or your loved one and you just want a drink, it isn't so bad.

• Beer Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Black Rose: Pub out of the cold

by cjg1 Updated Feb 2, 2010

Liz and I (pic taken by our new friend Marc)

Just about everytime I'm in this town I wind up at The Black Rose. It's a nice pub atmosphere and has decent food to boot. The place is two levels with a nice sized bar area on the first level with a dining room. The second level has more seating for dining. I enjoy the casual feel of this place and the friendliness of the patrons. Yes, it is a "tourist" place but there is nothing wrong with tourist places once in awhile.

The food here is typical pub grub with appetizers such as potato skins, chicken fingers and fried calamari. They have salads and soups; of course Clam Chowder is on the menu...it is Boston. Burgers and sanwiches such as cornbeef and steak are available for lunch or dinner. Shepard's Pie, Fisn 'n Chips, and Bangers and Mash are some Irish favorites on the menu; I am partial to the shepard's pie. You will also find Lobster as well a filet mignon if your are looking for a bigger meal.

My most recent visit to the Black Rose was with Liz during one of our typical New England weekend getaways. After some shopping we decided to duck in for some drinks and to rest from walking. I had a few pints of Guiness which was just what I wanted to warm me up. Liz enjoyed some club sodas with lime. We had a fun time watching soccer and discussing football with another patron and Boston Native.

Do be advised that the kitchen closes by 9pm. So it is NOT a late night snack place. If you want a table you must order food they won't give you a table just to drink.

Dress Code: Its a pub. During the day anyway anything goes. I wore my evil empire shirt and no one said or did anything. (see Hong Kong for a pic of it). Most partons are in casual attire so don't worry about getting "dressed" to hang here.

• Beer Tasting

• dracko's Profile Photo

Black Rose: Nice place for a pint

by dracko Written Nov 13, 2003

Black Rose is a fairly typical Irish American pub. It's pretty good size, and is usually fairly full. There's a good size dinner area, as well as a well-stocked bar. I remember the food being good, but it's been years since I ate there, so I can't recommend anything specific. The beer, on the other hand, was very fresh as of a few days ago... They pour a very nice & proper pint of Guinness.

The crowd varies, but tends to be groups & families. So it's probably not a great place to go to meet new people. But the atmosphere is still very lively & cozy. It is a great place to hang out with your friends, as we proved during the most recent VT meeting there. So if you and your friends are hanging out in Boston, do make it a point to stop by.

Dress Code: No dress code to speak of. Pretty casual.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Black Rose: Popular Irish Pub

by Paul2001 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Black Rose at night

There are more "Irish Pubs" in Boston than you care to count but The Black Rose was one of the better ones. This is probably because it features alot of live Irish music. The band was pretty good and actually Irish. The bar is quite large and there is plenty of seeing here too. However short of the name and the band there is little here that jumps out at you and says "Irish". Hence it is really another decent bar in Boston with a good band. The Black Rose is part of a chain of restaurant/pubs with an Irish theme in Boston.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Irish Bar: The Black Rose

by Nathalie_B Updated Sep 1, 2002

You absolutely must “The Black Rose”. My friend Silke and I went to this place twice:
    We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere during the day and had a real fun at night drinking beer and enjoying Irish music played by a great band named “Celtic Clan”. We had only one problem…. they didn’t serve any food after 9p.m. on Friday night! So if you’re hungry and planning to go there at night make sure their kitchen is not closed. (sorry for the bad quality of the picture)

• KnotH3ad's Profile Photo

The Black Rose: The Black Rose

by KnotH3ad Written Aug 25, 2002

Two floors of live Irish music in an Irish Pub. Good food, excellent music, Irish bartenders and waitress, cool clientelle. This is my favorite place in Boston. Friday and Saturday nights can be wicked fun.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Black Rose: Acoustic Music

by shohman Written Jun 20, 2005

The Black Rose

The Black Rose is a staple for downtown Boston. Good beer, a usualy great crowd and live music alsways make for a great time.

Instant Answers: Boston