New England Aquarium, Boston

Know about this?

• Too Expensive and ECO-Unfriendly

by JenniferO Updated May 31, 2012

We went to the New England Aquarium our last day in Boston and found it way overpriced. We managed to save 50% on the cost of tickets by presenting our Whale Watch tickets from a few days earlier. General Admission = $23 adults and $16 child. We were literally in and out in exactly 1 hour. Nothing too special. I've seen much better exhibits. What I really found disturbing was that as soon as you enter they do the cheesy photo with green background. They force you (like most attractions) to exit right by the gift shop and photo pick-up. They refuse to disclose their photo pricing until they print out your pictures. They are counting on that you buy their expensive $30 photo package. I asked them why they print the photos first and the the guy behind the counter said so we can present them to you. I thought it was very wasteful of ink (very ECO-unfriendly). You'd think being a ECO-tourist attraction they would be more GREEN. Don't like the entrapment of feeling obligated to buy the photo package. Very tacky!!!

Unique Suggestions: I did like the whale watching trip, but be prepared that it takes 1 1/2 hours just to get to whale site and they don't use any special technology like sonar to find the whale. The guides rely on the passengers to help locate the whales with their eyes. Then you spend about 45 minutes viewing, but not always guaranteed a full breech or anything. Then you have another 1 1/2 hours back. Be prepared if you have a tendency for sea sickness. Lots of sickies on our boat. The trip there and back did offer some beautiful views of the city, but other than that it was kinda boring.

• Whale Watching
    • Aquarium
    • Cruise

• Tinuvielle's Profile Photo

The New England Aquarium!!!...

by Tinuvielle Written Aug 24, 2002

The New England Aquarium!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive and sssssssooooooooooo not worth it!! Please don't waste your money there! I was not impressed at all. There is nothing there that you haven't seen else where. All you'll end up doing is walking around trying to make your way through a big crowd filled with screeming children and you won't see a thing!!

Instant Answers: Boston