Driving, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

Stuart St.
    by machomikemd
  • mwe's Profile Photo

Traffic jams.

by mwe Updated Jan 8, 2007

In 1991 I was shocked to see Boston's streets gridlocked from 3pm to 7pm: I've never seen traffic jams anything like the ones I saw in Boston in the UK!
    Between my penultimate visit to Boston in 1998 & my last in 2005, something called the 'Big Dig' took place, which involved dismantling the flyovers of Boston's urban motorways & moving the roads underground into tunnels.
    As my 2005 visit was on a Saturday, when things were pretty free-flowing, I'm unsure of how well this grand scheme has worked.

Boston traffic, Sept.10th, 2005.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

THE FASTEST AND CHEAPEST WAY FROM NEW YORK

by moiraistyx Written Oct 11, 2006

My experience has taught me that the fastest and quickest way to get to Boston from New York is to drive there. From my home town it takes my just over 3 hours to get there by car and it only costs about $25 in gas and tolls, sometimes less. A train will cost upwards of $100 and a bus will cost $50 or more per person.

cars at a stop light

• Drive to and get around Boston

by bethame Written Apr 14, 2006

The best way to do something in Boston and not pay a fortune for parking is to start by driving to Cambridge and park at either Kendall Square or at Cambridgeside Galleria. Park your car in the lots there for cheap and take the nearby red or green line "T" (subway) to your next destination in Boston or Cambridge and back. A day trip including a scenic drive along Memorial Drive with views of the Charles River and the Boston skyline will be in store for you coming and going. Be sure to avoid rush hours on weekdays and the drive is quite nice. Catch and indie film at the Kendall Square Cinema, hop the red-line to either Harvard Square or Cambridge Side Galleria for sights and shopping. Or for non-stop shop til you drop start at Cambridgeside, park and take the green line to Copley and check out Newbury Street Prudential Center and Copley Place. Do not attempt to drive to Harvard Square or Newbury Street or Copley Place or Prudential Center directly. These excursions are not recommended for novice Boston drivers, and anyone not willing to pay a ton of dough to PAHK THE CAH. P.S. One cannot park in Harvard Yard unless they are on bicycle.

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Parking is problem!

by Birsen Updated Apr 18, 2005

We went up there by car from New York. It took us to get there 4 1/2 hours.Well, We read about driving in the city is crazy from those travel books. It is true! Don't think to drive all trip in the city. Parking is for resident permit only.We paid for 3 hours parking $26!::)))
    Anyway we used the Subway all trip in the city and It was perfect. (Exept, subway works until 12:45 AM)Taxi is fairly good, too.

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Driving in Boston - Slow and Painful

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Aug 24, 2004

Even though a lot of the big dig is complete, the Downtown area is still suffering from massive construction headaches. Expect detours dur to road closures and delays caused by congestion. The best bet is to get in town, park, and take public transportation (or walk!)

• kazander's Profile Photo

Zakim Bridge

by kazander Updated Jul 30, 2004

Driving North out of Boston on Rt 93 we were able to cross Boston's newest bridge, the Zakim Bridge . An interesting structure, it looks more like a sculpture than part of a roadway! Actually from this picture it looks like a wishbone....or white wire pyramids, or wire hangers.....anyway not much like a bridge. At night it's lit up with blueish purple lights, very cool!

Zakim Bridge

• Now NAVIGATING is a different story

by FoxWMulder Written Jul 12, 2004

My other Boston driving tip was about how easy the actual driving can be. Now keep in mind that my driving experience in the heart of the city didn't involve a lot of map-reading. I got it easy, and was able to simply follow the signs.

Anyone who know what those squiggly lines are on a map can tell you that Boston streets are not exactly planned quite logically. In actuality, they have absolutely no method of organization whatsoever. So buy yourself a very nice map before you go to Boston, and make sure that does a VERY good job of labelling one-way streets. I didn't have to do too much map navigating, and I'm glad I didn't! The streets weren't very well labeled, and traffic moves too quickly to constantly be checking your map. So plan your route well, know your route, and be prepared to whip around and backtrack.

• I did it!!

by FoxWMulder Written Jul 12, 2004

Yes, Boston is a tough city to navigate, and yes, the drivers are a little crazy. But it isn't loads of city driving experience that you need to survive them. You just need to be able to drive on their level.

My driving experience in Boston was getting into the aquariugm area, driving on 93, some driving north of the city, and getting into/around logan airport. So I was right in the heart of things, and guess what? I survived.

The secret to driving in Boston is to understand why these people drive the way they drive. They have a place to go, and they want to get there quickly. And because stop-and-go traffic is so common and so mentally taxing, when they don't have to stop, they MOVE. And that's what anyone driving in Boston has to understand. You need to do everything QUICKLY. Accelerate from a stop quickly, because that will keep traffic moving. When you need to stop, then STOP! Not making assertive stops means that you lose time reacting to traffic patterns. And if you're going to make a lane change, signal, and then move it on over. You can't wait around for traffic to wait for you, because it will not happen.

Everything you do behind the wheel of your car in "The Hub" has to be firm, quick and assertive. Don't worry about being polite, don't let yourself get scared, just GO!

Finally don't worry constantly about your speed. Just move with traffic, and don't even look at the speedometer. Bostonians will pass you if you're not going at what they think is the fast enough speed, and that can be even more dangerous than you going a few miles faster than you are comfortable with. (and while you're looking at that speedometer, the *** in front of you might have just stopped suddenly!)

So good luck, ye hearty souls that will be tackling Boston. Driving in Boston has been a goal of mine ever since I went there last year. Well I got my opportunity, and I'm glad I did.

• I did it!!

by FoxWMulder Written Jul 12, 2004

My driving experience in Boston was getting into the aquarium parking lot from the highway, and getting into/around logan airport. So I was right in the heart of things, and guess what? I survived.

The secret to driving in Boston is to understand why these people drive the way they drive. They have a place to go, and they want to get there quickly. And because stop-and-go traffic is so common and so mentally taxing, when they don't have to stop, they MOVE. And that's what anyone driving in Boston has to understand. You need to do everything QUICKLY. Accelerate from a stop quickly, because that will keep traffic moving. When you need to stop, then STOP! Not making assertive stops means that you lose time reacting to traffic. And if you're going to make a lane change, signal, and then move it on over. You can't wait around for traffic to wait for you, because it will not happen.

Finally don't worry constantly about your speed. Just move with traffic, and don't even look at the speedometer. Bostonians will pass you if you're not going at what they think is the fast enough speed, and that can be even more dangerous than going a few miles faster than you are comfortable with. (and while you're looking at that speedometer, the *** in front of you might have just stopped suddenly!)

• Driving in Boston

by grkboiler Written Apr 28, 2004

Unless you have a death wish, don't. First of all, the roads are not on a grid system which complicates things. Second of all, some Bostonians can be dangerous drivers, especially cab drivers.

I would only drive in the city if you have plenty of experience driving in big cities. This is by far the worst city I have driven in. OK, maybe not as bad as Athens. I am exaggerating here, but driving in New York and Chicago is like driving in Dayton, Ohio, compared to Boston.

If you are driving into Boston, park your car where you are staying and use public transportation.

• Driving to Boston

by grkboiler Written Apr 28, 2004

Driving to Boston is easy. From the west and north part of the US, just make your way to I-90 and head east. From the south and east US, make your way to I-95 and head north.

Driving IN Boston is another story...

• londonlover's Profile Photo

A Driving Nightmare

by londonlover Updated Apr 9, 2004

THIS picture illustrates why no tourist should be driving around Boston. The "Big Dig," as they call it around town, is the massive construction project that is going on in Boston, and has been for the last 10 years. I believe it's nearly finished, but it has made central Boston a mess for driving. So until things change, don't try this unless you're willing to sacrifice your car for your trip! :)

what a mess!

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Dollar Rental Car was okay by us

by jessicadf Written Nov 17, 2003

We had a good experience with Dollar Rental car. Their shuttle service to and from the airport was very, very prompt and friendly. The man behind the desk, Ron, was very friendly and helpful, even at 6:45 on a Sunday morning. We paid for a compact car but got a mini-van, because... well... there aren't very many cars in the lot on a Sunday morning -- so it's a good day for an upgrade. If you can call a mini-van an upgrade. ;-)

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Driving really IS horrible in and around Boston

by jessicadf Written Nov 17, 2003

Yes, I'd read plenty about this in warnings here on VT, and heard it by word of mouth over the years. But with needing to go to Stow and Weymouth Heights, we really did need to drive. So... there we were. Why does driving stink so much? Street signs that tell you one thing and then disappear for miles at a time... if you stop to ask for directions, people call streets different names than they're labeled (if they're labeled)... traffic, even on a Sunday, can be bad... Oh, and toll roads. Yikes! We went through the Ted Williams Tunnel 3 TIMES in one day, paying $4.50 each time. Ouch!!

There! THERE!  THAT'S the road we want! GO GO GO!

• shohman's Profile Photo

crazy drivers

by shohman Written Oct 11, 2003

Boston drivers aren't really bad, its everyone else who can't drive. Boston roads make no sense, and the Big Dig (ENORMOUS CONSTRUCTION PROJECT) makes it 10 times worse.
    The T (subway) is good for getting around Boston, but some stations are scummy and not much fun. But you'll be ok if you use common sense.

Instant Answers: Boston