Places to eat in Boston

Most Viewed Restaurants in Boston

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Green Dragon: Good Pub Grub

by cjg1 Updated Mar 5, 2014

The Green Dragon is a favorite Pub of ours when visiting Boston. My wife and I enjoy the laid back yet fun atmosphere of the place. The bar is a decent size with plenty of bar seating as well as tables throughout. They also serve food here which is actually very good especially the wings and nachos.

Our most recent visit to the Green Dragon was the first weekend of March 2014. It was a bitterly cold day and we decided to pop in for some lunch. The place was crowded but we were still able to get a nice table. The area was having a Mardi Gras Pub Crawl and we were happy that the pub crawl hadn't yet invaded this place; so we could enjoy ourselves without the frat house vibe.

Our waitress was very friendly and brought us drinks rather quickly. The menu had a nice specials list and both Liz and I chose on of those dishes. I decided that the Beef Stew would be a perfect choice for such a cold day. My wife chose the mussels in a white wine sauce; she loves mussels. As we waited for our food we did some people watching and discussed our upcoming move.

Our food arrived about fifteen minutes later; piping hot. I had to wait several minutes for it to cool down enough for me to taste it. My wife dug into her very large portion of mussels. She loved the flavor and freshness of the mussels. The dish came with some garlic bread for dipping in the fragrant broth. When my stew cooled a bit I was finally able to take a bite. It was good; not great. I like a more thick stew and this was a bit soup like. The flavor was good though; as was the meat quality. Either way I had a full and warm belly from our lunch. The prices for the specials were very good for such big portions; my stew was $14 and Liz's mussels were $12.

The Mussels Special Beef Stew Enjoying some warm food on a cold day

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

The Catered Affair @ Boston Public Library: Lovely location for lunch!

by CEP1863 Updated Feb 27, 2014

The Catered Affair is an amazing location for lunch. I stumbled on this place by pure chance having visited the library whilst exploring the area. The restaurant is located on the ground floor overlooking the beautiful courtyard and on a beautiful day, it is the perfect place to sit back, relax and enjoy the good food.

The restaurant opens for lunch from 11:30am - 2:30pm Monday - Friday. Tea is served Wednesday - Friday from 2:00pm - 4:00pm. I was delighted with the array of choice. As a vegetarian, I found that there was plenty for me to choose from. I opted for one of the homemade gourmet sandwiches - balsamic grilled portobello mushroom and the daily special homemade soup. Both were first class and it was really nice to be able to sit outside in the beautiful courtyard and enjoy the sunshine.

It is definitely somewhere that I would recommend.

Favorite Dish: They have an amazing range of freshly made homemade gourmet sandwiches.

• Women's Travel

Quincy Market: Downtown: Lunchtime Bonanza

by antistar Updated Jan 30, 2014

Once a building designed to deal with the overflow from the market below Fenuil Hall, today's Quincy Market deals with food of a different kind. Hungry Bostonians, especially the office workers in the nearby Financial District, head down to Quincy Market to pick up a quick bite. Walk in, stroll down the aisles past every kind of food imaginable, pick something you like, and then plonk yourself down in the grand central seating area and scoff the lot.

It's busy and some of the food stalls have long queues, but it's hard to go wrong.

Strolling past the food stalls, Quincy Market Quincy Market, Boston Eating under the dome, Quincy Market, Boston Eating under the dome, Quincy Market, Boston

• yaya15923's Profile Photo

Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar: Tequila, fresh guac and cotton candy

by yaya15923 Updated Jan 23, 2014

So a friend of mine introduced me to this place a couple of years ago and it's still a favorite of mine. I immediately fell in love with the decor. Sexy red walls, black leather and wrought iron, dramatic lighting but not so dark to the point where you are unable to read the menu or see your dining companion. If you are considering designing a dominatrix lair, you could definitely grab some great ideas here ;)

Favorite Dish: I have been here several times but this review is from my first time here...

Our waiter first appeared with a dish of shaved ice and poured a shot of tequila over it. Try it, it's amazing. Oh and their tequila menu is quite extensive and covers all price ranges. Sure they have some unusual dishes but they also offer the basics and when I am trying a new place, I always go for simple. So we started with a basic guacamole which you could tell was made seconds before arriving to our table, I enjoyed a red sangria and for my main dish I had the Carnitas which was super tender and full of flavor. Even though we skipped dessert, a massive mountain of cotton candy was placed on our table...yes, I thought it was a quirky way to end the meal and I am not really a fan of the stuff but that's just me...all the other tables seemed to be enjoying it. Some may think that this place tries too hard with their menu but I would have to disagree, I enjoy places that have fun and like to experiment.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Sam's at Louis: Absolutely loved it!!!

by garridogal Written Dec 8, 2013

Went here for a birthday/pre-museum visit brunch. I can sum up my feelings simply by saying that I loved it. The food, the room, and the service are all outstanding.

First of all, I must say that it was not an easy place to find. And searching on the waterfront on a grey, cold, and damp morning was not the best. Plus, they need not just better signage but just signage! I guess there's a valet parking sign that wasn't there when we arrived and didn't realize that the restaurant is inside a very industrial looking warehouse structure where you can only tell that Louis is. Luckily, we were able to ask someone who pointed us in the right direction.

Favorite Dish: It's a good thing we did find the place. The restaurant is in a window-covered room which faces the water and gets tons of natural light. The staff is friendly and the service is prompt. There was no waiting for anything.

The best part, however, is the food. It was hard to select an item from the brunch menu because everything looked absolutely wonderful. I finally settled on an English Muffin with crab meat, fried eggs, and an amazing sauce. It was absolutely wonderful. My friends both had the hash and raved about it as well. Then, we split the coconut crepes. They were so good that I didn't mind the strawberry compote they're served it. (I don't like strawberries...)

Anyway, would love to return during warm weather and sit on their deck as the sun sets....

South Street Diner: Good breakfasts

by CEP1863 Updated Oct 26, 2013

This was one of the first places that I ate at in Boston when I was having difficulty adjusting to the time difference. I had noticed a menu in my hotel room but decided that rather than getting the food to come to me, I would go to the food!

The diner is open 24 hours a day and when I went (at about 04:00am, it was not too busy. Seating is limited and I could imagine that at other times, you could well have to wait to be seated. I ordered an omelette and coffee , both arrived promptly and there were free refills with the coffee. The omelette was cooked as I like omelettes to be cooked and generally I was satisfied by my experience.

Overall, the convenience of the place is good and if I needed to eat at a ridiculous time again, I would return.

South Street Diner

Montein Boston (Thai & Sushi): Mediocre at best

by CEP1863 Written Oct 24, 2013

We had passed this restaurant earlier in the day and decided to return that evening. We were made to feel very welcome and seated quickly but from then on the experience went downhill. Upon entering your eyes are immediately drawn to awards won previously but my experience led me to conclude that they are living on past laurels.

The order was taken and we ordered Crispy Crab Wonton, Golden Bags and Vegetable Tempura along with drinks. Two of the starters quickly arrived but unfortunately not mine - the vegetable tempura. The drinks also failed to materialise and we had to ask for these twice along with my starter. Eventually the drinks arrived and finally my starter materialised, it was well worth the wait but it meant that I was eating on my own and not with my friends. Although I enjoyed my starter, my friend who had ordered the Crispy Crab Wonton was left disappointed with hers.

I had not finished my starter when the main courses arrived. We had all ordered variations of Pad Thai - Seafood, Crispy Chicken and Vegetable. Haven eaten Pad Thai on numerous occasions I was really looking forward to this but sadly we were all disappointed with the blandness of all three dishes, they certainly did not inspire the taste buds.

We decided not to bother with desserts and left vowing not to return.

Favorite Dish: The vegetable tempura was good.

Monte in Thai Restaurant

Aria Trattoria: Italian food with passion

by CEP1863 Updated Oct 22, 2013

Having walked through the Italian district when following the Freedom Trail we decided to venture back to one of the restaurants in the evening. There is an abundance of restaurants in the area which meant that, as diners, we were spoilt for choice.

We chose Aria Trattoria for two main reasons. Firstly the menu meant that there was something for everyone and secondly the very warm welcome that we received. Staff were very helpful and knowledgable able to talk us through the different dishes as well as offering me, as a vegetarian, variations on some of the dishes listed.

I chose a caprese salad to start with that had fresh mozzarella cheese from Italy. For my main course I opted for the handmade oyster mushroom ravioli with truffled mascarpone. Both courses were delicious with the ravioli cooked to perfection. Others with me opted for a beet salad and a rucola salad to start with and the signature pork dish - Abbruzzese style roasted pork.

Favorite Dish: Ravioli con Fungi

Aria Trattoria
    • Business Travel

MJ O'Connors: Good Irish Bar

by CEP1863 Written Oct 21, 2013

There is an abundance of Irish Bars in Boston and it was not really our intention to eat in any of them when we set out however for one reason and another we eventually ended up in MJ O'Connors.

We were made extremely welcome and seated quite quickly even though the place was very busy. The menu was quite extensive and for me there was even a vegetarian choice. I chose a vegetarian burger with their own fries. One of our party had a cabana and one had one of the house burgers. There were plenty of beers to choose from including one brew made specially for Halloween. As we had never tried this brew, a small taste was given to us free of charge in order that an informed decision could be made. The freshly cooked food arrived and was perfection. We had a fantastic meal and the atmosphere in the pub was brilliant and made even better by a Red Sox win. Definitely a place to go if you want a warm welcome, great atmosphere and good pub grub.

Favorite Dish: Vegetarian burger with house fries.
    Dublin burger with sweet potato fries

MJ O'Connors
    • Theater Travel
    • Singles

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Ned Devine's: Good food and great atmosphere!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 17, 2013

We were quite disappointed with the choices or lack thereof of places to eat (with decent food) around Faneiul Hall Quincy Market and were quite surprised when we found Ned Devine's. It is located at the end of Quincy Market's food hall with it's own separate entrance from the outside. We decided to check out the menu and see what they had to offer, to our surprise a large varied selection of dishes to suit just about anyone.

The restaurant bar is quite nice with art nouvo decorations and an amazing chandlier sculpture that hangs from the ceiling above the staircase that takes you to the upstairs dining. There are some really cute long booths, round tables and a few tables with couches to enjoy a good meal.

We decided to sit upstairs away from the craziness of the market which was more intimate. We were seated at a cute table for two around the banister of the top landing. Our waitress was really nice and suggested a few drinks before we decided to order our meal.

We wanted to enjoy a few drinks before placing or orders, and the waitress didn't seem to mind at all. I decided on the Parris Blue and Ferni had a Bacardi and coke. Once we were ready to eat, we placed our order.

The service here was great, friendly and the prices reasonable. I really like that their menu was quite varied with choices ranging from soups, salads and paninis, appetizers like nachos, crab & artichok dip, kobe beef sliders, potato skins, burgers and amazing entrees.

Ferni decided on the Harp beer battered tenders with bistro fries (shoe string fries) and I decided on an entree, the Roasted Haddock. The food here was amazing.

We really enjoy this place so much that since our first visit we have been back every single time we visit Boston. The food is always good and Ferni does really like their Harp battered chicken tenders.

*** Our last visit 6/16/13***

We continue to enjoy eating here as the atmosphere and food have always been good. Ferni enjoys his harp beer battered chicken tenders along with the fries, they're his favorite (well, not for long). As for me, I had a salad since I've become a Vegan.

Favorite Dish: The Harp Beer battered tenders are always an item that Ferni orders along with bistro fries. The tenders are juicy and succulent (according to him). I've had a variety of dishes since our first visit like the Roasted Haddock with mash and market veggies, the burger, crab meat sandwich, soup and most recently the salad.

Roasted Haddock with mash and market veggies Harp beer battered chicken tenders The dinning area Me with my Parris Blue!

Vapiano: Theater District: Italian

by antistar Written May 26, 2013

Trying to find somewhere to eat on a Friday night in Boston is pretty difficult as all the best places are packed and require reservations, especially if you find yourself in the Theater District. We decided to play it safe and go with Vapiano, a chain we know from Europe. The food and service was about the same, but the experience was a bit different. I think that's down to the fact that the customers seemed to treat the place like an upmarket McDonald's, whereas in Frankfurt it's popular with well attired staff working the global banking headquarters.

But the food was good, and actually I think the service was a little better than in Europe.

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

South Street Diner: Classic diner

by tayloretc Written May 19, 2013

The South Street diner is a throwback to the 1940’s when it was built to feed the workers at the factories that used to fill this part of Boston. The factories are gone, but the diner remains, serving traditional diner food and a few extras. It’s supposedly the only place in Boston that’s open 24/7, making it the place to go after the clubs and bars close.

I went for breakfast one morning, the special with pancakes, eggs, hash browns, and sausage. It’s a bit on the pricey side, but it’s a lot of food (I asked for less than officially on the list, and still couldn’t finish it), and it was delicious.

There’s a nice atmosphere, too, happily busy. The crowd that Friday morning appeared to be regulars – a mix of blue collar, business people, and people in medical scrubs. The waitress called everyone ‘honey.’ It’s not a big place. The cooking area is just a few feet from the counter, and when a group of 12 came in, it took some shuffling to get them seated. You can get to know your neighbors.

Rustic Kitchen: Theater District: American

by antistar Written May 15, 2013

Rustic Kitchen is styled like a classic Boston bar. If you've seen Cheers, you'll know what to expect. It provides a cozy restaurant atmosphere, with a decent menu with plenty of hearty American dishes on offer, from burgers to bakes. Nothing fancy, but tasty, filling and decent value for money. The service is good, and it's a pleasant place to stay and drink a glass of Boston Lager while the food settles.

Rustic Kitchen, Boston

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Solas: A handy Irish pub with good grub

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 15, 2013

This was well-located on the Boylston St. side of my hotel. It was an attractive space with dark wood and dappled yellow walls.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the cross cultural riff of a pulled BBQ pork quesadilla with mango salsa and sour cream. It was very tasty. The second visit I had the pictured onion soup made with Guinness Irish stout. Yummy.

My onion soup with Irish stout

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Tapeo: Tapas on Newbury

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2013

We were walking on Newbury Street and we decided to stop at this Spainish Tapas place. I was feeling a bit Spanish and wanted to have some Sangria, so we went inside for an inexpensive dinner.

Tapeo serves some really yummy tapas. With a large selection of both hot and cold tapas, there is something for everyone. The average price is about $6 per tapas.

Favorite Dish: We ordered the patatas bravas, chorizo a la plancha, croquetas de pollo and a pitcher of Sangria.

Boston Hotels

Hotel 140
The Back Bay Hotel Boston
Boston Harbor Hotel

Instant Answers: Boston

Comments

Boston Restaurants

travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Boston has an impressive variety of places to eat, from 5-star gourmet affairs to the food stands of Faneuil Hall to beach-side clam shacks.  Seafood is the marquis draw as you might...

Map of Boston