Places to eat in Boston

by Jefie

Most Viewed Restaurants in Boston

Davio's Boston: Northen Italian

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2013

We wanted to have a wonderful meal at a restaurant my friend had never visited. I did some research and had a list of a few fine dining places for us to choose from. We decided on Davio's. Davio's was more than just fine dining, it was an experience. The restaurant is packed every day of the week and a reservation for a Saturday is usually 4 weeks out. We didn't have reservations since we weren't sure what time we would be back in the city, so we decided to just go and hope we'd get lucky with a table.

We arrived at Davio's sometime around 8:30 pm and asked if there was a table. The restaurant was full and even the bar seemed crowded with diners. The hostess suggested we sit at the "Chef's" table which is a full service table. We were seated at the table with the kitchen in plain view. The wait staff was excellent and the kitchen served to be a great source of entertainment.

At one point, a women approached the kitchen and started ordering the wait staff around, I laughed and called her "Leona" (Helmsly), as she was like a drill sargent. We laughed and thought that she was a hostess in charge of a large party, we still aren't sure, but we can bet that she is the owner of this establishment.

The dining area is huge. We estimated about 100 tables in an open area, high ceilings and dark wood throughout the restaurant. The bar was crowded and many people were enjoying a full meal there.

We had a wonderful experience and enjoyed every bit of our meal. But if you are in a rush, this is not your place. They are so busy that it does take time for you meal to come out.

Favorite Dish: A small try of assorted olives, hummus and garlic butter are brought out with a basket of warm bread. We started our meal ordering the arugula salad which we shared and "Davio's Philly Cheese Steak Rolls with spicey Ketchup". For my main course I had the "Pan Seared Sea Scallops, Sweet Creamy Corn, Potato Millefoglie". It was delicious. My friend had the "Raised Right Free-Range Chicken, Sautéed Spinach, Whipped Yukon Potatoes,
    Sugo Naturale". We topped our selection with a Reisling.

The meal was excellent and I would hightly recommend this restaurant. I did notice that the majority of the dinners ordered either their Veal Tenderloin or their rack of Veal, or the Steak.

Boloco: Great quick meal

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2013

This is one of the best places I have had a quick, tasty, inexpensive meal. Better than any fast food joint. We were getting a bit peckish after walking around our second day in Boston and we came across this place. Originally called the "Wrap" this place specializes in what else, wraps which they call "Burritos".

The place wasn't crowded and has a few tables with an open kitchen. Your food comes out fresh and quick and oh so yummy.

I was told by the "cook" that during the week day lunch hours the crowds are out the door. There is a reason, their wraps are the best I have had.

Favorite Dish: I tried the ""Bangkook Burrito" a Thai-style wrap with peanut sauce, Asian slow, cucumbers, rice on a tortilla wrap and washed it down with a "Mango Passion" smoothie. Veronica had a non inspired Cesear Wrap and I think the "Cape Codder".

Their Prices are just right, the wraps were $5 for the regular, $6 for the large, the smoothies were $3 for the small and $4 for the large.

Paris Creperie: Best Crepes this side of France

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2013

If you're craving a bit of Paris why not stop by this great creperie located here in Beacon Hill?!!

Serving authentic French crepes, Paris Creperie is a great place to stop in for a quick taste of Paris. I love their sweet crepes with the Nutella being my favorite. They carry a large range of crepes with warm or cold drinks to go with it.

If you prefer, stop by in the morining and have a crepe for breakfast.

Favorite Dish: I had a my crepe filled with Nutella and a Nutella drink (served hot or cold).

Tapeo: Tapas on Newbury

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2013

We were walking on Newbury Street and we decided to stop at this Spainish Tapas place. I was feeling a bit Spanish and wanted to have some Sangria, so we went inside for an inexpensive dinner.

Tapeo serves some really yummy tapas. With a large selection of both hot and cold tapas, there is something for everyone. The average price is about $6 per tapas.

Favorite Dish: We ordered the patatas bravas, chorizo a la plancha, croquetas de pollo and a pitcher of Sangria.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Tapeo: Tapas and Drinks

by cjg1 Updated Oct 10, 2006

I came to this restaurant on warn and sunny fall day. (November 7, 2004) Was up in town visiting a friend. So this is where we came when Dali was not yet open. I must say all the food I tried was excellent. It was a couple years back now in November of 2004 so I dont remember specifics but trust me, its worth the trip. We spent an hour or two just sitting here and sharing a drink and a couple snacks.

I have since come back and it is just how I remember it. Wonderful place to take a break in your Newbury day. It is just next to the dog shop.

Favorite Dish: I do not remember many other than the churizo and shrimp dishes. They were my favorites.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Scoozi

by Krumlovgirl Written Jun 1, 2005

I have to admit, Scoozi won by default. We were on the wait list for a restaurant on Boylston when a really bad thunderstorm hit. Having to duck into the nearest shelter, we found Scoozi and the staff were so friendly that we decided to try them out. As you can see, I had no idea that my pizza was going to be so huge! It’s dining room is small. I doubt they could get more than 20 people comfortable inside, and it has a “see and be seen” ambiance about it, but I don’t mind that from time to time. I like to dress up and go out occasionally. The menu was fairly comprehensive. It reminded me of a number of European cafes and had that same cosmopolitan vibe about it. I’m not sure that I would make a point to go back there for another meal, but if I were on Newbury Street and feeling a pizza calling my name then I would definitely return. I would especially like to sit outside on the patio the second time around so that I could people watch.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the pizza margherita because I have theory that no matter where you are, you can never go wrong with it. It’s really hard to screw it up. As you can see, it was huge. I took most of it home with me. My dining partner had shrimp scampi over fettuccini. The shrimp were huge and cooked to perfection. For dessert I had a chocolate soufflé and she had a piece of cheesecake that they bedecked with fresh strawberries at her request. The pizza was amazing and the soufflé wonderful. Overall, it was a good meal and rivaled some of the Italian fare that I have had in the North End.

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

The Living Room: hang out by the harbor

by vivalasteph Written May 8, 2004

Across the street from Christopher Columbus Park, this little known restaurant and bar has a vast menu, reasonably priced, and many specialty martinis and cocktails.

Indoors, there are sofas and overstuffed chairs, many seating areas, and a large fishtank near the bar. There is a separate dining area in the back.

Outdoors, there is a patio, with wrought iron tables and chairs, and umbrellas. You can see the harbor across the street, and with a large section of the Central Artery now removed, you have a great view of the downtown buildings, including the Custom House.

It's a great location to have a meal, then stroll around the waterfront and the North End afterward.

Favorite Dish: All the appetizers I've had were great, and good pasta dishes and build-your-own burgers.

Dolce Vita Ristorante: Dolce Vita Ristorante

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2013

We decided to go over to North End for an authentic Italian meal. We didn't have any particular restaurant in mind so we walked until we found a place that suited us. It was so hot and Ferni and I really wanted a restaurant with indoor air conditioned dinning. Joann had eaten at this restaurant years before and said the food was realy good. So in we went.

The restaurant is an upscale Italian restaurant with a large cavernous dinning area. The walls are decorated with pop art which was quite refreshing. We entered the restaurant and were asked to sit wherever we wanted, we promptly found a nice table.

The waiter was nice, although it seemed like he was new from the way he was overly attentive. We were given our menus which has an extensive selection of meals.

Favorite Dish: We started our meal with a bottle of Pelegrino for the table. Joann and I both had a wonderful glass of chardonnay and Ferni had Heinenken with his meal.

I ordered the scallops scampi, always my favorite. Joann had the Arugula Salomn salad and Ferni had the chicken parmesan with pasta.

We were all very happy with our meals, but be aware that they serve very little pasta with the meal.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Food Vendors

by Krumlovgirl Written Jun 2, 2005

You know, sometimes after a long day of walking around you're just not inthe mood to deal with lines in restaurants, wait times, and over-priced food. It's during times like these when nothing looks better than a hotdog vendor in the Common. or in Fanueil Hall. Or just about anywhere else. Sure, they're over-priced too, but at least you know for sure what you're getting. (Most of the time anyway.) My favorites are the Italian sausage stands and the frozen lemonades. God bless them.

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Maseos Cafe: Macrobiotic Cafe - Healthy Food, Good prices

by amapola66 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great Little Macrobiotic & Vegan Cafe.

Maseos Cafe on Moody St used to be a regular for us when we were a little off colour, tired or just wanted some great healthy food.

It is cheap, cheerful and good for you -
    We always felt better for eating there.

The cafe also does take-aways.
    (Closed Sundays)

Favorite Dish: Great Noodles.
    Menu varies daily.

Some things can look a little strange if you are not used to this kind of food, but I can assure you, they all taste great.

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo

Maggiano's: A taste of Italy...The waiters aren't bad either!!

by Barbie2138 Updated Aug 28, 2005

Maggiano's is like eating a cozy meal at your aunt's house, very comfy: soft lighting, linen table cloths, very attentive waiters. Even though they were busy (lots of families), we didn't wait at all for a table. The waiter was knowledgeable and despite his opinion that his mom makes better lasagne, I ordered it and was NOT disappointed. I also had my first and later to be the best mojito in Boston here!!!!! They add a nice chunky stick of sugar cane and serve it in a BIG water glass!!!! They have great family specials. Maggiano's does it up right!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Dish: The lasagne is to die for and the gladiator like portions are HUGE...But you can just take the leftovers back to your hotel like I did and have midnight snacks for days!!!!!

• Theater Travel
    • Singles
    • Beaches

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Sunlite Cafe: New England breakfast with a Brazilian twist

by jessicadf Written Nov 17, 2003

We were early in to Stow, and very hungry, so we drove through town, looking for somewhere to eat, other than a Dunkin' Donuts. Side note: WOW, I've never seen so many Dunkin' Donut shops as I saw in 26 hours in Boston!! Anyway - we found this little cafe and went on in. It was tiny and filled with locals of Stow. It was wonderful to sit there, sipping coffee and wolfing down a hearty breakfast on an early, cold Sunday morning, listening to the old timers talking about granddad who worked in the slaughter houses, or one elderly man greeting a young man that entered, "Hey, it's Peter the Painter! How are ya today?" The staff knew everyone, but us of course, by name.

Exactly the kind of place I strive to find...

Favorite Dish: It's the only thing I had, so I guess it's my favorite: Lenny's Benedict. Portuguese english style muffins with scrambled eggs, bacon and hollendaise sauce, with home fries. Now, this was a little odd tasting, but hey... ya only live once. And, besides, we were in Stow to see a man named LENNY about a Speedster. REALLY WEIRD tasting home-fries, by the way. I think I'd opt for the extra $1 surcharge and get the hashbrowns instead (which is weird that they'd charge extra for those - ah well).

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Pho Republic: Great atmosphere and food

by garridogal Updated Feb 8, 2006

I love Pho Republic! It's funky, got fun cocktails and the food's awesome! Truly, everything I've tried there is delicous. I guess the best way to describe the cuisine is Asian Fusian. The bar's fun too! Went there for my birthday!

Favorite Dish: Hands down, the ribs! And I just loved the Coconut Martini. Yum....!

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• kazander's Profile Photo

Jae's: Sushi and more...

by kazander Updated Nov 13, 2004

Jae's has an ecclectic mix of cuisines from sushi to pad thai to curries to korean, there is something for everyone. Nice cozy atmosphere with a giant fish tank. There is also streetside seating for dining al fresco.

Favorite Dish: Everyone enjoyed their meals immensely. I had the wonderful chicken curry. Which I followed with a chocolate lava. Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce and a side of vanilla ice cream, amazing! The also make a mean Mojito

• glo39's Profile Photo

Teatro: Sooo good!

by glo39 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is located at 177 Tremont Street across the street from Boston Common.
    All our dishes were excellent from the antipasti to the tiramisu which was the best I have ever tasted.
    Everyone was personable the person taking the reservation, the person who called to confirm our reservation and the waitstaff. What more could you ask for? Try it!

Favorite Dish: scallops; flounder

Four Seasons Boston
Carruth House
Latest: Oct 23, 2013

Instant Answers: Boston

Comments

Boston Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Boston locals.
Map of Boston