Driving, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

Stuart St.
    by machomikemd
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Garage at Post Office Square

by nicolaitan Written Mar 8, 2015

The totally underground 6 level garage at Post Office Square opened in 1990 centrally located to waterfront hotels, Quincy Market, the Aquarium, and the Financial District. Other than inconspicuous entrances on Congress and Pearl Streets, the entire block is occupied by the lushly planted Norman B Leventhal park, a green oasis between tall buildings including the posh Langham Hotel.

The garage is just two short blocks form the Intercontinental Hotel and just a few more to the Boston Harbor Hotel. The waterfront, Aquarium, Quincy Market area, and Tea Party museum are all just short walks away.

Parking in downtown Boston is hard to come by, with carefully patrolled short term meters. Hotel parking is ludicrously expensive, $44 a night at the Intercontinental. During the week, the garage is quite costly too but on weekends the fee is only $9/night, with the clock resetting at midnight. A three night stay is therefore $36, a $140 savings over the hotel, not including valet tips.

The garage is very well lit, with wide stalls and wider driveways. Ticket on entrance, 24 hour real live people to accept payment. Clean, well-lit, with an ATM and large modern immaculate rest rooms. A cleaning service and car wash are available as well.

The Garage at Post Office Square is a remarkable value, cannot be recommended hightly enough.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Driving

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 26, 2015

Driving to Boston is quite easy for us, but getting around Boston is a bit tricky. Many people would recommend parking your car someplace central and then taking the T or walking, as the driving in Boston can be problematic with finding parking as well as some congestion due to construction you may encounter not to mention the horrible drivers.

We usually drive from New York City to Boston and don't have a problem navigating our way around the city, but we prefer to leave the car parked at the hotel or at an inexpensive parking lot and using the T to get around. Finding a place to park your car that won't cost a bomb is pretty hard to find, so do your homework ahead of time to find a place that is both convenient and within your budget.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

By Car

by machomikemd Written Jul 10, 2014

why go on Car rental if you have friends willing to take you around the famous sights of boston hehehe. Since I was here for 1 week, 2 of these were with my friends as I have informed them far in advance of my arrival so that they can take a day or two off from work and tour me around some of the attractions of Boston and Cambridge and the rest of the days, I did with the boston Trolley tours. and the best deal here is that they would even treat you out for the meals.

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Alamo Car Hire

by CEP1863 Updated Nov 10, 2013

I decided that I wanted to go further afield and so hired a car from Alamo. I booked on-line via another web-site as this was the best deal.

Alamo were brilliant and I would use them again. I picked the car up downtown and the whole collection process was prompt, efficient and friendly. I had booked a small car (Chevrolet Spark) but when I arrived, one was not available. Without any fuss I was upgraded to a Chevrolet Malibu at no extra charge. The car had a full tank of fuel and I was given the option of returning the car with a full tank or empty (for which I would be charged to refill). I had per booked a sat nav and they took the time to explain the basic workings to me. Nothing was too much trouble.

The rental location that I used was Boston Downtown at 270 Atlantic Avenue, Boston MA 02110

Without a doubt I would use Alamo again and I would recommend them to others.

Alamo Car Hire

• 0308PODA's Profile Photo

Limo Liner

by 0308PODA Written Sep 20, 2011

If you are looking at going from New York to Boston / Boston to New York, a very hassle free and comfortable trip is on the Limo Liner! Easy pick up at the Hilton Hotel between 6th and 7th Street
    First class individual lay back sets with tables or a club car for a group travelling together. Offer refreshments and has restrooms. They even show a movie!
    Very clean and great to drive up to Boston seeing the countryide, rather than a busy train or airport

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Roadtrip to Boston

by cjg1 Updated Jan 20, 2010

Driving to Boston is an enjoyable way to get there. We enjoy hopping in the car and taking a roadtrip. The drive isn't too long and we have managed to arrive in Boston from our front door from 3-4 hours in duration.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Parking Available

by BruceDunning Written Oct 16, 2008

There are parking places in the Boston downtown area. Be prepared for high cost, at least from a Midwestern price point. Down at the wharf area, it is $16 a day, and I suspect the other lots closer in to the center are $20+. I did see some private lots that offered lesser rates at about $8-10 a day. There may be a catch, though?

Prking ast the wharf charge Designated places to park on map
    • Business Travel

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Vehicle

by BruceDunning Written Oct 15, 2008

The main arteries coming form downtown are I-90 Turnpike. and I-95 and I-93. There is no real belt loop to get around the suburbs, so traffic can congest when traveling point to point. Be prepared for slow traffic, and road work seemed to be prevalent in a number of areas.

Road consdtruction alert Winding route toweard DAnvers Commercial centers all along the suburb routes Traffic from all directions

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Zipit with a Zipcar!

by garridogal Written Sep 2, 2008

If you live in Boston and don't own or car or if you visit Boston and are a member, a Zipcar is a wonderful way to get around. I've been a member for almost four years now and I love this service. For a small annual rate (Made even smaller thanks to a workplace discount!), I can rent most of the cars for $9 an hour or $80 for 24 hours. They take care of the gas!

Cars are parked all around the metropolitan area and luckily for me, there are many in my neighborhood. This makes it oh so much more convenient!

This is not an exclusive Boston tip. Although Zipcar was founded in my fair city, they are now available at various US cities as well as in London. But truthfully, I think I might be a tad bit frightened at trying to drive on the "other side"!

Me and my zipcah!
    • Business Travel

• alansm's Profile Photo

Weekend Parking Rates

by alansm Written May 17, 2008

Weekend parking rates are reduced in many Boston parking garages. For example, you can park in the centrally located Boston Common Underground Garage for only $12. Or, if you plan to stay around the Harbor, Quincy Market and North End, you can park in International Place for only $7. Wherever you park, plan to leave the car there and walk the city. You can reach most anywhere Downtown easily by foot. You can always supplement with the T if walking isn't your thing.

AlanSM

• KYliesYoga's Profile Photo

driving Boston...DON'T TRY IT!!

by KYliesYoga Updated Nov 16, 2007

I rented a car against all warnings... it cost me $93 for one day....and I couldn't find anywhere to park the thing so that I could get out & walk. Finally when I did park it....for like 3 hours, it cost me $16. Then, I got lost on the way back to the airport, and was frantic, I almost missed my flight. Apparently, the turnpike does not connect to any of the streets like a normal highway. Anyway.
    Seriously. Get a subway pass. They are $9 for the whole day (24 hrs) unlimited. It will get you ANYWHERE you wanna go & then you can walk the city like it should be seen! I can't tell you how much more fun I had this way! you can see all of the shops & cafes this way.

and.....when you are done....if you still have time left on your subway pass give it to someone waiting in line for one!

• Museum Visits

• DO NOT DRIVE IN BOSTON

by boick Written Nov 12, 2007

Do NOT drive in Boston. Driving etiquette in Boston is much different from the rest of the country. What may be common for a Boston driver, or "Masshole" may be deadly for anyone else. I learend to drive in the area, but I still take the T as much as possible. Not only are the drivers nightmares, but finding your way around is no walk in the park either. Unlike every other city in America, Boston is made up of a bundle of narrow winding streets with no attempt at any organization, rather than a grid. Attempting to navigate through the city in a car is a great way to put a damper on a great vacation. Driving into the city is a scenic and interesting drive, but you may still fall victim to the Massholes. If you are going to bring a car to Boston however, park at the hotel and take the T.

• Don't Drive in Boston!

by nycgrl81 Written Aug 2, 2007

This was the 2nd time I went to Boston from NYC. The first time, I did everything on public transportation from the NY Port Authority and once we got to Boston we did everything mostly on foot.

This time, we drove, and I will NEVER do that again. Coming from NYC I didn't think it would be a big deal at all, but it's amazing how different the city seems to operate. NY may have traffic and grid lock, but we literally are more like a "grid" whereas Boston streets come out of nowhere, just like the cars. And the lights don't make sense at all. It will look like you're supposed to go, but for some reason everyone else is going too, AT YOU! The drivers are nasty and relentless, cutting people off like I've never seen in NYC, and the streets are just strange.

On foot, people didn't hesitate to talk to you, give friendly directions, or suggest spots to visit. I just found it to be a MUCH better experience on foot.

ALSO, we got caught in a monsoon and needed a cab and fell over from shock when we heard the rate.....NYC may have a reputation for being expensive, but Boston rapes you on cab fare........Whatever you can do to avoid hailing a cab unless you have money to blow, don't take a cab! Take the "T" line or let your feet do the walking.

• Music

• mwe's Profile Photo

Driving in Massachusetts

by mwe Updated Apr 1, 2007

The Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) doesn't just register motor vehicles. It does driving tests (road tests, as they call them in MA) and everything else to do with motoring.

To British motorists it's like the VRO's (Motor Vehicle registration), DSA (Driving Tests), DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licencing) and VOSA (Commercial Vehicle operator regulation, enforcement and vehicle testing) combined into one organisation.

GO TO THE WEBSITE BELOW, CLICK ON "DRIVERS' MANUAL" and you can download the Massachusetts equivalent to Britain's Highway Code! This is a marvellous document, which tells you everything you need to know to make you an expert on driving in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts RMV doesn't just register cahs!

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Driving - don't do it!

by sarahandgareth Updated Jan 14, 2007

Driving in Boston is something that, even after living in the area for a while, we still try not to do unless there is no other option. With feet that work and a very capable T system, we find that driving isn't worth the hassle or, especially, the cost of parking.

However, if getting to Boston by car is your only option, we would suggest driving to a T or commuter rail station. Leave the car in the suburbs and take the train the rest of the way in. Even if you have to pay to park at the train station, it is considerably less than what you would pay in Boston!

Boston Traffic