Legal Sea Foods, Boston

4 out of 5 stars 34 Reviews

Various locations. See web site.

Delicious crab cake (Copley Place)
    Fresh gazpacho (Prudential)
    by shrimp56
    Ahi tuna appetizer (Prudential)
  • shrimp56's Profile Photo

Legal Seafood (Back Bay): Finally Legal:)

by shrimp56 Written Jun 24, 2013

Ahi tuna appetizer  (Prudential)

I visited Legal Seafood for the first time twice! The decor is retro and fairly plain at the two we visited in the Prudential Mall and Copley Place. Absolutely first rate seafood and entirely "legal."

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Fresh Seafood

by PinkFloydActuary Written Aug 13, 2011
    Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods is a local chain, and I was able to stop by the Braintree Mall stop to try this place out as I arrived in town late on a Saturday night. Being the sad party of one, there was no wait, and I quickly was seated at a lone table. Both the hostess and the waitress were friendly. Having not had good seafood in a while, I went with clam chowder and the seafood casserole (and a blueberry ale on the side) The chowder was spectacular - very hearty and creamy, loaded with potatoes and clams. That just set the stage for the casserole. Shrimp, Scallops, fish, and lobster chunks with melted cheese...out of this world. The only mistake I made was taking a huge bite immediately - I burned the heck out of my tongue as a result!

Prices run in the mid to high 20's for the entrees, which seems reasonable.

One modest complaint is that the waitress did disappear after delivering my food. I sat finished for a little while. But it was hardly a detraction. Legal Sea Foods boasts a number of "best of" awards, and if you try it, you will see why.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Legally the Best Sea Food Joint! (Part 2)

by machomikemd Written Oct 21, 2010

sea food galore

they serve the best sea food assortments among the three joints that i've tasted (the other is No Name Restaurant and Philipp's Oyster House) and this is part two of my Legal Sea Food Tips with more pictures.

Favorite Dish: the assorted sea food extravaganza, what else.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Legally the Best Sea Food Joint! (Part 1)

by machomikemd Written Oct 21, 2010

at long wharf

they serve the best sea food assortments among the three joints that i've tasted (the other is No Name Restaurant and Philipp's Oyster House).

Favorite Dish: the assrted steamers, oysters, the clam chowda (chowder) and the maine lobsters.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jun 17, 2008

Legal -- Long Wharf

Legal Sea Foods is one of the top seafood restaurants in a city known for its seafood. There are several locations throughout the city, and after a few expansions, they now extend into other parts of the country. Legal claims that all seafood is served within 48 hours of catch (even the Alaskan salmon!), and their excellent New England Clam Chowder (or just "chowda" if you want to sound like a local) has been served at the last 6 presidential inaugurations.

My favorite locations are downtown at Long Wharf and in the Burlington Mall. Both offer great meals like swordfish, salmon, lobsters, for between $20 and $30, all guaranteed to be consumed within 24 hours of their catch. The moderately upscale yet relaxing environment has a good beer and wine selection, and the downtown location has some nice outdoor seating with a view of the Aquarium and IMAX theater.

You often have a long one hour+ wait to get a table at Legal. Tip: at most of their restaurants you can sit at the counter or at the tall tables with no wait, they are first-come, first-serve.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Not as Good as Expected

by BigBlueOne Written Oct 30, 2007

While the ambience was pretty cool, I've had better seafood in the Midwestern US. Truly a disappointment with everything that you hear about Boston seafood. I guess that's what I get for going to a chain.

Favorite Dish: Crab cakes were okay.

• Business Travel

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods - Park Square: Great food, iffy service

by Jehcekah Written Jul 31, 2007

I am not sure if the problems we had with service here were due to an overwhelming crowd from the Boston marathon being held earlier in the day or if it is always like that there. I had made reservations online with opentable.com MONTHS before the scheduled date of our dining experience, however, we had to wait for about 15-20 minutes for our table. I expect to be seated immediately when I have reserved an exact time for my meal. Aside from the wait, everything else seemed to be going very well until all of our party except for my husband and I (so 6 others) were served their food together. It was another 20 minutes later and after much complaining that we finally received our meals. The waiter never apologized for the problems, but the manager was sent over to the table to make nice-nice with us. He did end up taking both of our meals off of the bill, which was very nice.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Lobster Ravioli. It was very delicious, but was not enough food. I should have ordered a bowl of clam chowder and if I had known how little food I was to receive, I would have.

• Patszac's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: It's in 1000 places to see before die!

by Patszac Written Jun 30, 2007

As you know, coming to Boston without having seafood....it means that you didn't come to Boston! Because the world famous sea restaurant is here! Seafood Legal has many locations around Boston but I prefer to go to Prudential because of the easy way to get there - just take a green line subway. The restaurant is pretty big itself! Please, avoid to go there especially on the game day! You will find that there're lots of hungry customers waiting on the line. But actually, you don't have to wait there because host will give you a peeping machine to notify you that it reaches your queue so you can shop and walk around the prudent center!

Favorite Dish: I love Sea Gumbo :) Because of its tender meat of big shimp and perfect gravy source!

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: THE BEST CHOWDER EVER

by moiraistyx Written Oct 30, 2006

Just as the title says, Legal Sea Foods is known nation wide for its absolutely delicious chowder, New England Clam Chowder that is. When I was living in Boston, I was able to eat at this establishment many times. Back then there was only one site, now there are numerous sites. Just about anything you eat here is going to be good, although I have to admit that it's not out of this world. The atmosphere isn't the greatest either. For me it's rather rushed. It is a kid friendly place and they even will give the little ones crayons and a small coloring booklet to help keep them occupied. Your service here really depends on the waiter or waitress you get, it's hit or miss. I have to admit that it's never been terrible, but there is definately some mediocrity there.

Favorite Dish: THE NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Yes we ate here

by cjg1 Updated Oct 10, 2006

Nathalie really wanted to eat here. So we did. Food wasnt bad either from what I remember. I usually only use this place as a meeting point and bar to go elsewhere. Butwas not disappointed that I finally tried it.

Favorite Dish: The chowder was not as good as everyone says it is. Luckily I was pleasantly surprised with the steak. That really was one of the better ones I had had in Boston up to the time. We were here on March 15, 2003.

• RekaD's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Great Clam Chower

by RekaD Updated Jul 7, 2006

Legal Sea Foods may be a chain, but there's a reason that it is so popular. They really do have the best clam chowder in all of Boston. Union Oyster House is a close second, but nothing tops Legal Sea Foods. You almost always have to wait for a table, but it's well worth it.

Legal Sea Foods has also opened up mini-branches inside Logan Airport! these are called "Legal Test Kitchen," so if you didn't get your fill of chowda in Boston, or if you're on a layover at Logan, be sure to treat yourself to a bowl in the airport!

Favorite Dish: New England Clam Chowder

• Business Travel

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: For more seafood...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 2, 2006

You will hear this name a lot as this is a popular chain of restaurants in Boston. However, I expected more from it as it was so widely recommended, but even though it was good I don't think the food here was extraordinary -- at least not for my taste. Yes, the restaurant is good looking and the service is OK, the food is fine too, but nothing to die for (and it's a bit pricey).

Favorite Dish: I was told the clam chowder they served here was the best in town... well, I have to differ!! It was ok, but just ok. That's all I had here so I can't tell about the other dishes in the menu, but the general saying is that the food is nice here. Up to you to try & decide!

• KennyB's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: The Best of Boston

by KennyB Written Sep 5, 2005

Legal Seafoods

The surrondings may be modern but the food is to everyone's liking. I believe that this is the best seafood restaurant in Boston. The prices are high but so is the quality of the food that they offer. You will not find a better seafood restaurant in the heart of Boston.

Favorite Dish: The clam chowder and the lobster are tops on my list. My daughter worked for this restaurant when she was going to school in Boston and she was hghly impressed with all the dishes that Legal Seafood prepares.

• Legal Sea Foods: Fantastic Lobster

by littlemissneve Written Jun 24, 2005

We ate in the Prudential Centre, place was quite busy on the weekend so you get a wee buzzer to hold for waiting.

Was the only place in boston I found which sold stawberry diaquaries (nowhere else does frozen).

Service was really good and always ready to help

Favorite Dish: Have to get the Lobster Bake where you get some clam choder first, then a big lobster platter with corn, steamers, muscles and clams with a choice of a side dish - great for your first experience of lobster, not too expensive as if you add everything up separate it works out a little dearer. You would have to be really hungry for it or share between two

• stiab3's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!

by stiab3 Written Apr 4, 2005
    lobster

The one I went to is the one near the New England Aquarium.

The food was good, and the service was even better. The waiting staff were all very friendly and helpful.

There are a lot of legal seafood restaurants in Massachussetts (10, I've heard) and they all have the same great food.

Favorite Dish: The new england clam chowder is unmatched anywhere else.

In general, I'd stick to what they are best known for - seafood!

Instant Answers: Boston