New Bedford Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in New Bedford

• JonBru's Profile Photo

The Boat: Good Food in a Unique Setting

by JonBru Written Aug 22, 2010

Part of the restaurant is in an actual boat, which is pretty neat. Good inexpensive seafood. I had the kale soup and the clam boil. The clams were a bit gritty, but tasty and the kale soup was excellent. If you're from out of the area, kale soup and clam boils are two foods you must try. Be warned though, clam boils usually feed 2 or 3. Clam boils can take awhile though, so you might want to call ahead and preorder.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Freestone's City Grille: "banking" on good food

by Pawtuxet Updated Nov 7, 2009

I didn't stop in this restaurant but it gave me the feeling I'd like to go back and check it out. It's the classic "re-use of an old building" as it was originally built as a bank. Thankfully the restaurant has retained the exterior of the building and the feel of the historic district.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

SHAWMUT DINER

by Pawtuxet Updated Nov 5, 2009

"Best diners in New England, Northeast United States by Eric H.

No matter how many dining bells and whistles come our way, there's still no better place to be than a good old American diner.
    Diners are a true icon of Americana from the great burgers and lime rickeys to the delicious homemade apple pies. While not the most handsome lot of restaurants, diners are nevertheless attractive to many who believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder in regards to history, preservation and just serving darn good food.
    Diners started in New England in the form of street lunch wagons in the late 1800s, eventually transforming into manufactured dining cars and then converted trolleys and train cars. Each ensuing decade brought their own touch to the diner from the formica and Naugahyde look of post World War II to the stainless steel facade in the 1950s. Despite fast food restaurants nearly wiping out the diners in the 1960s, the diner industry rebounded prominently in the 1970s with savvy diner builders creating new diners with an "old look." This smart move saved the diner from virtual extinction (and a cheesy short-lived dark wood, stone facade, concept) not only prospering in its "new but old" presence, but also saving old diners from joining the scrap heap. The comeback has gone political in the best sense, too, as the Massachusetts Historical Commission recently placed all vintage, functioning diners in that state on the National Register of Historic Places."

Favorite Dish: A friend and I were on our way to Martha's Vineyard and missed the ferry. Backup plan was to drive to the Cape where we could get another ferry leaving a bit later. Along our way we fell upon the Shawmut Diner. We were amazed at how authentic and well preserved it was. Stainless steel everywhere...booths with juke boxes and vintage music playing. We had a delicious brunch in the bustling little place filled with Americana. It stuck in my mind for years since then. I recently found the information about its name and location so I'll plan to make a trip back there soon.

• Architecture

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

Freestones Grill: Eclectic Dining

by donpaul77 Written Jul 14, 2008

In an historic sandstone building in the heart of New Bedford's national park is Freestones Grill. The high ceilings and ample dark woodwork enhance a vibrant, yet comfortable dining area. We stopped for lunch and were impressed with a diverse menu.

Favorite Dish: I started with their award winning fish chowder which was very good, but was disappointed in the pizza/greek salad entree. The salad fine and fresh, but the pizza was obviously of the frozen variety.

I would imagine that other items on the menu are much better, as the place was very busy, so I would still recommend trying this place and avoiding the pizza. I'm sure the seafood is great!

P.S. have a Buzzard's Bay on tap. It's locally brewed.

inside freestones freestones

Instant Answers: New Bedford

Comments

New Bedford Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Bedford restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Bedford sightseeing.