Know about this? Rate It!
The Bay Village
The Bay Village is a charming little neighbourhood around Church Street. Much like Beacon Hill, the homes here were built in the early 19th century. The Bay Village's homes attest to what most of downtown Boston's residential areas looked like before the Civil War. A close sense of community is paramount to neighbourhood residents, who have their own neighbourhood association and school. Edgar Allen Poe was born here in the early 1800s and in the 1860s the entire neighbourhood was raised 10 feet higher, as it had been below sea level previously. This has produced some interesting effects, from homes whose first floors are several feet off the street to 'sunken gardens' which are below street level. This area is very pleasant to stroll about in, as there is hardly any traffic and the only noise is the patter of feet on the brick sidewalks and cobbled alleys. For a plasant stroll, head down Church Street from Stuart Street and admire the many sidestreets of the area, with arching elm trees and aging rowhomes.
The South End
Not to be confused with South Boston (the Irish part of the city), this area is a very live and active. There are many locals and really good restaurants.
To arrive there, you can walk to south from Boston Common, along Tremont street.
By T... Back Bay station on the orange line, or Arlington on the green line (if you want to walk a bit more).
Frighten friends and loved ones
by ordering this cocktail at Pho Republic. It's a Kir with some Chinese fruit in it that'll keep 'em all guessing.... I'll pass, thanks!
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Boston Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Flushing Hotels
- Port Royal Hotels
- Santorini Island
- Bukit Fraser
- Hallstatt Hotels
- Skegness Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path