Sonsie, Boston

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 8 Reviews

327 Newbury St., Boston, MA 02115-2710 617-351-2500

• Cubano pork roast sandwich with plaintain
    Cubano pork roast sandwich with...
    by Tijavi
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Sonsie: Sunday Brunch

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2013

View from across the street

Veronica wanted to have brunch here on Sunday, so after spending about an hour walking Newbury we popped in to enjoy brunch, a beautiful day, and people watch.

Sonsie is known for their great location, great open air dinning and now their Wine Bar. I don't recall anything special. We enjoyed the beautiful day and out door dinning allowed us to do some people watching.

Favorite Dish: My friend had the Chicken and Pastrami Hash with Poached Eggs along with a Bloody Mary and I had the Classic Eggs Benedict and a Mimosa.

The food wasn't anything exceptional, the service was great and the outdoor eating was nice on such a beautiful day.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• diver-x's Profile Photo

Sonsie: See & Be Seen

by diver-x Updated Nov 11, 2006

Good coffiee, big bill at Sonsie's

We stopped at Sonie's for a late lunch while strolling on Newbury Street. I'd been there before for drinks, but never for food, so I was curious. We found the food to be pretty good, but also pretty overpriced. The service was rather inattentive as well. Sonsie's is known as a "See and Be Seen" kind of place and if that's your goal you won't be disappointed. Lots of poor little rich kids, internationals and rather bored looking artsy types & fashionistas. Well, my curiosity was satisfied as was my appetite, but I don't think I need to go back. Others may find it interesting.

Favorite Dish: I had the spicy Cubano sandwich, which was ham, bacon & cheese on a tastey home-made roll with fried plantain chips. It was quite good, but should have been about 30% cheaper (it was $9.50).

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

Sonsie: Good food, more interesting diners

by Tijavi Written Mar 26, 2010

Cubano pork roast sandwich with plaintain

Sonsie is Newbury St institution, quite popular for its eclectic menu and place-to-be-seen reputation - in equal measure. I was there for the former, and I can report back that the food is indeed good. I had clam chowder (this is New England after all, and it was my first meal there) and Cubano roast pork sandwich with plantain washed down by Ghost Pines chardonnay.

The clam chowder had the right consistency, not so thick nor watery, albeit they could have been more generous with the mollusks. The pork roast sandwich was delicious and filling and HUGE. I liked how the pickles tickled the taste buds providing a counterbalance to the fatty but delicious pork roast. The chardonnay was exquisite.

But who would have thought that such good food would be accompanied by an amusing tale. OK, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help it. I was seated right next to two lone diners - a senior gentleman (probably in his 60s) and a middle-aged woman. After some initial exchange of pleasantries and where-are-you-froms and what-do-you-do-heres, both engaged in a lively conversation ranging from Ralph Waldo Emerson (both are from the field of literature) and the Arizona desert to the daily Boston grind. When the lady took the gentleman's leave, he hinted on wanting to meet up again. The lady, while being polite, didn't really want to, based on the tone of her voice.

The fun part was when the lady left. The man called a friend and expressed that he met an attractive lady and that he wanted to see her again and that he needs to get laid - badly! For all the other diners to hear! Soft chuckles everywhere....

• vrage's Profile Photo

Soncie -on Newbury st.: Sunday Bloody's and Eggs Benedict!

by vrage Updated Jul 10, 2003

It is hard to pick a good or favorite restaurant in the city. Boston is loaded with fantastic places.

Favorite Dish: I have had dinner here a few times which is very good, but my favorite is to go for Sunday Brunch and have eggs benedict and a couple nice finlandia bloody Mary's.
    -A great start to a sunday:)

***p.s...don't get sucked into ordering a mimosa...they get 13.00 each for them!

• symbiont's Profile Photo

Sonsie: Bistro with a buzzzzz

by symbiont Written Mar 4, 2006

I was here on a date with a woman from New England. Very good choice. Beautiful people, nice interior design and the food was alluring as well. My visit was during the halloween weekend so I got the feeling that the surrounding neighborhood was at its best.

Favorite Dish: What else...the clam chowder. Mmmmmm...

• Business Travel

• rozkramer's Profile Photo

Sonsie in the Back Bay on...

by rozkramer Updated Aug 25, 2002

Sonsie in the Back Bay on Newbury Street, EAT in Union Square in Somerville.
    For cheap eats try Steve's on Newbury Street (the street to be seen on) - great greek food at reasonable prices which is unusual for Beantown!

Favorite Dish: You name it, I'll eat it...

• kehale's Profile Photo

Sonsie: THE Place for Brunch!

by kehale Written Jan 27, 2010
    Delicious Bellini!

We went to Sonsie on one of our trips to Boston, for Sunday Brunch. The day was perfect and the front of the restaurant was open. For the life of me I can't remember what we ordered to eat, but I remember we were both really happy with our food. To drink I had a traditional bellini and it was fantastic. Afterwards, we were able to spend the afternoon wandering around Newbury St. It was the perfect way to start a gorgeous day in the city!

• rephluxx's Profile Photo

Sonsie: For a special night out

by rephluxx Written Dec 28, 2004

Boston's socialite hangout on Newbury St with great food and drink (and a high price tag) to back it up.

Favorite Dish: Boston's best martinis can be found here ... do yourself a favour and ask for their constantly changing martini menu.

Sonsie's seasonal appetizers are almost always good, and their market fish is often a sure fire bet.

As for menu staples, I am quite partial to their famous bread pudding. Mmmm. Don't leave there without it.

Instant Answers: Boston

Comments

Hotels Near Sonsie
307 Opinions