Purple Shamrock, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

Purple Shamrock
    by shohman
    Facade of The Purple Shamrock
    by moirholj
  • moirholj's Profile Photo

Purple Shamrock: Bar&Grill by day, Club Music/Dancing by night.

by moirholj Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dress Code: To the best of my memory there is no dress code for the Purple Shamrock by day or by night. However, past a certain point in the evening they begin to charge a cover price to get in the door. At night I guess I'd say no sweat suits or gym clothes. Jeans and sneakers should be fine though.

Facade of The Purple Shamrock
    • Study Abroad
    • Singles

• Purple Shamrock: Purple Shamrock

by grkboiler Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Purple Shamrock has always been a good time every time I go to Boston. My friend and I use it as a meeting place for his friends and some BU students and we stick around for a couple hours before heading out somewhere else.

It is an Irish pub with live music on certain nights. The band is usually decent, the crowd is good and so is the atmosphere. It was packed with mostly college kids every time I went. Friday and Saturday night are the only nights I have been, so I couldn't tell you about weeknights.

There is a cover charge. Last time I went it was $5. As far as lines, the longest I had to wait to get in was 20 minutes.

Dress Code: Casual

• sjvessey's Profile Photo

The Purple Shamrock

by sjvessey Written Aug 25, 2002

The Purple Shamrock

A dingy Irish bar (there's lots of these in Boston, surprise surprise), sometimes with live music. Early in the evening, you can also eat here, though I wouldn't recommend it - you're better off going to the McDonald's next door.

Later on the tables are cleared away to reveal the dance floor. It gets pretty busy on Friday / Saturday nights, and there's sometimes a $3 cover charge.

Attracts a particular kind of crowd - tends to be young (early 20s) and (at least on the male side) rather neanderthal. If you like wearing shorts that go past your knees, a shirt that's 3 sizes too big, and a baseball hat on backwards, you'll fit right in. Girls, if that's your kind of guy, this is your place.

Dress Code: Anything. 'Big night out' clothes on Friday / Saturday.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Purple Shamrock: more pub life

by shohman Updated Apr 4, 2011

another staple of downtown, the Purple Shamrock always has a good, fun crowd and live music. It's a club, pub, dance party. They also serve pub grub.

Dress Code: casual