Brookline Restaurants

A subtle reminder
    by garridogal
    A toast to brown curly hair!
    Fabuloso queso

Most Recent Restaurants in Brookline

Tatte Bakery & Cafe: French Country Feel

by garridogal Updated Nov 2, 2013

I must've gone by Tatte hundreds of time yet I never tried it until recently. Just walking in the door I knew that I would love it. Its decor is very French rustic, making you feel as if you've just walked into a french cafe. You just want to sit there for ages. Plus, they have outdoor tables which is always a plus.

Favorite Dish: I had a wonderful sandwich made with prosciutto, goat cheese, fig, and arugula on wonderfully crusty bread. One of my friends had a mini quiche that she said was wonderful. They have these fascinating looking pastries filled with nuts of all varieties that look amazing. I need to visit again and often.

Indian Cafe: Tasty Indian Food in a laid back atmosphere

Hey, I match the walls!

This place is right around the corner from me so I don't know why I don't go more often. Everything is delicious, the service is great and it has a nice and mellow environment with it's dim lights and pinky colored walls.

Favorite Dish: I had a Tandoori chicken special which was prepared with some really delicious sauce. However, my friend had Tandoori Shrimp and that's definately what I'll get when I go back. They were just to die for. We also got the special bread basket that in addition to Nan had this fun loaf that was puffed up and tasted like fried dough. Really yummy...

UPDATE: This restaurant closed years ago, became Mandarin Bay, and will soon be something completely different! Stay tuned.....

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Roadhouse: Should be called LOUD House!

Sleepy from waiting?

The Roadhouse recently opened in my neighborhood after keeping it's residents wondering all summer. It used to be a Vinny T's which closed without any warning last winter. It was empty and quiet until springtime when the entire structure where it and a craft beer store stand, were painted jet black. Very Darth Vadar looking. Within the next few days, however, the tiled roofs were painted bright red with other embellishments of the structure painted red and bright yellow. It was at about this time that we started to call it "The Pagoda". It was also at around this time that signs announcing "The Roadhouse - A Craft Beer and BBQ joint" started appearing.

Work then seemed to either stop or take on snail's pace. This location has a great outdoor seating area that we were all hoping they'd be able to take advantage of during this past summer; but that was not to be. We all heard about how the Craft Beer store next door, which also belongs to the owners of the Roadhouse, had no liquor license. So that's what we assume was the problem with the Roadhouse.

Well, it finally opened a few weeks ago and they have been able to use those picnic tables on a more than a few occasions. If they last till next Summer they'll be rocking.

Favorite Dish: I think they will be around next summer. Whenever you go by on a weekend night, the place is filled with hungry grilled meat patrons. Last night I and a couple of neighbors joined in. We waited quite a bit for a table and let me just use one word to decscribe the place: LOUD.

Keeping up with conversations or hearing the waitress were a challenge. On the good side, the din actually drowned out the 2 screaming children that were seated near us. And they were probably screaming because the noise was too much for their little ears!

Now, on to the food which is the real reason we were there. Well, we were seated at 8ish on a Saturday night and they were out of two of the items we tried to order. Not good. But hey, the place is new and I guess they're still working everything out.

By now I'll bet you're expecting to read a scathing review of the food, right? Well, that's not the case. The food when it finally arrived was actually quite good. Truthfully, their bbq sauce isn't as good as the one at the Village Smokehouse but it is good. Two of us had a pork chop - which was my second choice - and the third had beef ribs - her first choice like mine had been pork ribs. We all got the bliss mashed potatoes and cheddar jalapeno corn bread. It was all really tasty and filling. However, they need to put paper towels on the tables, give patrons wet-naps and the bathroom, when I used it, was a mess. They need to pay attention to these details.

I did try some sort of lager, a pumkin ale and a trusted Duvel to wash my meal down and they were tasty.

UPDATE: This restaurant closed years ago. It's now Barcelona. You missed nothing.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Barcelona: Not very authentic but tasty nonetheless!

A subtle reminder

Barcelona is a fairly new place in the hood and they're always busy. I can see why. The interior decor is really nice, they have a large outdoor seating area, those wonderful window/doors that can make a table next to them seem like it's outdoors, and the food is good. Some of the dishes are really tasty, in fact.

Favorite Dish: That being said, eating here can get very expensive if you order only tapas. The servings are very small so they won't fill you if you're hungry for an entire meal. So you should sample the tapas and make sure you order one of the entree items like the mixed grill or the roast pork. As my title says, some of the dishes are not very Spanish. The meatballs, covered in tomato sauce, scream Italian. And the sausages served with the mixed grill are also the Italian variety, fennel seeds and all. Why not use chorizo if they want to serve you a Spanish mixed grill? Food for thought.

And please don't order the sangria. It's served in a pitcher full of ice and the glasses are also loaded with it. You will not get your money's worth and just be left wanting. Who likes to feel like that?

• garridogal's Profile Photo

The Cottage Chestnut Hill: Gorgeous Decor and Lovely Brunch!

by garridogal Written Jun 3, 2012
    Ladies who brunch

Walking in to The Cottage you'll swear that HGTV got to it before you to make sure that it's as gorgeous as you'd like it to be. Picture a seaside cottage. But not just any cottage but the cottage of wealthy family. White woodwork, seaside tones, and round stones set the tone for its look. You look around and expect to see the ocean when you look out the window. Sadly, your view is of Route 9. So ignore that and look back to the interior.

Favorite Dish: We went for brunch and my friends split the French toast and an order of scrambled eggs with herbs. I got an omelet packed with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, brie, and topped with avocado wedges. Both egg dishes were accompanied by delicious potatoes and amazing scones. The food was served so quickly that it was a little surprising. However, everything was fresh and cooked to order. We got there early but this large restaurant was filled pretty quickly. So they're obviously on top of how they need to operate to keep things running smoothly.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Cognac Bistro: Le Fabulous!

by garridogal Written Sep 25, 2011
    Les chicas

Went here for birthday brunch and am so glad I picked the place. The location is sort of unique. Years ago it was a gas station. Then it was turned into a B.Good (You know, the healthy burger places?), and now it's and adorable and chi-chi little bistro. It's a small place with a good sized drinks and raw bar and the interior walls are painted a distressed red color. There was no wait for a table and there's outdoor seating too.

Favorite Dish: The meal started off with a wonderful basket of bread, delectable rolls, butter and jam. Two of us had the frittata with spinach, cheese and chorizo. It was wonderful. The third person had a croque madame, which is a croque topped with a fried egg and served with frittes. Looked wonderful too.

I had wonderful bread pudding for dessert. Yay.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Orinoco: What a delicious treat!

by garridogal Updated Sep 15, 2011

Orinoco is a Venezuelan restaurant that I've been riding by twice a day on my way to work and wondering about. Well, I finally got to find out and am happy to report that it's wonderful!

As I mentioned it's Venezuelan cuisine and having traveled to Colombia in my youth to visit my mother's family, the food was delicious as well as nostalgic for me.

Favorite Dish: We split a trio of empanadas, arepas with Venezuelan guayanes cheese, a salad with some amazing bacon covered figs (Once again, anything with bacon is greate!) and a mixed grill of meat and fried yuca.

In a word: delicioso! Oh, and we split a flan and a flourless chocolate concoction that even a non-chocoholic would love!

Can't wait to go back here... Volvere!

• Women's Travel

The Abbey: A is for Abbey and AWESOME

by garridogal Written Aug 15, 2011
    Do not pass it by!

I've eaten at The Abbey a few times and have never been dissappointed. It's a beautifully decorated and well-apportioned small space with a pub-feel. You can stop in for a drink or have a meal. But you'll want to stay for a meal!

Favorite Dish: The food is quite simply delicious and prepared to perfection. I've thoroughly enjoyed each meal I've had here and can't wait to go back! They have a wonderful wine selection too including a marvelous temperanillo.

Jimmy's Bar and Oven: Pizza, Pasta, 'n Fried Pickles

by garridogal Updated Aug 15, 2011
    Dem fried pickles

Jimmy's opened in my neighborhood recently. It was, years ago, the B&D Deli and the space sat empty until Jimmy's opened. Its decor is very spartan and modern with exposed ceiling work and pipes, no wall coverings and metal and concrete surfaces everywhere. Plus, they play pulsating music so when it's full of diners it is a very noisy place. Just walking by it you can tell as they have garage-door style windows that create an indoor/outdoor area when opened. We were there pretty early but even then I found myself missing some of the conversation from the other side of the table.

Favorite Dish: We had to try the fried pickles because frankly, we'd never had them. I wasn't very impressed with them. I really only like half-sour pickles, which these weren't, and I'm not a huge fan of fried food. For an entree I had the baby arugula pizza. The crust was wonderfully crisp but, on a whole, it was too salty for me. This was due to the prosciutto on it, so maybe they should use a little less.

The pomegranite magaritas, however, were fabulous!

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Tamarind Bay: Coast Indian Food - Delicious!

by garridogal Written Sep 27, 2008
    Ack!  I need to take a photo!

Tamarind Bay opened about a month ago on the site of what used to be a traditional Indian restaurant. You know the kind, with traditional furniture, music and decor. I only ate there twice and I enjoyed both meals there. In fact, you can find a review for it here on my Brookline page.

Then it closed and was gutted and re-opened while it still looked unfinished to me. The bar is very pretty and along one wall. The other 3 walls, however, were painted to look streaky and silvery blue and left bare. I can't stand bare walls! And it was really noticeable because the windows were replaced with the large - almost floor to ceiling type - that can open to let the air in.

I guess the restaurant was opened while still a work in practice as far as the decor is involved. I'm happy to report that they've added some really interesting carved stone(?) panels along those walls so I was able to go there without feeling like I was dining at the asylum!

(They still need to add to their decor in my opinion and they need to get more air into the place when the windows can't be opened. For that reason only, I can't give this place the highest rating.)

Favorite Dish: The best news is, however, that the food is delicious! Some friends took me there for a birthday dinner and it was a very tasty experience. We had some coconut flavored nan bread that was light and fluffy and served hot. One of my friends had the tandoori salmon which I sampled and was wonderful. The other one had the crabcakes which I also sampled (Hey, I'm the birthday girl!) and there were also terrific. But my dish, the shrimp cooked in a coconut and onion sauce, was absolutely terrific. It was just so flavorful and spicy but not too much and it was a gorgeous pumkin color. I fought back the urge to eat the entire bowl of rice that it was served with, covered by the rest of the sauce. (I had to save room for dessert, didn't I?)

• Women's Travel

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Zaftig's: How could you not wanna eat here?

by garridogal Updated Feb 18, 2008

Who wouldn't want to eat at a restaurant's whose name is a Yiddish word for ripe or luscious? Oh sure, it could also be translated to meaning "fat" but let's not go there, okay?

It's a Deli restaurant with a nice large menu and a homey feel. It's one of those places where you love to go in on your own and sit at the counter during an off hour.

They serve breakfast all day and on weekends if you want to eat there, you need to either show up an hour before you really want to eat or just be prepared to wait and suffer. It's a VERY popular spot for this!

Favorite Dish: The sandwiches are great. They have a large variety of fun and funky combinations of which you'll wanna try every one. For breakfast, I once had pancakes made and topped with granola. (Don't order this if you're hungover, the crunching might do you in) And I just tried the Zaftig salad which is greens, feta cheese, black olives, pine nuts and raisins which I had with chicken. It was delish!

OH! And you get bagel chips and flavored cream cheese with every meal....

• Study Abroad

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Bangkok Bistro: Love this Restaurant!

by garridogal Written Aug 27, 2006

Good friends and good food!

This is my favorite Thai restaurant. I've never had a bad or mediocre meal here. I don't live too far from here so and although there are quite a few Thai places in Brookline, I'll always want to go here if just for the food. Unfortunately, it's located in a really studenty area which doesn't hold much of an appeal for a person my age. It's also just about the only business in Cleveland Cirlce that I have any interest in patronizing so if I go there, it's not generally because of it's location. It's the food - definately the food!

Favorite Dish: Of all the dishes I've tried there my absolute favorite is the Drunk Noodles. This is my favorite Thai dish and I tend to order this a lot and theirs is simply great. I had the Tofu with Basil the last time I was there and my friend had the One Night in Bangkok with beef which I tried and quite frankly, gave me a bit of order envy!

• Study Abroad

The Fireplace: A favorite Brunch spot

by garridogal Written Jun 5, 2006

It calls itself "A New England Grill" and I think that's a really good way to sum up the food here. Everything I've had here has been tasty and yes, their speciality is the grilled food and yes, there's a big fireplace which is lovely to sit by when it's cold out.

Aside from the food, the atmosphere is great too. The bar is welcoming and situated right by the windows so you can have a drink, chat, and check out the passerbys if you like. They also have wine tastings - I haven't attended any of those - and live musical performances. It's got a really nice neighborhood feel to the place.

Favorite Dish: I love going there for brunch and I always end up having the same thing! The French toast - whose preparation they vary from time to time - and the country sausage patty. Them is good eats.

Pomodoro: A cozy little spot in Brookline Village

by garridogal Written Jun 5, 2006

Sat at the bar here with a friend and had dinner recently. Just loved the place! It's small and crowded, with great decor and lighting. The bar is made of some sort of stone slab and they actually decorate it with fun little piles of rocks. It's got exposed brick and the bathrooms have fun artwork and cool piped in music. Because of it's size, lots of folks sit at the bar for dinner and I'll bet that since the food's so tasty, that it's always crowded, giving the place a real welcoming feel.

One thing to keep in mind, if you go, is that they don't take plastic. Yikes!! Luckily, there's an ATM across the street. PHEW!

Favorite Dish: I had some sort of fish that substituted the Catch of the day which was Red Snapper. It was white fish, served in it's entirety, cooked in a delicious garlicky olive oil sauce and served over new potatoes. It was delicious.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

The Golden Temple: Good food - Fun Cocktails!

by garridogal Updated Sep 17, 2005

Hungry yet?

The Golden Temple is a very pretty, large and really popular Chinese Restaurant in Brookline. The food is really good, the atmosphere is fun and it turns into a Disco on weekend nights. What more could you want in life than a Chinese Food and dancing? Not much.

Favorite Dish: Had a really tasty Catfish dish and I loved the Chow Foon with Beef. And here's a picture of their Pu Pu Platter to make you droooool.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Brookline

Comments

Brookline Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Brookline restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Brookline sightseeing.