Martha's Vineyard Things to Do

The Flying Horses Carousel in Oak Bluffs
    by mikelisaanna
    Ocean Park in the town of Oak Bluffs
    by mikelisaanna
    He must've known we had snacks.
    by garridogal

Most Recent Things to Do in Martha's Vineyard

Beautiful Menemsha

by garridogal Updated Aug 5, 2012

Looking for fresh seafood?  Come to Menemsha!

Spent a morning in Menemsha, checking out its shops, beautiful harbor, and beach. It's main street is picturesquely filled with sun bleached shingled structures, inlets and marshes.

Apparently, part of the movie "Jaws" was filmed here. I need to re-watch this movie soon.

Oh! It's located in a town called Chilmark.

Oak Bluffs Campground

by garridogal Updated Aug 2, 2012

On the square

On my first trip to Martha's Vineyard - a day trip over 10 years ago - I walked through the campground briefly. I remember the square with the tabernacle and how it was surrounded by cute cottages. I knew I wanted to see this again on my return trip to the vineyard. On our first day I briefly wandered around the same square while my friends shopped. I wanted to see more of it.

So on our last afternoon, before getting on the ferry back to Woods Hole, one of my friends and I spent an hour wandering around this maze-like area. I had no idea that there were that many cottages or how intricate and truly beautiful some of them are. I couldn't stop photographing them.

So here are 5 of my photos. I've also put together 2 travelogues with more. And there still remain some to be seen... I hope you enjoy looking at them via photos as much as I did in person.

• Architecture

Menemsha Beach

by garridogal Updated Jul 29, 2012

La playa!

The beach at Menemsha was beautiful and busy. It's small yet open to the public. We didn't "do" the beach here but we did sit on its low wall and eat our lunch there. We got a parking space right by the water and it was free. So if you're looking for a beach to hang out on in Martha's Vineyard you should consider this one.

• Water Sports

Black Dog Madness in Vineyard Haven

by garridogal Written Jul 28, 2012

Tell-tale sign

So, we all know about The Black Dog and how it's synonymous with Martha's Vineyard. But I never realized how you can find the stores everywhere (just about) and how they own their own little complex of shops and other things in Vineyard Haven. There's a tavern, a snack-bar, stores for adults, kids, pets, and a ship museum. Kind of overwhelming!

Gay Head Cliffs

by garridogal Updated Jul 27, 2012

Lighthouse, cliffs, and fluffy clouds

Lucky us. We visited the Gay Head Cliffs on a clear and sunny day. Although I'm sure they'd be beautiful in any weather, we had optimum vistas as a result. This is a no-brainer. It's free and the walk to them is short and lined with shops. Go do this!

Cottage Museum - Oak Bluffs

by garridogal Written Jul 27, 2012

Look for the flag and bunting

You could easily argue that the entire campground at Oak Bluffs is a museum. However, if you want to see what the inside of one looks like then you should check out the Cottage Museum. The inside has been decorated with various pieces from the time during which the cottages were built and the kitchen's been turned into a gift shop.

It gives you a nice idea of how they may have looked originally and you can really appreciate the size of most of them.

But best of all, it only cost $2 to get in. So go for it!

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• garridogal's Profile Photo

South Beach. No, not *that* one!

by garridogal Written Jul 27, 2012

Looks lovely but the water was COLD!

Ya gotta hit the beach while visiting The Vineyard! We hit South Beach, in Katama, on two of the afternoons that we were there. I prefer the beach later in the day. It's not that hot, you won't fry, and it's a lot more quiet. This is a nice thing when you love to bring your current book and settle into it.

Anyway! You don't have to pay to go to this beach and we never had trouble parking a short walk away. If you're feeling lazy or want to bring something very heavy, like a water-fountain for example, you can drive onto a part of this beach. But you need to disinflate your tires to a certain level. The line to re-inflate was always long when we'd leave. So you may want to leave that water-fountain at home.

• National/State Park

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Flying Horses Carousel

by mikelisaanna Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Flying Horses Carousel in Oak Bluffs

The Flying Horses Carousel is one of the oldest carousels in the United States, dating back to the 1870's. Our daughter, who was two at the time, loved it and wanted to ride it over and over again. Rides are $1.50 each.

• Theme Park Trips

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

Flying Horses

by RhondaRuth Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Flying Horses are inside

Built in 1876, the oldest operating platform carousel in the country is registered as a National Historical Landmark. There are twenty-two wooden horses with real horse hair—and of course, a brass ring to catch.

The carousel is open from Easter Saturday through Columbus Day (schedule varies). Rides are only $1.00, and if you are lucky enough to catch the brass ring, you get a free ride! In addition to the carousel, video games are available as well as refreshments, including popcorn, cotton candy, slush, and soft drinks.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

John Belushi Gravesite

by dustmon Written Dec 14, 2010
    Belushi-san gravesite

He is actually not buried here, because he was moved a few years ago, but his memorial is still here on MV----A nice memorial for those fans who want to see it-----
    1942-1982
    A wonderful artist with alot of talent...

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• dustmon's Profile Photo

The Field Gallery

by dustmon Written Dec 14, 2010

Tom Maley was the artist for most of the statues in this field---lived from 1911--2000 and donated all this work to the MV township---there are other statues of his around the town itself. This is a gallery as well for other artists, but Tom is the major artist here...There is a workshop and gift shop inside---definitely worth a stop if in the area.
    free

• Business Travel

• bachrachalex's Profile Photo

MV Eco Tours

by bachrachalex Written Jun 2, 2010

We had a great time with Erik from MV Eco Tours! We took a half day tour and had a blast. Erik is very knowledgable about the island and its eco system. We paddled in Great Tisbury pond and saw the ocean! He even picked us up in his own car at the ferry station! The price was great too! I cant recommend this enough!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Kayaking

A place to relax

by Pawtuxet Written Dec 14, 2008

More than one president has known the secret of Martha's Vineyard. This is a place to relax and enjoy.... rest ... or find a spot to party.
    I always enjoy time with my kids... and our day in Martha's Vineyard was an exceptional one.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Boaters can find their passions

by Pawtuxet Written Dec 14, 2008

Some of the pleasure craft around the island is quite luxurious and I'm sure that if you wanted to dock your boat it would be pricey.... but rest assured there are a ton of options.. and lots of coastline.
    You might also check out their mini cruises... an evening tour?

• Sailing and Boating

Check out the gardens

by Pawtuxet Written Dec 14, 2008

My family is full of gardeners and we never tire of looking at how everyone else arranges theirs...or what they grow... how they combine things .... or what sort of ornaments & garden furniture they might use. Sometimes we are nosey enough to peer over the fence into a private back yard.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Martha's Vineyard

Comments

Martha's Vineyard Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Martha's Vineyard things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Martha's Vineyard sightseeing.

View all Martha's Vineyard hotels