Dealing with locals, Boston

• "Yeah... Whatevah!"
    by garridogal
  • boston towns

by bstngrl Updated Apr 4, 2011

people have made up all kinds of names for towns in boston. theres murderpan/mattapan which not a lot of people call it. dot/dorchester. westie/west roxbury. southie/south boston. eastie/east boston there is no nothend or west end or est end. Dorchester ave is called dot ave. massachusetts ave is called Mass. Ave and there is also Comm. Ave.

• Adventure Travel
    • Study Abroad

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

Being Accosted on Boylston

by cruisingbug Written Mar 31, 2006

Our first night in Boston we took a walk from the Prudential Center up Boylston to Copley Square. Almost as soon as we hit the street, I was accosted by a tall man with literature, so to speak. I didn't even get a chance to get the obligatory "no thanks" out than he started in on me - apparently for the social injustices of "my people" against "his people". Usually in NYC if you confront the crazy people they back down but this guy wouldn't let up and yelled at me for half a block. Meanwhile my husband was pushing our baby daughter in the stroller and this man walked in front of us - if he'd even started toward her I would honestly have risked my life to attack this guy. Dude, I didn't want your crappy pamphlet and I don't feel for your cause. Get over it!

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Bostonspeak

by garridogal Written Jul 13, 2005

Bizah - odd
    Flahwiz - roses, etc.
    Hahpahst - minutes after the hour
    Hahwahya? - how are you?
    Khakis - what we staht the cah with
    Pissah - superb
    Popcahn - popular snack

• Business Travel

• Avoid Fruit Market on Freedom Trail

by kaprel Updated Aug 30, 2004

My 7 year old and I were walking on the Freedom Trail and stopped at the fruit market stand on the RIGHT side between Fanuel Hall and Paul Revere's house. I asked the fruit stand guy if I could sample a grape before I bought the bag and he said yes. Then this other middle aged man that worked there started screaming curses that I shouldn't have tried them. I tried to explain that I had permission but he kept ranting and raving. I'm writing this so that I hope if you visit, you'll avoid spending your money here like I did.

• Bostongrrl's Profile Photo

Don't be a wiseass

by Bostongrrl Updated Jan 29, 2004

A girl from Boston and a girl from the West coast were seated side by side on an airplane. The girl from Boston, being friendly as usual, politely inquired, "So, where ya from?"

The West coast girl said, "From a place where they know better than to use a preposition at the end of a sentence."

The girl from Boston sat quietly for a moment and then replied: "So, where ya from, b*tch?"

Instant Answers: Boston