Duck Tours, Boston

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Land and Sea Amphibian Tours

by machomikemd Written Jul 9, 2014

if the Bus Trolley Hop On Hop off Tours around boston is not enough, you can also do the Boston Duck Tours wherein you will ride a large amphibian vehicle for about 80 minutes and have a guided tour around boston and including a cruise along the Charles River. Among the sites you will see are State House to Bunker Hill and the TD Banknorth Garden, Boston Common and Copley Square to the Big Dig, Government Center to fashionable Newbury Street, Quincy Market to the Prudential Tower, and more. There are many Duck Tour Companies operating in boston and the areas where it start are at Prudential Center, Museum Center and New England Aquarium or at Copley Place (where many tour agencies have their offices)

You can buy tickets at these sites or online and price is about $ 34 to 38 for adults and $ 29 to 31 for children.

• Cruise
    • Adventure Travel

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Quack Quack!!

by MikeySoft Updated Apr 23, 2013

The "DUCK", an authentic, renovated World War II amphibious landing vehicle. Your are first driven around Boston with a narrative tour of Boston's Historical sites.

Then the "DUCK" goes into the Charles River for a nice scenic ride. A fun thing to do on a summer day.

Price as of April 2013
    Adult $33.99
    Student/Senior(62+)/Military $27.99
    Children aged 3 to 11 $22.99
    Children under 3 $10.50

Please rate this and my other tips when you find them interesting, useful, or like the photos. Thanks

• Sailing and Boating

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

as they say......."QUACK, QUACK"!

by ViajesdelMundo Written Sep 15, 2012

I am most definitely NOT a tour or group tour person, but when we were in Boston, it was for a Viet Nam Reunion of my husband's, so one of the activities was the 'DUCK TOUR' and actually, I found it to be quite good; and certainly if one's time is limited, as it gives you a great overview of the city as well as inlcuding going on the water, as you are riding in a WWII Amphibious Landing Vehicle!

See the website below; tickets are available 30 days in advance as well as at the booth on same day.

• Seniors

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

For Those Who Love Fun

by Mikebb Updated Jun 8, 2008

Walking through the Boston Streets we saw the Duck Tours pass and everyone on board looked as though they were having a great time. They visit the major sights and look as though they go on water. Looks like a favoured tour for the young and young at heart.

Duck Tours - Land & Water

• Rich62's Profile Photo

RIDE A DUCK BOAT THROUGH BOSTON!

by Rich62 Updated May 25, 2008

THERE ARE 29 DUCK BOATS (in 2008) taking visitors around town. It is a 90-minute excursion, and you cannot get off until the trip ends, but trust me, those 90 minutes will go by fast. Our driver ("The Great Geribaldi") was fantastic. He was funny, intelligent and informative. Oh, and he was a good driver too! All drivers must be Coast Guard licensed. The trip is not cheap, an adult ticket costs $29.00 (in 2008). Of course there are senior citizen rates, child rates, etc. And don't expect just to walk in and catch the next Duck Boat leaving; you need to plan a bit in advance. The Duck Boats leave from the Museum of Science, which sits by the Charles River in Cambridge. Its in my photo above.

THAT'S THE MUSEUM OF SCIENCE IN THE BACKGROUND WAITING TO BOARD A DUCK BOAT AT THE MUSEUM A REFLECTION OF MY FLASH FROM OUR DUCK BOAT THE GREAT GERIBALDI DRIVES OUR DUCKBOAT THIS PROUD FELLOW
    • Study Abroad

• grannypl6's Profile Photo

by grannypl6 Updated Jun 16, 2007

My 17 year old grandson said this was the highlight of our trip. We walked to the Museum of Science to take the tour. The museum is awesome also and if you have enough time, it is a must see.
    The tours are $27.00 for adults. You sit in a large amphibious tank and head out to the streets of Boston. Our tour guide named Tim Burr (he has a story about that name) had us all quaking like ducks during the ride. It goes through Boston and is the best sightseeing tour around. Going into the water of the Charles River was the most exciting.

• School Holidays

• jephillips34's Profile Photo

Super Duck Tours - a great alternative in Boston

by jephillips34 Written May 31, 2007

Every knows about the duck tours in Boston, right? Well, starting May 21st, 2007, there's a new Duck Tour operator offering daily land & sea tours of Boston, departing from Charlestown Navy Yard (near the USS Constitution). I had the chance a few weeks ago to take a preview tour.

This is a different tour than those other guys. Super Duck Tours uses more modern vehicles, Hydra-Terras, which carry up to 49 passengers, and are much more sea-worthy --- the water portion of the tour goes into Boston Harbor for a sea-side view of Old Ironsides (with the Bunker Hill Monument in the background), the Zakim Bridge, TD Banknorth Garden, and the historic North End. The other guys go into the Charles River.

The only negative I can see is that there is very limited parking available near Charlestown Navy Yard, so you'd probably want to think about public transportation: there's an MBTA Ferry from LongWharf (F4 Line), MBTA Bus (Number 93), or a 15-minute walk from the North Station T Stop.

SuperDuckTours splashes into Boston Harbor.

• johnnytech's Profile Photo

Go Boston Card "Duck Tours"

by johnnytech Updated Apr 4, 2006

When my Mom, sister and niece were coming to visit me in Boston, I was at a loss for what to do. What could possibly entertain a 5 year old, a 54 year old, 23 year old AND a 32 year old? Boston has many exciting things to do for children, but I wasn't really sure I knew what those things were. I bought three Go Boston Cards and the guide book suggested a few must-sees for families, the Duck Tour was one of these Must-Do Boston Attractions. We got on the Duck Tour at Hynes Convention Center near the Pru, I'd seen the Ducks around town but would never ride on them unless I was a tourist, but today I was a tourist whether I liked it or not.

The tour guide hammed it up for us from the start, laughing, jokes, quacking, annecdotes--this tour guide did it all. The guide took us all through the city in an open-air "Duck" which is aqueous as well as a large military vehicle dominating the Boston city Streets. Marybeth, my niece loved the quacking as well as the view from the Duck-like-bus--she also had no trouble pointing out the things she wanted to see and do--including a street performer as we passed Fanuiel Hall. The tour only lasted about an hour, but it was well worth it. My sister got a perfect overview of the city and my niece was never bored.

• ambershimkus's Profile Photo

Quack!Quack!

by ambershimkus Written Nov 28, 2005

If you wish to take an informative, fun, child-friendly tour of downtown Boston, be sure to take a Duck Tour. These vehicles, which navigate both the city streets and "that dirty water" of the River Charles, are driven by perky tour guides who will answer any questions you like about the historical city. Some tours provide entertaining duck whistles, which make an amusing quacking sound that the Guides ask you to make when passing another Duck Boat. Sometimes, you may even be invited to drive the boat in the water near the end of the tour. I personally went on one of these during a field trip to the Science Museum, also an interesting destination, and it was one of the finest experiences of my traveling career.
    Enjoy Boston!

• Galahad's Profile Photo

Tourist

by Galahad Updated Oct 17, 2005

Well, we all have to be a tourist sometimes!!!
    I thought this was going to be terribly cheesy but in the end I quite enjoyed the trip and the childish jokes of the driver were not too aweful. The tour enables you to see aspects of Boston, like the River Charles and the Boston scenery from the River Charlesand the driver/guides do have a reasonably good knowledge of the history of the small bit of the city that you are shown.
    In the end I think the tour is worth the money but it is not cheap.

Duck Tours 30.5.05

• Fun !

by littlemissneve Written Sep 14, 2005

It does sound cheesey and it took me at least 3 visits but I eventually did a Duck Tour and it was Fun !

I was the only non-american on the boat.
    The tour guide was great, very witty and informative really got everyone involved.

The tours book out really early so I would advise you to go on line and book your tickets, tickets are realised 5 days in advance. Also do go early to try and get a seat at the window

Only bad thing is that you are always moving withthe traffic so there is no time to take nice pics of the sights until you get into the water and then you get some lovely pics of the skyline.

Another bad thing is if you have a lot of kids on your tour as they generally have those annoying like plastic things you blow to get a quack noise. The kid on my tour wouldn't stop blowing it that sometimes I couldn't hear the guide. He was even doing it in people's ears

Boston Skyline from Charles River

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

See Boston from the water!

by rwlittle Written Apr 2, 2005

The Duck Tours are a great way to see Boston and Cambridge from the water, and from the road. Using converted WW2-era amphibious troop transports, the Duck Tour takes you out onto the Charles River, and then on the road into downtown Boston. All the while, the driver/tour guide is giving you history and stories of what you're seeing, and also encouraging all of the passengers to say "Quack! Quack!" from time to time. It's a fun time!

• shohman's Profile Photo

TAKE A DUCK TOUR

by shohman Written Feb 21, 2005

This is truly unique. Boston Duck tours are a great way to see the city and learn some history. The duck is an amphibious vehical that starts like many of the other bus tours in Town, the gimmick is it plinges into Boston Harbor and sails around with fantastic commentary by the driver. This is a great time for tourists and locals alike. Book in advance.

• genki44's Profile Photo

by genki44 Updated May 17, 2004

If you are touring with children,.... a Duck Tour is the way to go! Or if you just want to have a relaxing yet fun hour and a half, as the duck tour isn't something that you get off/on. Although, its sometimes hard to hear everything the driver/tour guide tells you as they drive by the sites, so if you really want to hear the history behind the sites, do a beantown trolly or other such tour, or walk the Freedome Trail!!

• lovemycacti's Profile Photo

Boston Duck Tour

by lovemycacti Written Apr 10, 2004

I'll put the Duck Tour here, but it could easily be placed in the Tourist Trap catagory. Why? Hear me out.

Having taken one of these "aquabus" transportation trips before, in Montreal, we were prepared for the experience. $24 per adult will buy you about an hour and a half quickie tour of downtown Boston and the vehicle will glide onto the waters of Boston Harbor for a vroom around.

Our tour guide/driver on the Duck, a sweet and friendly older man did do an excellent job at explaining the historic happenings and sites as we toured however due to the fast-pace of the traffic, it didn't allow for any good, quality picture taking. The loud sounds the vehicle made muffled some of the commentary and this vehicle is not for the fragile of body - you will feel every bump and nook in the road.

And unfortunately, I'd not recommend this tour for extremely tall or very heavy people, as the seats are crammed very close to one another and the teenager in the seat behind me kept his knees buried in my back which made for a most unpleasant ride. Not liking to have my picture taken either, they will take your picture before you board. For what reasons, I don't know, unless they plan to sell you your picture after the ride.

Would I do this again? No. While I didn't have a terrible, horrible time I walked away with quite a few sore muscles. The ride on the water was nice and you can get some good shots of Boston this way, just be sure that the plastic-covered windows doesn't reflect with the sunlight or it will show up in your pics. Seats are not assigned, so it is ona first-come, first serve basis.

Arrive at least 15 minutes before departure time. Tours start at either the Prudential Centre or the Museum of Science.

Instant Answers: Boston