Holyoke Travel Guide

Holyoke Things to Do

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

by rwlittle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Today (31 July 2005) I continued my quest to add to the number of places I've visited which are looked after by the Trustees of Reservations, here in Massachusetts. I was sidetracked more than a little, by the illness which struck me down for a good chunk of the month of July.

In Holyoke, there's a location that the Trustees look after which is called Dinosours Footprints Reservation, and I made that this weekend's destination. Truth be told, there wasn't much to this spot. The park is literally at the side of US Route 5; I pulled into a little turn-off, looked at the small display with the map of the park, and walked for less than a minute to see the footprints. It was cool to see the footprints, preserved in the sandstone, of what must have been a herd of dinosours. I am a little concerned, that the footprints are completely exposed to the elements, and to the potential for vandalism. Many of the footprints were outlined in chalk--I'm guessing that this a place where local children are brought, for educational purposes--and the usual teenage lovelorn vandalism notes were thankfully painted on the side of the highway abutment, but still the possibility exists.

I took a few photos, walked across the train tracks and out to the banks of the Connecticut River, and then went back to the car. I then drove north up to Northampton, through some places I vaguely recognize from my first dates with M, and then banked a right onto Route 9, driving through Amherst before heading home. It was a good afternoon for a drive; I'm glad I got out, got to see the footprints, and listened to some music, new and old.

The Trustees care for 95 "reservations". Of these, I've seen:

* Crane Beach
    * Castle Hill
    * Halibut Point Reservation
    * Old Manse
    * World's End
    * Dinosaur Footprints Reservation

Brings my count to 6...many more to go.

dinosaur footprint in Holyoke MA USA field of footprints view of the Connecticut River the Connecticut River the Connecticut River
    • Study Abroad

Holyoke Hotels

• Homewood Suites...

375 Whitney Avenue, Holyoke, Massachusetts, 01040, United States

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Couples

• Country Inn Suites Holyoke

My wife and I chose to stay here solely based on a Club Carlson promo. The hotel itself is...

• The Economy Inn

245 WHITING FARMS RD, Holyoke, MA 01040

Satisfaction: Terrible

Good for: Solo

• Yankee Pedlar Inn

1866 Northampton Street, P.O.Box 6206, Holyoke, Massachusetts, 01040, United States

Holyoke Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Updated Aug 20, 2012

My wife and I were staying at the Country Inn next door and cedided to grab a bite to eat at their pub/restaurant. It was later in the evening than we normally prefer to eat but sheer hunger and proximity made this choice for us (the hotel was sort of in the middle of nowhere in regards to food options).

We arrived on a busy night with three parties going on in the catering areas as well as a full to the brim bar. We gave our name to the hostess and were told twenty five minutes. We were fine with that and grabbed a seat in the entrance way. The time flew by as we people watched..quite interesting indeed how many women go into the bathroom with no shoes; yeah pretty gross.

Did I mention there was live entertainment playing; Irish music? Yeah, my wife was not thrilled with that as it is like nails on a chalkboard for her. The only thing worse is country music. But hey it is what it is. It figured that the only table available was smack in front of the band. Oh well; bring on the drinks....Miller Lite for me and a Sauvignon blanc for the Mrs.

The food selection was pretty good for a bar with substantial meat, chicken, pork and fish dihes mixed in among the pub grub. after we saw their pizzas coming out of the kitchen; we knew we wanted some. I chose the chicken gorgonzola pizza while my wife went for their Margherita pizza. Definitely a good choice as the pizza was incredible good. The crust was very nice and I enjoyed the toppings. This was the perfect fix for our hunger pains.

Despite the loud music we were able to enjoy a meal together and were happy when they took a half hour break as soon as our food arrived.

Chicken Gorgonzola Pizza Margherita Pizza Garlic Bread Sauvignon blanc and a Miller Lite My wife waiting for her food

Instant Answers: Holyoke

Comments

Holyoke Travel Guide
Map of Holyoke