Union Oyster House, Boston

lobster
    sides
    sea food platter
  • machomikemd's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: ye oldest Restaurant in America (2)

by machomikemd Updated Sep 3, 2014

Part Two of My Union Oysterhouse tips with more pictures.

This Iconic Joint claim to be the oldest restaurant in America and the decor and ambiance inside definitely proves it plus is has been into numerous reviews in the boob tube courtesy of such heavyweights like the Discovery Travel Channel and The Food Network.Hence is definitely on my list of where to eat the famed new england seafoods here in boston! Dating back to 1826, the Union Oyster House maintains a suitably old-fashioned tavern decor, with lots of weathered wood and a casual atmosphere. As the owners would say "located on the Freedom Trail near Faneuil Hall, enjoys the unique distinction of being America's oldest restaurant. This Boston fixture is housed in a building dating back to pre-revolutionary days and started serving food in 1826. The stalls and oyster bar where Daniel Webster was a regular customer are in their original positions. Today's politicians, celebrities and tourists still come in to enjoy the food".

Favorite Dish: Favorite Dish: they have a numerous kinds of selections mainly seafood what else! like the oyter bar at $ 7 for half a dozen and $ 14 for 1 dozen. the clam or seafood chowders that starts at $ 6 a cup and $ 7.50 a pint and for a glutton like me, the deep fried seafood platter consisting of deep fried oysters, scallops, scrod, shrimps, mussels, calamari and clams at $ 22 a plate and my fave small steamed lobster (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pound category) at $ 28. 2 pounds or more of larger sized lobsters costs $ 35. and to wolf it down via sam adams fall draft at $ 6 and a fruit platter for $ 8! what gluttony am i commiting! hehehhehe.

Hours:

Grilled Chicken 12.50
    Union Chicken Club 12.95
    Served with French Fries
    All Sandwiches Accompanied with Cole Slaw, Lettuce, Tomato and Dill Pickle

glutton hehehe outside fruit platter sign sides
    • Luxury Travel

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: ye oldest Restaurant in America (1)

by machomikemd Updated Sep 3, 2014

they claim to be the oldest restaurant in America and the decor and ambiance inside definitely proves it plus is has been into numerous reviews in the boob tube courtesy of such heavyweights like the Discovery Travel Channel and The Food Network.Hence is definitely on my list of where to eat the famed new england seafoods here in boston!

This Iconic Joint dates back to 1826 and still is going strong at present. the Union Oyster House maintains a suitably old-fashioned tavern decor, with lots of weathered wood and a casual atmosphere. As the owners would say "located on the Freedom Trail near Faneuil Hall, enjoys the unique distinction of being America's oldest restaurant. This Boston fixture is housed in a building dating back to pre-revolutionary days and started serving food in 1826. The stalls and oyster bar where Daniel Webster was a regular customer are in their original positions.

Hours:

Grilled Chicken 12.50
    Union Chicken Club 12.95
    Served with French Fries
    All Sandwiches Accompanied with Cole Slaw, Lettuce, Tomato and Dill Pickle

the resto inside menu sea food platter lobster
    • Wine Tasting

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

UNION OYSTER HOUSE: America's Oldest Restaurant

by ViajesdelMundo Written Oct 8, 2012

We went here with a group, while attending a Viet Nam Reunion, so our dinner was in a back room and a set menu with choice of several entrees. All of it was good, the public part of the restaurant was full and looked to be a great place!

see the history of this restaurant at: http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/Pages/history.html

• kehale's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: Go for the Clam ChowDAH!

by kehale Written Aug 11, 2009

The oldest restaurant in Boston and "the oldest restaurant in continuous service in the U.S"!! No joke! The building definitely reflects it's age and though it looks small when you first walk in, they have more than enough seating! So many great finishings and details that highlight the history and age of the building.

There's nothing like going in and enjoying any of the Sam Adams seasonal beers at the raw bar and ordering a plate of freshly shucked oysters!

Favorite Dish: By far the best thing in the entire restaurant is their clam chowder (chowdah - as it's affectionately referred to by the locals) :)!! I can't resist ordering a cup or bowl any time we drop by for a meal, and we usually try to make that during any of our visits back to Boston!

We actually love it so much that we've found the recipe and make it at home once in a while! If you're a seafood lover I would definitely recommend it - I mean, if nothing else at least you can say you enjoyed a meal in Boston's oldest restaurant :)

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: Union Oyster House: America's Oldest Restaurant

by Kaspian Updated Apr 1, 2009

"Daddy, they kill those lobsters! They boil them! Nooo...," a teenage girl, old enough to know better, wails by the lobster tank. "I know, honey," her father wraps a comforting arm around her shoulders. My companion and I burst out into riotous laughter and mock her attention-seeking melodrama and the father's gullibility to it. The pair scurry away in embarrassment. It is a seafood restaurant, after all...
    In fact, this is the oldest continually-run restaurant in the whole United States! It's been selling chow since 1826. Looking at the dishes served on the tables around me--fish, oysters, lobster, crab cakes, chowder, corn bread, my stomach growls loudly. I've never tried oysters before and since they're the speciality here, they're are a must.
    Our waitress is quick and chirpy; she brings drinks right away.
    The building that now houses the Union Oyster House has a long history. The actual year of its construction is unknown. Earliest records have it listed in 1742 as "At the Sign of the Cornfields"--an importer of dry goods and cloth from Europe. It also served as a printing press for American Revolution literature, a pay-station for troops, and a temporary home for the future King of France (Louis Philippe) in 1796. It finally became a restaurant called "Atwood & Bacon" when the pair bought it and installed the semi-circular oyster bar. President John F. Kennedy and his clan ate here often and there's a booth dedicated to him upstairs. Whew--boggling!
    I have no idea what oysters are supposed to taste like, so as I scoop the slimy mollusk down my throat, I decide it's "good but a bit bland", and I add more horseradish to the next one. Oysters must be an acquired taste. Next, is the clam chowder. I'd spent the morning at "Chowderfest", sampling chowders from restaurants all over Boston, but this is the best I've ever had.
    After a small delay, while the waitress searched the restaurant to find me some tartar sauce, I dig into my fish and chips. It's absolutely delicious!

Union Oyster House (2006) Kids at the Lobster Tank (2006) Union Oyster House - Oysters (2006) Union Oyster House - Oyster Bar (2006) Union Oyster House - Building Model (2006)

• risse73's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: Historically-relevant

by risse73 Updated Jul 16, 2008

There's a lot of history associated with this very old restaurant in the heart of Boston. The revolutionaries met here and countless presidents have dined at this place. This was JFK's hang-out where he had their famous oysters at the bar.

The food here is generally okay. I'd give them a lot of credit for their rich and tasty clam chowder soup, which I almost always have whenever I dine here. The little neck clams cooked Basque-style is superb. They also have lobster rolls and other seafood treats. Service is courteous, efficient, and pleasant.

Overall, this restaurant is over-rated and touristy, but I'd still highly recommend it to any visitors in the area. Enjoy!

Favorite Dish: Mix of seafood.

National Historic Landmark plaque Outside the restaurant Booth #18 aka JFK's booth
    • Architecture

• Rich62's Profile Photo

THE UNION OYSTER HOUSE: AMERICA'S OLDEST RESTAURANT

by Rich62 Written May 26, 2008

THIS IS THE OLDEST CONTINUOUSLY OPERATED RESTAURANT/TAVERN IN THE USA. It is located right along the Freedom Trail.

I don't have any idea if it is true or not, but I am told that this is where John F. Kennedy proposed marriage to Jackie.

Favorite Dish: I have never eaten here.

UNION OYSTER HOUSE INSIDE OUTSIDE
    • Wine Tasting

• jenn5179's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: Go for the history, not the food

by jenn5179 Written Jan 4, 2008

The oldest restaurant in the country is wonderful to see and experience -- its has all these little rooms, narrow staircases, very charming.

However, the food was mediocre at best.

The chowder was the worst chowder we had in Boston - a place called Kennedy's Midtown (just near the main shopping area Macys, DSW, Filene's, etc) had chowder that blew the Oyster House out of the water.

My crab cakes were two gigantic fried disappointments. The batter or something about how they fried them made them taste like they were frozen.

The only good thing was the oysters

Favorite Dish: The oysters were very good here, fresh, good size, etc, etc

I would suggest stopping in for a dozen just to check the place out, but I would not go back there for an entire meal

• grannypl6's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: Union Oyster House

by grannypl6 Written Jun 16, 2007

The oldest restaurant in the USA. You have to go. This was a favorite hangout of writers, politicians and historians.

Favorite Dish: New England Clam Chowda------It doesn't get any better than that
    Lazy man's Lobster. Oh my gosh.
    This transplanted New England Native was saliivating over all the wonderful authentic dishes.

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Union Bar and Grille: One to go back to

by sarahandgareth Updated May 21, 2007

We went to Union Bar and Grille for the first time during Boston's late winter Restaurant Week; although we enjoyed the place, it seemed a little pricey (and, by our standards, out of the way), but they offered us a nice deal for a return visit, which turned out to be an excellent evening out, as well as very solid value for money for this kind of location/food quality. While a couple of the restaurant week dishes on our first visit were underwhelming, we had no such quibbles second time around: from the tuna tartare to the salads to the swordfish the quality and presentation were excellent. They also have an extensive wine list, some of the selections surprisingly high in price when compared to the food menu, though we did in the end find a couple of more reasonable options.

Favorite Dish: Although we were pretty stuffed by the time dessert rolled around, both the flourless chocolate cake and the sorbets turned out to be well worth waiting for: the sorbets were extremely flavorful, which made this more virtuous dessert choice seem like a good idea for once!

• Phildagr8's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: Don't Miss the Fresh Seafood!

by Phildagr8 Updated Apr 10, 2007

This place has the history and ambiance of America's Oldest Restaurant. This place is a National Historic Landmark. The walls of this restaurant has over 250 years of American history hanging inside. This building has been standing since before the Revolutionary War. It was around 1742 when the bldg contained a Silk and dry goods business.

Even the bathrooms are small.

They also have private function rooms, too, that can handle up to 250 people! It's all at the website!

Favorite Dish: The Clam Chowder was fantastic. my lunch tasted great, the steamed clams happened to have had too much sand, and the waitress credited our check for them. The seafood was great. I can't wait to go back.

This place has a gift shop on the first floor. I ate on the 2nd floor as it was incredibly busy. We didn't wait long, and it was worth the trip.

The prices were about average. They had free postcards of this place. The placemats alone had great historical information, so being the tourist I am, I asked for one, and they were more than happy to oblige.

Union Oyster House, established a long time ago The Bar at the Union Oyster House

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: Union Oyster House

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 3, 2006

Since 1826 the Union Oyster House has been serving customers, making it the oldest restaurant in continuous operation in the US. There are no records showing when the building was constructed, but there was a clothing store in this facility as far back as 1742.

I only ate here once, it was one New Years Eve when freezing temperatures limited our time outdoors and huge cover charges at neighboring establishments ($50+) limited our time indoors. We ducked in here and had some calamari and other appetizers along with several pints of beer to warm us up. Seemed like many others in the crowd were doing the same!

• Union Oyster House: Best Chowder in Town

by Perpetualtraveller Written Jul 12, 2006

We went to Union Oyster House for dinner, and thank god we had reservations, wait time for those who did not was 90 minutes. Once inside, we were treated with the best service and food to match. Our fiesty waitress was great, and the whole staff is full of life. It was a real treat for us. Dinner was fantastic, the clam chowder was the best I have ever tasted. Dinner was good, although it was fairly pricy. Great overall

• Union Oyster House: Union Oyster House - Faneuil Hall

by cyaml Written Jul 31, 2005

Biggest disappointment. We were looking for authentic lobster meal and prepared to pay for it. Someone recommended Green Dragon, but we did not see it around the corner. This one had been heavily advertised and I ordered the Shore Dinner: my daughter ate the chowder and I got the onion soup which was cold and salty; stuffing for lobster was like dry crackers; waitress forgot potatoes and never returned to see if we got them. Lobster cost $45.00! Waitress tried to give us extra dessert - no thanks!

• shohman's Profile Photo

Union Oyster House: America's Oldest Restaurant

by shohman Written Jun 20, 2005

The oldest continuously operating Restaurant in the U.S. The Oyster house has been serving Bostonians since 1826 non stop. I don't know anybody from Boston who hasn't eaten here at least once. I am hardly an expert on oysters, but friends tell me these are the best.

Union Oyster House

Instant Answers: Boston

Comments

Hotels Near Union Oyster House
4.0 out of 5 stars