Old Sturbridge Village Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Old Sturbridge Village

Unexpected color

by Pawtuxet Written Jan 7, 2008

Most people think of the early houses as being drab and colorless...but we found one with a kitchen door that would knock your eye out. Now that is a RED door! Notice also the width of the boards it is made from. Amazing sized boards. Back in the day when the trees were allowed to grow to a ripe old age before cutting.

• Architecture

My favorite kitchen

by Pawtuxet Updated Jul 5, 2007

I fell in love as soon as I walked through the door of this kitchen. I think I surely lived a previous life in the 1700's. Love the color, the cupboards, wavey glass in the windows and the wonderful cooking fireplace with brick oven. Racks on the ceiling to hang herbs to dry, wide board floors, and old iron cooking utensils. . . all near and dear to my heart.
    I took particular note of the iron door to the bake oven. We had a wooden one made for ours when we restored our 1700's house, but I think I need to find a blacksmith to make a door like this one for me.

• Architecture

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Dinner in the dining room

by Pawtuxet Updated Jul 5, 2007

The table is set for dinner in the way the early colonists would prepare the table. Cloths might be linen...usually white, and the best china could be brought from England or later..China when trade developed. Notice the minimal silverware ... actually bone handled implements.
    The child's chair is squeezed at the corner of the table.
    On the floor is a "floor cloth". These were finished canvas pieces which were quite durable. They are treated, hand painted or stencilled and then a sealer to protect them.

Real "stylin" hats!

by Pawtuxet Updated Jul 2, 2007

Guides dress in period costume and are seen wandering throughout the village as well as working in the various shops. They are well versed in their trades as well as the history of the period represented. Some of the hats look like stovepipes to me....the bonnets often cover most of a woman's face. They probably had something there. What with our global warming, perhaps we should return to wearing big brimmed hats in order to protect our skin from the sun's harmfull rays. I should say, however, that I am NOT wearing all those big skirts all summer!!! :-)

Instant Answers: Old Sturbridge Village

Comments

Old Sturbridge Village Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Old Sturbridge Village local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Old Sturbridge Village sightseeing.

View all Old Sturbridge Village hotels