Legal Sea Foods, Boston

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 34 Reviews

Various locations. See web site.

Ahi tuna appetizer (Prudential)
    by shrimp56
    Delicious crab cake (Copley Place)
    Fresh gazpacho (Prudential)
  • machomikemd's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Legally the Best Sea Food Joint! (Part 1)

by machomikemd Written Oct 21, 2010

at long wharf

they serve the best sea food assortments among the three joints that i've tasted (the other is No Name Restaurant and Philipp's Oyster House).

Favorite Dish: the assrted steamers, oysters, the clam chowda (chowder) and the maine lobsters.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Legally the Best Sea Food Joint! (Part 2)

by machomikemd Written Oct 21, 2010

sea food galore

they serve the best sea food assortments among the three joints that i've tasted (the other is No Name Restaurant and Philipp's Oyster House) and this is part two of my Legal Sea Food Tips with more pictures.

Favorite Dish: the assorted sea food extravaganza, what else.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Legal Seafood: Legal Seafood

by TDay Written Aug 24, 2002

Good price for the amount of food receive. Quick and friendly service personnel. Daily specials. The seafood come directly from their own fish farms; therefore, it is FRESH.

Favorite Dish: Mixed seafood special. Excellent and not expense.
    Make a reservation if planning to eat later than 18:30 hours
    because sometimes the waiting can be more than 30 minutes. Large groups seem to get a table quicker than a couple.

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Fresh Seafood

by PinkFloydActuary Written Aug 13, 2011
    Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods is a local chain, and I was able to stop by the Braintree Mall stop to try this place out as I arrived in town late on a Saturday night. Being the sad party of one, there was no wait, and I quickly was seated at a lone table. Both the hostess and the waitress were friendly. Having not had good seafood in a while, I went with clam chowder and the seafood casserole (and a blueberry ale on the side) The chowder was spectacular - very hearty and creamy, loaded with potatoes and clams. That just set the stage for the casserole. Shrimp, Scallops, fish, and lobster chunks with melted cheese...out of this world. The only mistake I made was taking a huge bite immediately - I burned the heck out of my tongue as a result!

Prices run in the mid to high 20's for the entrees, which seems reasonable.

One modest complaint is that the waitress did disappear after delivering my food. I sat finished for a little while. But it was hardly a detraction. Legal Sea Foods boasts a number of "best of" awards, and if you try it, you will see why.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Not as Good as Expected

by BigBlueOne Written Oct 30, 2007

While the ambience was pretty cool, I've had better seafood in the Midwestern US. Truly a disappointment with everything that you hear about Boston seafood. I guess that's what I get for going to a chain.

Favorite Dish: Crab cakes were okay.

• Business Travel

• Patszac's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: It's in 1000 places to see before die!

by Patszac Written Jun 30, 2007

As you know, coming to Boston without having seafood....it means that you didn't come to Boston! Because the world famous sea restaurant is here! Seafood Legal has many locations around Boston but I prefer to go to Prudential because of the easy way to get there - just take a green line subway. The restaurant is pretty big itself! Please, avoid to go there especially on the game day! You will find that there're lots of hungry customers waiting on the line. But actually, you don't have to wait there because host will give you a peeping machine to notify you that it reaches your queue so you can shop and walk around the prudent center!

Favorite Dish: I love Sea Gumbo :) Because of its tender meat of big shimp and perfect gravy source!

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods - Park Square: Great food, iffy service

by Jehcekah Written Jul 31, 2007

I am not sure if the problems we had with service here were due to an overwhelming crowd from the Boston marathon being held earlier in the day or if it is always like that there. I had made reservations online with opentable.com MONTHS before the scheduled date of our dining experience, however, we had to wait for about 15-20 minutes for our table. I expect to be seated immediately when I have reserved an exact time for my meal. Aside from the wait, everything else seemed to be going very well until all of our party except for my husband and I (so 6 others) were served their food together. It was another 20 minutes later and after much complaining that we finally received our meals. The waiter never apologized for the problems, but the manager was sent over to the table to make nice-nice with us. He did end up taking both of our meals off of the bill, which was very nice.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Lobster Ravioli. It was very delicious, but was not enough food. I should have ordered a bowl of clam chowder and if I had known how little food I was to receive, I would have.

• Legal Sea Foods: Fantastic Lobster

by littlemissneve Written Jun 24, 2005

We ate in the Prudential Centre, place was quite busy on the weekend so you get a wee buzzer to hold for waiting.

Was the only place in boston I found which sold stawberry diaquaries (nowhere else does frozen).

Service was really good and always ready to help

Favorite Dish: Have to get the Lobster Bake where you get some clam choder first, then a big lobster platter with corn, steamers, muscles and clams with a choice of a side dish - great for your first experience of lobster, not too expensive as if you add everything up separate it works out a little dearer. You would have to be really hungry for it or share between two

• RekaD's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Great Clam Chower

by RekaD Updated Jul 7, 2006

Legal Sea Foods may be a chain, but there's a reason that it is so popular. They really do have the best clam chowder in all of Boston. Union Oyster House is a close second, but nothing tops Legal Sea Foods. You almost always have to wait for a table, but it's well worth it.

Legal Sea Foods has also opened up mini-branches inside Logan Airport! these are called "Legal Test Kitchen," so if you didn't get your fill of chowda in Boston, or if you're on a layover at Logan, be sure to treat yourself to a bowl in the airport!

Favorite Dish: New England Clam Chowder

• Business Travel

• Thunderdarts's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Easy to enjoy Legal Seafoods

by Thunderdarts Written Mar 23, 2005

I only ate here twice - and I gambled twice.

First time round I tried 'Spicy Shandong Bluefish' - absolutely gorgeous!

Second time round I tried the Catfish - again: amazing!

I had never tried these dishes before and they were gentle on the palate and a real treat - there is also a general platter and an old fashioned 'Cod & Fries' option in case your dad is with you!

Great food - great prices - enjoy!

• stiab3's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!

by stiab3 Written Apr 4, 2005
    lobster

The one I went to is the one near the New England Aquarium.

The food was good, and the service was even better. The waiting staff were all very friendly and helpful.

There are a lot of legal seafood restaurants in Massachussetts (10, I've heard) and they all have the same great food.

Favorite Dish: The new england clam chowder is unmatched anywhere else.

In general, I'd stick to what they are best known for - seafood!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: For more seafood...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jan 2, 2006

You will hear this name a lot as this is a popular chain of restaurants in Boston. However, I expected more from it as it was so widely recommended, but even though it was good I don't think the food here was extraordinary -- at least not for my taste. Yes, the restaurant is good looking and the service is OK, the food is fine too, but nothing to die for (and it's a bit pricey).

Favorite Dish: I was told the clam chowder they served here was the best in town... well, I have to differ!! It was ok, but just ok. That's all I had here so I can't tell about the other dishes in the menu, but the general saying is that the food is nice here. Up to you to try & decide!

• rosalina's Profile Photo

Legal Seafood: Barely Legal

by rosalina Updated Nov 12, 2003
    The best part

Skip Legal Seafood. Extreme amount of money for the inverse quality of the experience. I would say skip it and check out some of the more interesting places with character.

Once upon a time, Legal Seafood was a great underdog in the industry. Cutting out the middle man and handling things themselves, Legal WAS a "cut above the rest". But success was too good to Legal.

But do remember, if you don't go, you'll never get a chance to experience Legal Seafood again (unless you're in Virginia, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Mass, Maryland, Florida, or the District of Columbia)

Favorite Dish: Water, because I wasn't paying for it.

• miwa128's Profile Photo

Our favorite restaurant in...

by miwa128 Written Aug 26, 2002

Our favorite restaurant in Boston is Legal Seafoods, located at the Prudential Center.
    As their motto says, 'if it isn't fresh, it isn't Legal', the fish is fresh and tasty.

Favorite Dish: Clam Chowder, by far the best ever.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Legal Sea Foods: Fresh Seafood

by shohman Written Jun 20, 2005

Leagl Seafood

Legal Seafood started out small and is now a chain in several Boston locations. Very fresh seafood at market price. You will not be let down.

Favorite Dish: I love the fried clams.

Instant Answers: Boston