Know about this? Rate It!
LEXINGTON and CONCORD
Lexington and Concord are steeped in history. Located west of Boston, they were where the first Revolutionary War battles were faught.
Things to see in Lexington include; Lexington Battle Green, Minuteman Statue, Revolutionary Monument
The Old Burying Ground and Historical Houses.
Things to see in Concord include; North Bridge,
Alcot family home (Little Women), Sleepy Hollow Cemetary, Walden Pond, The Concord Museum
- National/State Park
- Museum Visits
- Historical Travel
Take a ferry from Rowes Wharf out to the harbor islands. There are many many islands out there, some of them developed; one even has a former tb sanitarium on it. And there is a sewage processing plant on Deer Island, which is very interesting to look at. Then there is George's Island, where a Civil War fort still stands, largely intact. It is a great place to take the family for a picnic for the day. Plenty of place for kids to run around and explore. History to intrigue the adults... aaaaannnnnddd a ghost in residence to thrill everyone! - It is said that the wife of a Southern General still haunts the hallways. They call her "The Black Lady" because she wears always black in honor of her husband's death.
Bring a sweater, it can be windy and chilly even in the summer, something to eat, and a flashlight to explore the darker areas of the fort.
Birthplace of the telephone
It's not out of the way, but few people know about it. Tucked in front of the JFK Federal Building at Government Center and a few steps away from Tremont Street is a plaque commemorating the birthplace of the telephone. Here's the text of the inscription:
"Here, on June 2, 1875, Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Watson first transmitted sound over wires.
The successful experiment was completed in a fifth floor garret at what was then 109 Court Street and marked the beginning of world-wide telephone service."
Hah, and you didn't think you were gonna learn something on this trip :)
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Boston Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Barbados Hotels
- Marikina Hotels
- Kampong Pasir Ris Hotels
- Amritsar Hotels
- Airlie Beach
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path