Jacob Wirth, Boston

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Jacob Wirth: Great atmosphere and food

by CEP1863 Written Oct 24, 2013
    Interior of Jacob Wirth

This was another place that we had previously walked past and we decided to return when after a long day of exploring the city, we wanted somewhere close to our hotel.

We were totally amazed with the array of beers on offer and the collection of beer pulls that decorated the premises were really interesting as we looked for the names of beers that we recognised as we waited for our food. We had ordered a Jake's Burger, a Boursin Mushroom Burger and a Classic Veggie Burger. You could see the chef preparing the food and when it arrived, our burgers were cooked to perfection, full of flavour and something to really savour. Throughout our fining experience there was an excellent pianist playing which added to the experience.

Definitely a place to visit especially if you enjoy beer.

Favorite Dish: Classic Veggie Burger
    Jake's Burger

Both were packed full of flavour and were cooked to perfection.

• Beer Tasting

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

Jacob Wirth's: Schnitzel in Boston!

by donpaul77 Updated Jan 6, 2009

jacob wirth

This beautiful old restaurant has been serving up German food and beer for generations. Jacob Wirth's has been in this cool old building since 1878 when Herr Wirth, a German immigrant, opened the restaurant. It's open floor plan, dark mahogany wood work and noisy atmosphere lend it a German ambiance.

Favorite Dish: I have had the pork schnitzel, which was tender and delicious. I've also had the mac n' cheese with chicken, which was absolutely awesome. The cuisine is really good comfort food. they have several traditional German dishes and also serve a variety of German beers.

• Beer Tasting

• greenjay's Profile Photo

Jacob Wirth: They Don't Make 'Em Like This Anymore

by greenjay Written Feb 28, 2007

interior of Jacob Wirth showing bar just before lu

As a 65 year old native Bostonian, I can tell you Boston has no ethnic German neighborhood that I'm aware of, and although I've been to Germany, I don't know anything about German food. Jacob Wirth is just a great restaurant or even a place to stop for a couple of drinks. We always go there when we are in Boston. It is relatively expensive, which is a shame because I always want to spend the evening there. I have seen lots of restaurants come and go in Boston, but Jacob Wirth has been at the same location serving the same great food for well over a hundred years. The best thing about it is that there is nothing phony or plastic about the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Your best bet is a sampler. That is a dish with a few different kinds of wursts, some kraut, and potatoes. Try that on your first trip and decide what you'd like to have more of on your next trip.

• vivimero's Profile Photo

Jacob Wirth: german

by vivimero Written Jun 18, 2006

old fashioned, it closes very early usually and when you get out of a thatre is not possible to have dinner.
    so we went there early on sunday evening with Rupert and had a clam chowder but the menu is very rich so when we went there for lunch on monday we tried a chicken sandwich.
    I am sure that the german food was delicious but I have to be on a diet....so could not try the sausage.

Favorite Dish: the one i couldn't eat!

• rids's Profile Photo

Jacob Wirth

by rids Written Aug 25, 2002

Jacob Wirth
    German immigrant Jacob Wirth started serving hearty food to Bostonians since 1868; he moved his restaurant to this location several years later. His family maintained the tradition, and the cuisine and atmosphere have changed little over the years. The late 19th century interior remains virtually intact. Built in 1845, the buildings are the only survivors of the bow-front Greek Revival rowhouses that once dominated the area. In 1889, Wirth expanded next door, adding the storefront that unites the properties today.

Favorite Dish: Grilled Weisswurst, Rotkohl, Fish & Chips (yes I had fish & chips--after all, this is Boston).

Instant Answers: Boston

Comments

Hotels Near Jacob Wirth
4.0 out of 5 stars