Redbones, Boston

by Barbie2138
  • risse73's Profile Photo

Redbones: Plateful of Barbecue

by risse73 Written Mar 12, 2008

This is the place to be if you are craving for barbecue! Redbones is a beloved barbecue haven in Boston and has been in existence for years. It serves your typical barbecue & trimmings as well as other Southern comfort foods.

Favorite Dish: The heaping portion of meat served with your choice of sauces and side orders!

Try the combo of ribs & chicken with dirty rice, beans and slaw...YUM!!!

• Redbones: Go elsewhere

by hula_grrrl Updated Aug 9, 2006

The restaurant is bright and loud, and the food is NOT ALL THAT. AT ALL. The Jamaican Jerk sauce was so hot none of us could eat it (and we are some chili-lovin people), and our waitress was angry and rude for no reason. Succotash was blecchy. The mac & cheese was ok, but totally unremarkable. And they didn't even have honey for the cornbread. There are other really good restaurants in Davis Square - try Martsa on Elm St for Tibetan, Namaskar on Elm St for Indian, or Sabur on Holland St (about 6 blocks away) for great Mediterranean food & ambience.

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo

Redbones: No Bones About It....This Place Should Be Avoided!

by Barbie2138 Written Jul 13, 2005

Get Us Outta Here!!!

Let me just say...I pity anyone in Boston who thinks Redbones serves good barbecue!!!! You don't know what barbecue is. First off, a group of us had to wait outside on the dingy sidewalks to get into this place which for some unexplainable reason is popular with the locals. Once inside, we were ushered downstairs. The 'dining room' was loud and dirty. There was food all over the floor. Seating is so close, it's hard to pull a chair out from a table. The wall decor looked like rejects from a Salvador Dali dream he may have had while on mescaline. Our waitress was prompt. I ordered the Rib 'n Cue, $15.95 for burned pork bones, dry corn bread and raw okra. I do not exaggerate. The meal was inedible. The sauce for the meat was the worse I'd ever tasted....some sort of vinegary concoction. Someone please get these folks some real cooks!!!!! I will gladly share my homemade recipe for barbecue sauce with you. When I mentioned the poor quality of the meal to my waitress, she had the charges removed from our tab.

Favorite Dish: Are you kidding!!!!!!!!! Even the water is suspect.

• emilybcn's Profile Photo

Redbones: Authentic Barbeque

by emilybcn Updated Jul 8, 2005

Redbones was totally packed the day we went which bodes well for the likability of this place by locals. We had about a 20 minute wait before we were seated but conveniently there is a redbones bar adjacent so many people were enjoying a beer before they got a table. Once inside the atmosphere is casual and fun with one whole wall devoted to famous musicians who had eaten there. A free piece of corn bread is given instead of regular bread and the menu includes everything bbq, like several styles of ribs, steak, pulled pork and chicken and sandwiches as well as several unique appetizers like hush puppies.

Favorite Dish: I had the Arkansas Ribs because they seemed reasonably priced at 9.99 the portion they gave was pretty big and it came with beans and coleslaw. I left completely stuffed!

• shohman's Profile Photo

Redbones: All you can eat Barbeque

by shohman Written Jun 20, 2005

Redbones

located in Davis Square in Somerville, Redbones gives gut busting portions of ribs, chicken, rice and slaw. All for 9.99 at lunch.
    If one plate isn't enough, please consider having gastric bypass surgery.

Favorite Dish: Ribs

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Redbones: pulled pork & best beer selection in town....

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 4, 2003

massive combo platter

One of Massachussetts funkier bars doubles as perhaps the best outlet of bbq this side of the Mason Dixon line. Add to that the most adventurous beer line up in town and you have one must see restaurant.

Favorite Dish: We made the mistake of order TWO combo platters of pulled pork and ribs. One would have easily been enough for both of us. We thought $12.95 was expensive till we saw it. The Memphis style ribs were out of this world.

• Beer Tasting