La Famiglia Spagnuolo, Boston

242 Hanover Street 617-742-9124

Cheryl & I
    Claudia & I
    by LennyG
    Renny & I (Renny & Lenny)
  • JenniferR12's Profile Photo

La Famiglia Spagnolo: horrible!

by JenniferR12 Written Nov 4, 2012

I just finished my review entitled "Extremely Overpriced" and yet I forgot one more comment! When we asked for a "to go" container for our left over pizza, the waitress said, "we have been really busy, we don't have anymore TO GO containers." I then asked for some aluminum foil instead and she said that they didn't have any of that either! I then heard another lady yell to her, "Just get some paperplates and paper bag"...The waitress came back with 2 flimsy Easter Egg paper plates and a plastic bag! Nice!!!

• JenniferR12's Profile Photo

La Famiglia Spagnolo: Extremely overpriced

by JenniferR12 Written Nov 4, 2012

My family and I went in for lunch. We were first seated at a table with a dirty tablecloth and we asked to move to a different table. We ordered our food and I asked for a salad with grilled chicken. The waitress said that they don't make that but I could build it. I did. When the bill came the charge for the salad with grilled chicken was $15.95. I thought it was a mistake, but when i asked for clarification, they said that was the correct price!! A house salad with a grilled chicken breast $15.95??????? My husband's glass of red house wine was $7.50. The bathroom was also dirty! I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone!

• La Famiglia Spagnuolo: Don't be fooled by the snobs

by oakheart Updated Nov 16, 2011

This restaurant is a delightful change of pace hidden within the pressed linen high classed restaurants of Hanover Street. Not that there is anything wrong with the experience of high end dining, but La Famiglia Spagnuolo is a viable alternative for those on a budget, or those that don't mind great food served on cheap plates. You EAT at La Famiglia Spagnuolo, you don't DINE. Eating here is like if you were invited into Claudia's house for dinner. The "ambiance" is a fantastic kitch, all the better because La Famiglia Spagnuolo seems completely unaware that it is an kitchy artifact of rustic local flavor of the North End, it just is, right down to the purple plastic grape string lights on the wall. If you don't go into this restaurant with high expectations for the garnishing of fine dining in a small family eatery, you wont be disappointed about the most important thing. The food, simple as it is, is great. Not a place for snobs, but a place for people that just love food. Claudia is always around, just like your Italian grandmother, and even if your not Italian, you are when you're here.

• La Famiglia Spagnuolo: Boston's Best Italian Hidden Gem!

by seville880 Updated Dec 14, 2010

Went to La Famiglia Spagnuolo during restaurant this past weekend. For many restaurants in the North End area during the Christmas season is a very busy time. Expecting that my service and food size would drop off during this time of year, I was gladly surprised with everything!

I had ordered the caesar salad, filet, mashed potatoes and cheese cake from the menu. My wife had ordered the caesar salad, salmon, green beans and triple chocolate moose. All portions were larger than expectations and the service was top notch.

Our server was exceptional and very friendly. The host and side servers were also very welcoming and just created a great experience for us both. The ambience is second to none. To top things off I highly recommend La Famiglia Spagnuolo’s after dinner cappuccino.

I am not one who enjoys hot cappuccino, but I still salavate at the toughts of that cappuccino and meal. Definitely will be back soon, a great restaurant and staff to match is hard to find! Prices are more than reasonable.

• La Famiglia Spagnuolo: Worst Restaurant EVER!!! Don't Go in There!!

by ericade8784 Written Sep 28, 2010

This was the most horrible restaurant I have ever been to in my entire life. I opened an account with Virtual Tourist just so I could review this place. It should have been a warning flag walking into this restaurant on a Saturday night that there was no wait. Another tip should have been the handmade signs (which looked curiously like post-it notes, actually) that claimed "Best Pizza in Town." I still haven't discovered which town they were talking about, but it couldn't have been Boston. I have had better Italian food out of a Chef Boyardee can or a Stouffer's frozen meal box. I ordered veal and my dining companions ordered various pasta dishes. I was unaware that it was possible to screw pasta up. The food was pretty underpriced for the area, but overpriced for the horrendous quality. Beverages were extremely overpriced (12 oz. cans of soda and bottles of beer) The service was comically bad. Our waitress for the evening was a middle aged woman with blond hair and who shuffled around. Threw plates down in front of us, and would go on about how she was "busy", and would mumble insulting remarks under her breath. Getting refills of beverages in this place was a laughable prospect. They might of had four other unsuspecting parties come in after we did. The bathrooms were DISGUSTING!! They smelled of cats and were pretty dirty. Instead of refilling the hand soap, they had added so much water to what had been in the soap bottle that it was no longer even making suds. I have the suspicion that the people who make the awful food are "washing" their hands in that bathroom as well (I use the term "washing" loosely, because all you could do was rub your hands together under running water). No paper towels or drying apparatus could be located. They had added their own gratuity on our tab for a TABLE OF FOUR (18% for their insulting service) which they could not split up because our waitress said, and I quote "I got five other tables, I'm busy" and their credit card machine was "down, someone spilled water on it... You can walk to the atm across the street". We should have walked to that atm and never came back to pay.... Don't let them think that it's bad because you're in Boston. Boston isn't the problem. They are. I was surprised that no one in our party got food poisoning that night. I even went out of my way the rest of the evening when I walked past it again to let everyone (even the ones pausing to glance at the sign) know not to go there. I dare-say that this is the WORST Restaurant in Boston, then in Massachusetts, and would probably the runner-up for the entire United States. If there is a restaurant in Boston on a Saturday night with no wait, don't do it. Go stand in line to grab a snack at Mike's pastry, and then go wait in line for a restaurant worth going to. Unless you want an experience that you can look back on later and laugh about.

• La Famiglia Spangnolo: Chef Boyardee would have walked out!

by malyaple Updated Dec 31, 2009

Walked in with a Party of 7.
    No toilet paper or Paper towels in bathroom, bathroom was terrible!
    Moms clams were tough as rubber balls, they offered to do nothing! They should have compt it.
    Sisters Chicken Parmigiana dry and tough chicken, sauce bland!
    Wife and sister in law shared a bloated stuffed cal zone, stuffed large with air!
    I'm ticked off when I receive Ice burg lettuce in an Italian restaurant.
    Dad, Grampa and myself try hard not to complain. Added 18 percent tip without any notice! Bad, Bad, Bad, and service bad, food bad.
    My first time eating in a Boston restaurant, not sure if I want to come to Boston again! The City should shut the place down.

• La Famiglia Spagnuolo: HORRIBLE!

by siren0076 Written Aug 10, 2007

Lack of class and customer service here! Went with my friends and family...9 in total. we ordered 2 cheese pizzas one garlic bread,7 canned sodas, and 2 apple juices. Pizza was priced at 12.95 for a large(not a bad price) but our total was $64.00!! When I questioned the bill...the rather large white haired woman yelled at me and stated the bill was correct...that they have to pay gas to truck the soda in! I just wanted to leave...so we paid and walked out while the crazed one went on to people outside. Seriously, this place was a dump with hostess cupcakes on the hutch in front of us and assorted medication. The bathrooms were so bad, I could not let my daughter use it. It surprises me that the board of health has not shut this place down.

Favorite Dish: NONE

• La Famiglia Spagnuolo: Service non existent

by Friskylover Written Jan 4, 2006

The service was poor -- slipshod waitress, slow delivery, no water, off-kilter delivery of appetizers/salads/entrees -- especially since we were informed at the end of the meal that the "credit card machine was out of service" and we had to run across the street to the ATM machine (& get charged $1.50 for the pleasure), PLUS tip was automatically added in (20% for our party of 4) without any notification either on the menu or verbally by the waitress.
    The food was good, especially for the price, but the atmosphere was like a pizza joint. We would've left with a much better feeling about the place if we hadn't had to run across the street to the ATm at the last moment, especially after noting the Discover/Visa/MC stickers all over the door. We definitely won't be going back.

• LennyG's Profile Photo

La Famiglia Spagnuolo: North End

by LennyG Written Aug 20, 2004
    Good Eating!

Small family style pizzeria.
    Ask for Claudia, and tell her Lenny from Atlanta sent you. You may even see me there!

Favorite Dish: The loaded Calzone Fantastic!!!

Instant Answers: Boston

Comments

Hotels Near La Famiglia Spagnuolo
0.2 miles away