Martha's Vineyard Warnings and Dangers

by dustmon

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Martha's Vineyard

• Deer Tick On "Up Country Tour"- The Aquanish Area

by Annnotreturning Written Apr 23, 2011

I am writing to warn travelers planning to vacation on the island of Martha’s Vineyard to beware of deer ticks. My vacation on Martha’s Vineyard this past August 2010 resulted in a “perfect storm,” leaving me with a life-threatening condition after being bitten by a Lyme Tick.

I am a brown-skin African American and traveled with a friend who took a tour to the area known as “Up Country” on the island. I mention my hue because I am brown skin and the  bulls-eye was not readily apparent. The tour guide failed to inform my friend that there were travel warnings for Lyme in the Aquanish area. After the tour my friend, who was dressed in dark clothing, did not realize that she was carrying ticks which in turn bit me. I did not realize that i had been bitten by a tick and thought the bite was from another type of insect.

Upon my return home to NYC I experienced crippling joint pain, night sweats, and a rash on my foot that would not go away. The bulls-eye presents differently on darker skin but a closer look by a doctor who was knowledgeable about Lyme would have resulted in an earlier diagnosis. By the time the doctors figured out something was wrong, my resting pulse was 36; I had developed a heart arrhythmia with no option other than a pacemaker because of my heart condition resulting from untreated Lyme. After much prayer, antibiotics, my own course of holistic treatments (garlic pills, organic aloe vera juice to cleanse my blood, and massive dosages of Vitamin C to boost my immune system), I am on the road to the good health I enjoyed before my trip to Martha’s Vineyard. Needless to say I will not return there for vacation and I caution others to “Beware Of Lyme On Martha’s Vineyard."  I know that it could have been worse, and thank God I am alive to tell my story.

Sent from my Ipad

• Hiking and Walking

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Careful for the Wild Turkeys

by dustmon Written Dec 14, 2010
    look out!

We have wild turkeys in Georgia, but they sure don't act like the stuck-up ones you see on the island---they don't move for anybody when they are crossing the street---you really can't just plow into them---they are really slow, so be carefull and don't run them over---they are everywhere!

• Business Travel
    • Photography

• dharmabum222's Profile Photo

Beware the Perfect Storm

by dharmabum222 Written May 18, 2005
    stormy seas...

We were in Martha's Vineyard in the middle of a storm pattern called a Noreaster...there were 50 -60 mile per hour winds and while it made for an exciting time...on the day when some of our family had to leave, the ferries and flights were cancelled and they were stranded on the island...not that I would have chosen to leave the island by boat in the very same type of storm that the film and novel, The Perfect Storm was about anyway

• shohman's Profile Photo

Beware Mad Marthas Special

by shohman Written Oct 25, 2003

There is a great Ice Cream Parlor, Mad Marthas, which is hard to resist. They have all the normal flavors, but once per week they have a 'special' concoction that is unconventional. For instance when I was there last they had "chocolate cheeseburger" its' true, they took a burger with ketchup and mustard and onions, liquified it, and mixed it with chocolate. On a dare I tried a spoonful and was sick the rest of the weekend, I could not get the taste out of my mouth. I have also seen clam chowder ice cream. Stick to the basics and you'll be fine.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Appearances can be deceiving in Edgartown

by garridogal Written Jul 26, 2012

He seemed just fine at first

You may meet someone and think they're all you're looking for, only to discover that they're really not all there...

Instant Answers: Martha's Vineyard

Comments

Martha's Vineyard Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Martha's Vineyard warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Martha's Vineyard sightseeing.

View all Martha's Vineyard hotels