Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

Mozzarella sticks
    by Gypsystravels
    Steps down to the restaurant/pub
    by Gypsystravels
    inside
    by machomikemd
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers: Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

The Cheers sign

I've passed this pub many times and normally I wouldn't bother going inside if it's classified as a "tourist" place (which means too crowded, overpriced meals and drinks and not so good service), but we were strolling along Beacon after a really nice walk across Boston Commons and Gardens when we happened upon the bar.

Ferni wanted to go in, use the facilities, take a look around the bar and maybe have a drink or two. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in. The bar was crowded but not overly as there was room to walk around in. The bar looks nothing like the Cheers bar (don't think they filmed inside anyway), but the walls were decorated with everything Cheers.

We made our way to the restrooms and on our way back checked out the gift shop. We lingered for a bit and since there was a spot for us to sit, we decided to stay and have a drink or two.

The bar/restaurant has plenty of tables and there were many people enjoying their meals. The burgers looked yummy but we had already had our dinner, if not I am sure the sight of the burgers would have surely convinced us to stay and eat here.

The prices, service and friendliness of the staff surprised me. I had a Blue Moon Ale and Ferni had a Rum & Coke. The drinks were very affordable, our tab for two drinks was $10, now that's cheap!

Dress Code: I had a Blue Moon, Ferni had a Rum & Coke, we've also had the mozzarella sticks as well.

Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers: Cheers Beacon Hill Part two

by machomikemd Written Oct 26, 2010
    cheers!

This is part two of my Original Cheers Pub Tips (more pictures since VT only allows 5 pictures max per tip) . well this is the setting for the Iconic Cheers TV Series and they even had a large party in 1993 here when the series ended in 1993 which was star studded but the truth is that only the outside part of the bar was used in the iconic TV Program (and they copied the inside of the bar for the cheer's other branch in fanneuil hall/quincy market area) I may even put this into the tourist trap category due to the touristy nature of the pub. it has 2 floors, the ground floor and the basement (the basement is better since it is the original ok) But you also have to have a review of the place hence I would say that the price of the local brews like sam adams and the microbrewed or artisanal beers are reasonable at $ 6 a mug for local draft and $ 7 a mug for the microbrewed. other bar cxxhow likex burgers start at $ 10 and the fish and chips at $ 15 and my favorite calamari at $ 14 an order.

feel free to buy the assorted touristy stuff like key chains, ref magnets, shot glass, beer mugs, t-shirts and a lot more in their souvenir shops located beside the bars at both levels hehehe.

Dress Code: smart casual, definitely no flip flops ok!

Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers: the Original Cheers in Beacon hill Part 1

by machomikemd Written Oct 26, 2010
    me

This is part one of my Original Cheers Pub Tips (more pictures for part two) . well this is the setting for the Iconic Cheers TV Series and they even had a large party in 1993 here when the series ended in 1993 which was star studded but the truth is that only the outside part of the bar was used in the iconic TV Program (and they copied the inside of the bar for the cheer's other branch in fanneuil hall/quincy market area) I may even put this into the tourist trap category due to the touristy nature of the pub. it has 2 floors, the ground floor and the basement (the basement is better since it is the original ok) But you also have to have a review of the place hence I would say that the price of the local brews like sam adams and the microbrewed or artisanal beers are reasonable at $ 6 a mug for local draft and $ 7 a mug for the microbrewed. other bar cxxhow likex burgers start at $ 10 and the fish and chips at $ 15 and my favorite calamari at $ 14 an order.

Dress Code: smart casual, definitely no flip flops ok!

Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers: transplanted to Quincy Market

by machomikemd Updated Oct 26, 2010
    front

the iconic cheers bar (or Bull & Finch) has a branch here in touristy Quincy Market for people who cannot go to the main branch in the Luxe Beacon Hill area. "Cheers" (the television show) fans can stop by for a drink in an exact replica of the inside bar on the TV show here in the Quincy Market. (the original cheers pub in Beacon Hill only has outside shots of cheers). The exterior location shots of the bar were of the Bull & Finch Pub, located directly north of the Boston Public Garden, which has become a tourist attraction because of its association with the series and draws in nearly a million visitors annually. It has since been renamed Cheers Beacon Hill, though its interior is different from the TV bar. To further capitalize on the show's popularity, another bar, Cheers Faneuil Hall, was built to be a replica of the show's set to provide tourists with a bar whose interior was closer to the one they saw on TV. It is near Faneuil Hall, about a mile from the Bull & Finch Pub, hence i might put this on the tourist trap page hehehe

Dress Code: smart casual.

local draft beers starts at $ 5 a mug and $ 6 for Local Microbrewed or Local Crafted brews. Cocktails start at $ 8 and the burgers start at $ 10.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers: Boston's Most Popular Tourist Trap

by Paul2001 Written Oct 10, 2007

Cheers in |Beacon Hill

I originally did not intend upon visiting the most popular tourist trap in Boston, the Cheers Bar, I finally did. This was only when I had some time to kill after the museums closed for the night and before it was a decent hour for dinner.
    I knew in advance that the Cheers Bar was not anything like the bar that became so famous in the "Cheers" TV show as only the facade was actually used. The bar was in fact originally called the Bull and Finch Pub (and still was at the time of my first trip to Boston) before its name was recently changed. The interior of the bar is rather small compared to the TV show and is just a bar about 4m long and a seating area in front. There is another room towards the rear of the bar which I think may have been an addition after the bar became so popular. The walls of the bar are covered with Boston sports memorabilia and of course from the TV show. Patrons go in and out of the bar in a flurry and this probably ruined any homeiness that you ask for a neighborhood bar. I suspect that before the show, it probably quaint. I did enjoy my pint and I figured that if you came here much later to catch a Red Sox game on television you might even forget what a tourist trap it has become.

• SueRivet's Profile Photo

The bar from Cheers is located...

by SueRivet Updated Aug 25, 2002

The bar from Cheers is located in Boston. It's not much, but if you're a Cheers fan, it'll bring back memories. In the meantime, enjoy!
    NORM PETERSON QUOTES
    If you ever wished you could remember Norm's greetings on 'Cheers' here you go.

SAM: 'What's shaking Norm?'

NORM: 'All four cheeks & a couple of chins.'

SAM: 'What's new Normie?'

NORM: 'Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach & they're demanding beer.'

SAM: 'What'd you like Normie?'

NORM: 'A reason to live. Give me another beer.'

SAM: 'What'll you have Normie?'

NORM: 'Well, I'm in a gambling mood Sammy. I'll take a glass of whatever comes out of that tap.'

SAM: 'Looks like beer, Norm.'

NORM: 'Call me Mister Lucky.'

SAM: 'Hey Norm, how's the world been treating you?'

NORM: 'Like a baby treats a diaper.'

WOODY: 'What's the story Mr. Peterson?'

NORM: 'The Bobbsey twins go to the brewery. Let's cut to the happy ending.'

WOODY: 'Hey Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.'

NORM: 'I know, if she calls, I'm not here.'

SAM: 'Beer, Norm?'

NORM: 'Have I gotten that predictable? Good.'

SAM:'Whatcha up to Norm?'

NORM: 'My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.'

WOODY: 'How's it going Mr. Peterson?'

NORM: 'Poor.'

WOODY: 'I'm sorry to hear that.'

NORM: 'No, I mean pour.'

SAM: 'How's life treating you Norm?'

NORM: 'Like it caught me sleeping with its wife.'

SAM: 'What's going down, Normie?'

NORM: 'My butt cheeks on that bar stool.'

WOODY: 'Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?'

NORM: 'All right, but stop me at one.... make that one-thirty.'

WOODY: 'How's it going Mr. Peterson?'

NORM: 'It's a dog eat dog world, Woody & I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear.'

SAM: 'What's the story Norm?'

NORM: 'Boy meets beer. Boy drinks beer. Boy meets another beer.'

WOODY: 'What's going on Mr. Peterson?'

NORM: 'The question is what's going in Mr. Peterson? A beer please, Woody.'

WOODY: 'Can I pour you a beer Mr. Peterson?'

NORM: 'A little early isn't it, Woody?'

WOODY: 'For a beer?'

NORM: 'No, for stupid questions.'

• acemj's Profile Photo

Bull & Finch Pub, better known...

by acemj Written Aug 25, 2002

Bull & Finch Pub, better known for the inspiration for the television show 'Cheers.'
    I just snapped this shot. I didn't actually go here. If you're really into nightlife, there is a pub that is located right next to Faneuil Hall and across from the Holocaust Memorial that looked like it was jumpin'! I can't remember the name, but it was absolutely packed and the sign said it's the oldest pub in Boston.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Bull & Finch Pub / Cheers: Cheers to the memories of a bar and TV show

by ChadSteve1975 Written Jul 26, 2003
    Where everybody know your name

The Bull & Finch is the bar credited with being the inspiration for the classic comedy series Cheers which launched many a career and spinoffs.

Dress Code: Casual