Charlie's Kitchen, Boston

• rosalina's Profile Photo

Charlie's Kitchen: The place where people DO know your name

by rosalina Updated Nov 11, 2003

Inside Charlies

Got into Cambridge for the first time. I was tired, hungry and a bit irritable. I decided to eat in the first place I ran into. It was Charlies Kitchen. I walked into what I thought was a hole-in-the-wall greasy spoon place. Sat myself at a vinal booth and was treated to one of the friendliest meals of my life!
    My waitress, Helen, was a kind older woman who treated me immediatly like a daughter. Told me the places to be careful of in town and gave me some great guy advice, all while serving up some of the best clam chowder I've had. And don't think I'm so special to deserve that treatment.
    Everyone in the very small restaurant got the same smile and good nature from all the staff.

In the evening you can mingle w/ the huge college crowd upstairs, or stay w/ the locals downstairs where the bar is small but the atmosphere is wonderfully welcoming. Met so many great and diverse people in this teeny-tiny place.
    Charlie's Kitchen is unpretentious, warm and is what all neighborhood diners try to be. Miss home? Charlie's will help brush the snow off your shoulders and welcome you like a long lost friend.

Favorite Dish: Clam chowder was AWESOME!!! Thick and not skimping on the clams. It's made in the the restaurant, just the thing to warm you up.

• Work Abroad