Weather, Boston

Know about this?

pretty, but dangerous.
    by shohman
  • Cars & a Bus stuck inthe snow in Coply Square
    Cars & a Bus stuck inthe snow in Coply...
    by JenDoesCERN2005
    Mt. Huntington!
    by JenDoesCERN2005
  • shohman's Profile Photo

black ice

by shohman Written Jan 7, 2006

pretty, but dangerous.

In the colder weather the roads sometimes appear safe to the eye, but in fact have a thin coating of ice which can cause you to lose control of your car. Leave plenty of room between vehicles and take turns slower than usual. If you do skid, steer into the direction of the skid and pump your brakes and hope for the best. Do not slam on your brakes.

• amapola66's Profile Photo

SNOW ALERT!

by amapola66 Updated Mar 7, 2005

Boston Snow

I moved to Boston in December. Needless to say, it was not the finest timing weather-wise. I soon became rather bemused to see people leaving for work from the neighbouring houses in snow suits when there wasn't any snow to be seen & clear blue skies. After some time, I was told that you had to tune into your local TV chanel and see if that day was a 'SNOW ALERT' day (I remember thinking 'why don't you just look outside)! Anyway, I soon understood that on a 'snow alert' day there were severe parking restrictions & if you left your car in the wrong place it would very likely be towed away, would cost you a hefty sum to retrieve & you could be in some trouble (Ahh I see). Even if there was no snow to be seen, schools could be shut (for teachers who live in rural areas) so if you are a working parent, you'd better make some arrangements for your offspring and fast! - (& let's face it, better wear that snowsuit just in case eh? )

The snow did become relentless. Major roads were quickly salted, side streets weren't, so it was often impossible to leave the house! If you did, you would need to do some serious shovelling. Walking was hopeless, much of our street was literally as slippery as an ice rink. I remember an attempt on New Years Eve to go out, it took an hr for the usual 10 mins walk & after falling 'on my butt' (much to the amusement of all) one too many times I just asked to go home, we were all tucked up in bed by midnight (cue Iggy Pop song 'No Fun'!)

One morning, I thought spring had finally arrived. Little flowers were poking their heads out from the ground, there were blue skies & I skipped merrily down the street.; BUT in Boston just as you think it's all over, it snows in the night. Yep - You would wake to find there had been a silent fall while you were sleeping (& this could be late March)!

The Small Person enjoyed it though, many large snow creatures were built in our front yard which she fondly remembers; but as I say, I will never complain about a UK winter again !

• Boston Weather

by ElaineCatherine Updated Jan 24, 2005

While the Prognosticators of Weather here in Boston are well trained and do their best, they are fighting a losing battle. The variables are just too great to accurately predict weather here in the North East.

So listen to the weather reports, but be prepared for weather other than predicted.

• Photography

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Dress for the weather!

by jessicadf Written Jan 12, 2004

The night we arrived, it was the coldest temperature for that date since some time in the 1800s. Yeah, it was c-c-c-c-cold! Pictured here is Jackie (scuba_girl), who picked us up at baggage claim. She was dressed appropriately, and we were prepared with our winter coats, gloves, etc. The folks behind Jackie, however, were in for a very rude awakening and, perhaps, some frostbite.

• JenDoesCERN2005's Profile Photo

Winter...It Snows!!!

by JenDoesCERN2005 Written Nov 15, 2005

Cars & a Bus stuck inthe snow in Coply Square

If you're planning a trip to Boston during the winter months, keep a keen eye on the weather reports. Blizzards are a frequent occurance & can catch you offguard!!!

Instant Answers: Boston