Driving, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

Stuart St.
    by zChris
    by CEP1863
  • Driving
    by cjg1
  • CEP1863's Profile Photo

by CEP1863 Updated Nov 10, 2013
    Alamo Car Hire

I decided that I wanted to go further afield and so hired a car from Alamo. I booked on-line via another web-site as this was the best deal.

Alamo were brilliant and I would use them again. I picked the car up downtown and the whole collection process was prompt, efficient and friendly. I had booked a small car (Chevrolet Spark) but when I arrived, one was not available. Without any fuss I was upgraded to a Chevrolet Malibu at no extra charge. The car had a full tank of fuel and I was given the option of returning the car with a full tank or empty (for which I would be charged to refill). I had per booked a sat nav and they took the time to explain the basic workings to me. Nothing was too much trouble.

The rental location that I used was Boston Downtown at 270 Atlantic Avenue, Boston MA 02110

Without a doubt I would use Alamo again and I would recommend them to others.

• 0308PODA's Profile Photo

Limo Liner

by 0308PODA Written Sep 20, 2011

If you are looking at going from New York to Boston / Boston to New York, a very hassle free and comfortable trip is on the Limo Liner! Easy pick up at the Hilton Hotel between 6th and 7th Street
    First class individual lay back sets with tables or a club car for a group travelling together. Offer refreshments and has restrooms. They even show a movie!
    Very clean and great to drive up to Boston seeing the countryide, rather than a busy train or airport

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Driving

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 3, 2010

Driving to Boston is quite easy for us, but getting around Boston is a bit tricky. Many people would recommend parking your car someplace central and then taking the T or walking, as the driving in Boston can be problematic with finding parking as well as some congestion due to contruction you may encounter not to mention the horrible drivers.

We usually drive from New York City to Boston and don't have a problem navigating our way around the city, but we prefer to leave the car parked at the hotel or at an inexpensive parking lot and using the T to get around. Finding a place to park your car that won't cost a bomb is pretty hard to find, so do your homework ahead of time to find a place that is both convenient and within your budget.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Roadtrip to Boston

by cjg1 Updated Jan 20, 2010

Driving to Boston is an enjoyable way to get there. We enjoy hopping in the car and taking a roadtrip. The drive isn't too long and we have managed to arrive in Boston from our front door from 3-4 hours in duration.

• alansm's Profile Photo

Weekend Parking Rates

by alansm Written May 17, 2008

Weekend parking rates are reduced in many Boston parking garages. For example, you can park in the centrally located Boston Common Underground Garage for only $12. Or, if you plan to stay around the Harbor, Quincy Market and North End, you can park in International Place for only $7. Wherever you park, plan to leave the car there and walk the city. You can reach most anywhere Downtown easily by foot. You can always supplement with the T if walking isn't your thing.

AlanSM

• KYliesYoga's Profile Photo

driving Boston...DON'T TRY IT!!

by KYliesYoga Updated Nov 16, 2007

I rented a car against all warnings... it cost me $93 for one day....and I couldn't find anywhere to park the thing so that I could get out & walk. Finally when I did park it....for like 3 hours, it cost me $16. Then, I got lost on the way back to the airport, and was frantic, I almost missed my flight. Apparently, the turnpike does not connect to any of the streets like a normal highway. Anyway.
    Seriously. Get a subway pass. They are $9 for the whole day (24 hrs) unlimited. It will get you ANYWHERE you wanna go & then you can walk the city like it should be seen! I can't tell you how much more fun I had this way! you can see all of the shops & cafes this way.

and.....when you are done....if you still have time left on your subway pass give it to someone waiting in line for one!

• Museum Visits

• DO NOT DRIVE IN BOSTON

by boick Written Nov 12, 2007

Do NOT drive in Boston. Driving etiquette in Boston is much different from the rest of the country. What may be common for a Boston driver, or "Masshole" may be deadly for anyone else. I learend to drive in the area, but I still take the T as much as possible. Not only are the drivers nightmares, but finding your way around is no walk in the park either. Unlike every other city in America, Boston is made up of a bundle of narrow winding streets with no attempt at any organization, rather than a grid. Attempting to navigate through the city in a car is a great way to put a damper on a great vacation. Driving into the city is a scenic and interesting drive, but you may still fall victim to the Massholes. If you are going to bring a car to Boston however, park at the hotel and take the T.

• Don't Drive in Boston!

by nycgrl81 Written Aug 2, 2007

This was the 2nd time I went to Boston from NYC. The first time, I did everything on public transportation from the NY Port Authority and once we got to Boston we did everything mostly on foot.

This time, we drove, and I will NEVER do that again. Coming from NYC I didn't think it would be a big deal at all, but it's amazing how different the city seems to operate. NY may have traffic and grid lock, but we literally are more like a "grid" whereas Boston streets come out of nowhere, just like the cars. And the lights don't make sense at all. It will look like you're supposed to go, but for some reason everyone else is going too, AT YOU! The drivers are nasty and relentless, cutting people off like I've never seen in NYC, and the streets are just strange.

On foot, people didn't hesitate to talk to you, give friendly directions, or suggest spots to visit. I just found it to be a MUCH better experience on foot.

ALSO, we got caught in a monsoon and needed a cab and fell over from shock when we heard the rate.....NYC may have a reputation for being expensive, but Boston rapes you on cab fare........Whatever you can do to avoid hailing a cab unless you have money to blow, don't take a cab! Take the "T" line or let your feet do the walking.

• Music

• mwe's Profile Photo

Driving in Massachusetts

by mwe Updated Apr 1, 2007
    Massachusetts RMV doesn't just register cahs!

The Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) doesn't just register motor vehicles. It does driving tests (road tests, as they call them in MA) and everything else to do with motoring.

To British motorists it's like the VRO's (Motor Vehicle registration), DSA (Driving Tests), DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licencing) and VOSA (Commercial Vehicle operator regulation, enforcement and vehicle testing) combined into one organisation.

GO TO THE WEBSITE BELOW, CLICK ON "DRIVERS' MANUAL" and you can download the Massachusetts equivalent to Britain's Highway Code! This is a marvellous document, which tells you everything you need to know to make you an expert on driving in Massachusetts.

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Driving - don't do it!

by sarahandgareth Updated Jan 14, 2007
    Boston Traffic

Driving in Boston is something that, even after living in the area for a while, we still try not to do unless there is no other option. With feet that work and a very capable T system, we find that driving isn't worth the hassle or, especially, the cost of parking.

However, if getting to Boston by car is your only option, we would suggest driving to a T or commuter rail station. Leave the car in the suburbs and take the train the rest of the way in. Even if you have to pay to park at the train station, it is considerably less than what you would pay in Boston!

• mwe's Profile Photo

Traffic jams.

by mwe Updated Jan 8, 2007

Boston traffic, Sept.10th, 2005.

In 1991 I was shocked to see Boston's streets gridlocked from 3pm to 7pm: I've never seen traffic jams anything like the ones I saw in Boston in the UK!
    Between my penultimate visit to Boston in 1998 & my last in 2005, something called the 'Big Dig' took place, which involved dismantling the flyovers of Boston's urban motorways & moving the roads underground into tunnels.
    As my 2005 visit was on a Saturday, when things were pretty free-flowing, I'm unsure of how well this grand scheme has worked.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

THE FASTEST AND CHEAPEST WAY FROM NEW YORK

by moiraistyx Written Oct 11, 2006

cars at a stop light

My experience has taught me that the fastest and quickest way to get to Boston from New York is to drive there. From my home town it takes my just over 3 hours to get there by car and it only costs about $25 in gas and tolls, sometimes less. A train will cost upwards of $100 and a bus will cost $50 or more per person.

• Drive to and get around Boston

by bethame Written Apr 14, 2006

The best way to do something in Boston and not pay a fortune for parking is to start by driving to Cambridge and park at either Kendall Square or at Cambridgeside Galleria. Park your car in the lots there for cheap and take the nearby red or green line "T" (subway) to your next destination in Boston or Cambridge and back. A day trip including a scenic drive along Memorial Drive with views of the Charles River and the Boston skyline will be in store for you coming and going. Be sure to avoid rush hours on weekdays and the drive is quite nice. Catch and indie film at the Kendall Square Cinema, hop the red-line to either Harvard Square or Cambridge Side Galleria for sights and shopping. Or for non-stop shop til you drop start at Cambridgeside, park and take the green line to Copley and check out Newbury Street Prudential Center and Copley Place. Do not attempt to drive to Harvard Square or Newbury Street or Copley Place or Prudential Center directly. These excursions are not recommended for novice Boston drivers, and anyone not willing to pay a ton of dough to PAHK THE CAH. P.S. One cannot park in Harvard Yard unless they are on bicycle.

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Parking is problem!

by Birsen Updated Apr 18, 2005

We went up there by car from New York. It took us to get there 4 1/2 hours.Well, We read about driving in the city is crazy from those travel books. It is true! Don't think to drive all trip in the city. Parking is for resident permit only.We paid for 3 hours parking $26!::)))
    Anyway we used the Subway all trip in the city and It was perfect. (Exept, subway works until 12:45 AM)Taxi is fairly good, too.

• Driving, don't do it

by Digi Written Mar 14, 2005
    In Boston - Red Light = Green light

Driving in Boston is bad. The Drivers are among the worst I have ever seen in my life, and I lived most of my life in New York City. The roads are pretty bad, especially in winter, with tons of pot holes, lines that are hardly visible, and of course the roads that make no sense.

Save yourself the headache, don't come to Boston. And if you have to come, don' t drive around.

Instant Answers: Boston