Driving, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

Stuart St.
    by cjg1
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Driving

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 3, 2010

Driving to Boston is quite easy for us, but getting around Boston is a bit tricky. Many people would recommend parking your car someplace central and then taking the T or walking, as the driving in Boston can be problematic with finding parking as well as some congestion due to contruction you may encounter not to mention the horrible drivers.

We usually drive from New York City to Boston and don't have a problem navigating our way around the city, but we prefer to leave the car parked at the hotel or at an inexpensive parking lot and using the T to get around. Finding a place to park your car that won't cost a bomb is pretty hard to find, so do your homework ahead of time to find a place that is both convenient and within your budget.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Driving really IS horrible in and around Boston

by jessicadf Written Nov 17, 2003

There! THERE!  THAT'S the road we want! GO GO GO!

Yes, I'd read plenty about this in warnings here on VT, and heard it by word of mouth over the years. But with needing to go to Stow and Weymouth Heights, we really did need to drive. So... there we were. Why does driving stink so much? Street signs that tell you one thing and then disappear for miles at a time... if you stop to ask for directions, people call streets different names than they're labeled (if they're labeled)... traffic, even on a Sunday, can be bad... Oh, and toll roads. Yikes! We went through the Ted Williams Tunnel 3 TIMES in one day, paying $4.50 each time. Ouch!!

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Dollar Rental Car was okay by us

by jessicadf Written Nov 17, 2003

We had a good experience with Dollar Rental car. Their shuttle service to and from the airport was very, very prompt and friendly. The man behind the desk, Ron, was very friendly and helpful, even at 6:45 on a Sunday morning. We paid for a compact car but got a mini-van, because... well... there aren't very many cars in the lot on a Sunday morning -- so it's a good day for an upgrade. If you can call a mini-van an upgrade. ;-)

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

THE FASTEST AND CHEAPEST WAY FROM NEW YORK

by moiraistyx Written Oct 11, 2006

cars at a stop light

My experience has taught me that the fastest and quickest way to get to Boston from New York is to drive there. From my home town it takes my just over 3 hours to get there by car and it only costs about $25 in gas and tolls, sometimes less. A train will cost upwards of $100 and a bus will cost $50 or more per person.

• mwe's Profile Photo

Traffic jams.

by mwe Updated Jan 8, 2007

Boston traffic, Sept.10th, 2005.

In 1991 I was shocked to see Boston's streets gridlocked from 3pm to 7pm: I've never seen traffic jams anything like the ones I saw in Boston in the UK!
    Between my penultimate visit to Boston in 1998 & my last in 2005, something called the 'Big Dig' took place, which involved dismantling the flyovers of Boston's urban motorways & moving the roads underground into tunnels.
    As my 2005 visit was on a Saturday, when things were pretty free-flowing, I'm unsure of how well this grand scheme has worked.

• Drive to and get around Boston

by bethame Written Apr 14, 2006

The best way to do something in Boston and not pay a fortune for parking is to start by driving to Cambridge and park at either Kendall Square or at Cambridgeside Galleria. Park your car in the lots there for cheap and take the nearby red or green line "T" (subway) to your next destination in Boston or Cambridge and back. A day trip including a scenic drive along Memorial Drive with views of the Charles River and the Boston skyline will be in store for you coming and going. Be sure to avoid rush hours on weekdays and the drive is quite nice. Catch and indie film at the Kendall Square Cinema, hop the red-line to either Harvard Square or Cambridge Side Galleria for sights and shopping. Or for non-stop shop til you drop start at Cambridgeside, park and take the green line to Copley and check out Newbury Street Prudential Center and Copley Place. Do not attempt to drive to Harvard Square or Newbury Street or Copley Place or Prudential Center directly. These excursions are not recommended for novice Boston drivers, and anyone not willing to pay a ton of dough to PAHK THE CAH. P.S. One cannot park in Harvard Yard unless they are on bicycle.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

A Driving Nightmare

by londonlover Updated Apr 9, 2004

what a mess!

THIS picture illustrates why no tourist should be driving around Boston. The "Big Dig," as they call it around town, is the massive construction project that is going on in Boston, and has been for the last 10 years. I believe it's nearly finished, but it has made central Boston a mess for driving. So until things change, don't try this unless you're willing to sacrifice your car for your trip! :)

• 0308PODA's Profile Photo

Limo Liner

by 0308PODA Written Sep 20, 2011

If you are looking at going from New York to Boston / Boston to New York, a very hassle free and comfortable trip is on the Limo Liner! Easy pick up at the Hilton Hotel between 6th and 7th Street
    First class individual lay back sets with tables or a club car for a group travelling together. Offer refreshments and has restrooms. They even show a movie!
    Very clean and great to drive up to Boston seeing the countryide, rather than a busy train or airport

• KYliesYoga's Profile Photo

driving Boston...DON'T TRY IT!!

by KYliesYoga Updated Nov 16, 2007

I rented a car against all warnings... it cost me $93 for one day....and I couldn't find anywhere to park the thing so that I could get out & walk. Finally when I did park it....for like 3 hours, it cost me $16. Then, I got lost on the way back to the airport, and was frantic, I almost missed my flight. Apparently, the turnpike does not connect to any of the streets like a normal highway. Anyway.
    Seriously. Get a subway pass. They are $9 for the whole day (24 hrs) unlimited. It will get you ANYWHERE you wanna go & then you can walk the city like it should be seen! I can't tell you how much more fun I had this way! you can see all of the shops & cafes this way.

and.....when you are done....if you still have time left on your subway pass give it to someone waiting in line for one!

• Museum Visits

• I did it!!

by FoxWMulder Written Jul 12, 2004

Yes, Boston is a tough city to navigate, and yes, the drivers are a little crazy. But it isn't loads of city driving experience that you need to survive them. You just need to be able to drive on their level.

My driving experience in Boston was getting into the aquariugm area, driving on 93, some driving north of the city, and getting into/around logan airport. So I was right in the heart of things, and guess what? I survived.

The secret to driving in Boston is to understand why these people drive the way they drive. They have a place to go, and they want to get there quickly. And because stop-and-go traffic is so common and so mentally taxing, when they don't have to stop, they MOVE. And that's what anyone driving in Boston has to understand. You need to do everything QUICKLY. Accelerate from a stop quickly, because that will keep traffic moving. When you need to stop, then STOP! Not making assertive stops means that you lose time reacting to traffic patterns. And if you're going to make a lane change, signal, and then move it on over. You can't wait around for traffic to wait for you, because it will not happen.

Everything you do behind the wheel of your car in "The Hub" has to be firm, quick and assertive. Don't worry about being polite, don't let yourself get scared, just GO!

Finally don't worry constantly about your speed. Just move with traffic, and don't even look at the speedometer. Bostonians will pass you if you're not going at what they think is the fast enough speed, and that can be even more dangerous than you going a few miles faster than you are comfortable with. (and while you're looking at that speedometer, the *** in front of you might have just stopped suddenly!)

So good luck, ye hearty souls that will be tackling Boston. Driving in Boston has been a goal of mine ever since I went there last year. Well I got my opportunity, and I'm glad I did.

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Driving in Boston - Slow and Painful

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Aug 24, 2004

Even though a lot of the big dig is complete, the Downtown area is still suffering from massive construction headaches. Expect detours dur to road closures and delays caused by congestion. The best bet is to get in town, park, and take public transportation (or walk!)

• Driving to Boston

by zChris Updated May 27, 2003

Stuart St.

Driving in Boston can be a nightmare. Driving to here isn't that bad. New England roads radiate out of Boston like spokes on a wheel. Check out the highway routes below to plot your route to the city:

From Maine: Take I-95 south to I-93

From New Hampshire: Take I-95 south to I-93, take I-93 south, or take US 3 south

From Vermont: Take I-89 south to I-93 south

From Albany: Take I-90 (toll) east

From New York City: Take I-87 north to I-84 north to I-90 east (toll) or take I-95 north

Driving can be a rat race in Boston. Once you get to your hotel, I suggest you leave it there until exiting the metropolitan Boston area. You'll thank me later.

• Well I made the mistake of...

by katie0139 Written Sep 7, 2002

Well I made the mistake of driving into Boston! Wow, what an experience! Smart tourists would take a plane, train, or bus to avoid ripping out their hair!
    Cabs are alright, but they will suck up your money in no time. I would advise tourists to take the subway. Its cheaper and faster!

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Driving and parking is simply impossible...

by Cabana_Boy Updated Nov 28, 2002

The

Driving and parking is simply impossible for people visiting Boston, so, don't attempt it unless you are a masochist.

The picture here is of the “Big Dig” which seems to be a huge public works project that has most of the streets in the downtown core totally ripped up, a true mess. So, if you are staying downtown (or even near downtown), forget about renting a cah (again, car) and use the subway.

In Boston, the subway is simply called the “T” and runs above and below ground through the city and surrounding area. Check out the MBTA website (www.mbta.com) for more information about schedules and route maps. There are also commuter rail trains that run further aboard. Unfortunately, the “T” shuts down at 12:30 am, rather early in my opinion. But never fear; taxicabs are readily available throughout the city as well.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Roadtrip to Boston

by cjg1 Updated Jan 20, 2010

Driving to Boston is an enjoyable way to get there. We enjoy hopping in the car and taking a roadtrip. The drive isn't too long and we have managed to arrive in Boston from our front door from 3-4 hours in duration.

Instant Answers: Boston