Walking, Boston

Know about this? Rate It!

• Gryphon, Sebastian and Thaddeus hanging out
    Gryphon, Sebastian and Thaddeus hanging...
    by moiraistyx
    Gryphon, Sebastian and Thaddeus
    by moiraistyx
    Ian Celia Phil before the Graveyard Tour
    by EdinburghRoc
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Walking, the best way to explore

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

As usual, figuring out my walking route

Walking is our preferred way to exploring a city. I do love to walk and exploring a city by foot is the best way to see as much or as little as we want. We can do a bit of shopping, grab a drink or something to eat, explore some history or just enjoy ourselves with no agenda in mind or some unexplored off the beaten path locations.

Ferni and I always include some amount of walking when we visit any city. On our most recent trip we limited our walks to the downtown area of Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, but duirng our previous trisp we did do a bit more walking....we did our own walking tour starting from our hotel Downtown and making our way to Fenueil Hall/Quincy Market, across to the waterfont and off to North End for some much needed lunch.

My travel partners will agree that I'm relentless when it come to walking...it's just the way I like to explore a city!!

• Photography

• tvor's Profile Photo

Walking Boston

by tvor Written May 22, 2003

The main downtown area of Boston where most of the attractions and shopping areas is not that widely spread out. You can walk from the North End Little Italy to the Newbury Street area in about a half hour or so. It's mainly flat as well, aside from the Beacon hill area. For further flung areas, the Subway system, The T, is pretty good and has stops near or at pretty much anywhere you might want to go.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

MAYBE THE BEST WAY NOT TO MISS ANYTHING

by moiraistyx Updated Jan 18, 2010

Gryphon, Sebastian and Thaddeus

When I lived in Boston I walked just about everywhere I went, especially during the warm months. This is how I got to know this city that I love so much. Perhaps I love walking this city so much because its the best way to run into some of those little mom and pop shops that give Boston so much of its charm and it's the best way not to miss those little eateries that have made Boston so famous. During our latest trip here, Richie and the boys had a most fabulous time checking out the many, many statues along the freedom trail. This is a must do walking tour.

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

Inaccessible Boston

by cruisingbug Written Mar 30, 2006

If you or anyone in your traveling party is in a wheelchair, has walking difficulties, or uses a stroller, be advised that Boston can be a very difficult city to maneuver. This was our first trip with our infant daughter, so we took her stroller. Finding ramps and elevators was nearly impossible and we had to carry the stroller up and down hundreds of steps in the two days we were there. The "T" only has elevators at some locations, and not all of them are in working order. Most shops and restaurants aren't at street level, either, with steps going either up or down for entry. For instance, we tried to go to Trader Joe's grocery in the Back Bay area and couldn't get their "elevator" to work (one of those open-air wheelchair lowering devices) to go down, so we gave up. The CVS/pharmacy nearby had a few steps up, and once we were inside, the cashier told us that there was a ramp back down out a side entrance, which we wouldn't have known from the street.

If you're doing the Freedom Trail, stop by the information building at Boston Common and ask for the wheelchair accessible guidebook - it will let you know if/where ramps are located to get into some sites.

Maybe this is a problem in all large cities - Boston was our first time trying to sightsee this way.

• Seniors
    • Disabilities

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Walking

by leffe3 Updated Oct 24, 2002

Being a relatively small city, once you have used the T to get to your general position, Boston is a very easy city to walk around (and certainly preferable to any other attempts above ground - the redevelopment of the roads along the waterfront - known as The Big Dig - is not scheduled to finish until 2005 and causes traffic mayhem).

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Exploring Boston On Foot

by cjg1 Updated Jan 21, 2010

Most cities I find are best explored on foot; Boston in particular. The drivers here are terrible so I prefer not to drive around the city. The bonus to walking is discovering new areas, sights and restaurants one would not get to see in a car.

• Museum Visits

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

Walk Walk walk

by EdinburghRoc Updated Oct 18, 2005

Ian Celia Phil before the Graveyard Tour

Its best to walk around Boston as its not that large a place.
    I used the subway to arrive and leave not to get around.
    Perhaps travel on the 'T' subway out and walk back but YOU DO NOT NEED A DAILY OR WEEKLY PASS.

Boston is a cool city.

• Singles
    • Study Abroad

• Monique_T's Profile Photo

Walking around.

by Monique_T Updated Dec 25, 2002

We got there by car and it was real easy to park. I must say we visited it on a sunday and got there early morning so it wasn't crowded with all the traffic.
    After parking the car we walked around. Followed the Freedom Trail which takes you to all the sightseeing things and famous places.

• sbrookes's Profile Photo

Walking and Guided Walking Tours

by sbrookes Written Sep 2, 2002

Yes, plan to walk in Boston. See the Swan Boats, and walk the street of the city. There are a series of great walking tours setup in the city. Check the Boston Globe's Thurday Calendar. The Globe is one of the city's newspaper.

Instant Answers: Boston