Fun things to do in Provincetown

Race Point Ranger Station
    by peach93
    perfect way to end the day
    by haikutaxi
    Kite shop by the beach
    by aukahkay

Most Viewed Things to Do in Provincetown

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Whale watching cruise

by leffe3 Updated Jan 31, 2006

There are several companies that offer such cruises based in the dock. All are fairly similar in what they offer - 3 hours on the seas, guaranteed sighting or credit for future trip (it's rare that at least one is not spotted) and fairly similiar in price ($17-20). Some offer discounts of $3 for voucher from hotel (ask at reception) or the company that runs the fast ferry from Boston offers $5 discount with a ticket for the ferry (but it is the most expensive at $20). Choice of company as much depends on timetable to suit your needs, tours starting from anything between 930am through, dependent on time of year, to sunset trips. It's worth every cent, although level of sighting varies.

• Cruise
    • Whale Watching

• stiab3's Profile Photo

Whale Watching

by stiab3 Written Jan 28, 2005

What a fabulous trip this was! Boy did we see whales!

No-one can guarantee that you will see whales or how many you will see on a given day but I was lucky and the day I went we saw a few whales and one of them was just yards away from the boat . . .

We stayed and watched it for about an hour. I recorded some good video.

It was an amazing experience.

The boat we watched the whales from
    • Whale Watching

The chilly ocean

by chodearm Updated Sep 30, 2004

I look at this photo, without knowing its direct location I can put a bid in on what the water tempature is. I would say 70 degrees on the F not the C. The blues look warm, not deep enough of a tone for cold. Looks are decieving. Remember, there are woman that when you reach the bed with them you find a manly suprise.

This is the view from the Cape Cod Lighthouse looking straight out to Europe.

Transatlaticism
    • Water Sports

Marconi Beach

by chodearm Updated Sep 30, 2004

This summer has had many days with my skin completely engulfed by seawater. I swam the oceans of LI numerous times, but never touched this epidermis to any other liquids except the showers. Cape Cod waters were to host my de-virginitizing, Marconi Beach was to be the set. I unsheathed my upper half leaving my shivies on with towel in hand I crossed the expanse of sand. Dropping my belongings on shorelines edge I just ran for it! Toes touched first, than knees than bellybutton filled with the salty waters. As the water level hardened my nipples I quickly realized these waters had way more chill than down south in LI. I ducked the head beaneath airs end into the murky darkness. Usually this acts warms you up, but these waters were unforgiving. I got turtle shock down yonder as my skin riddled with goose bumps. Shivers rode my spinal column forcing the ocean to spit me back onto the shore. Thats it, these waters are too frigging cold. I tried to battle the Cape Cod ocean, but it tossed my limp body around an ice block and quickly rejected me.

Marconi was no mahoney
    • Water Sports

Indian Neck Point

by chodearm Updated Sep 30, 2004

After setting up site in 3 minutes flat at Nickerson, we were rushing to get a glimpse of the large orange fire ball before it went into its 9 or so hour hibernation. We repeditively braked and gassed the Powder Blue ugly muscle cart to Indian Neck Point, in search of any clearing to the open Cape Cod Bay. Reaching a Park Ranger barricade we put an end to the motors motions and parked that grotesque mobile.
    "Yeah you can see the sunset from the beach, we are also having a firework show tonight."
    So a coincidence has occured we get a two for one. We cruise route 6 looking for an end of daylight, and instead get to watch dark skys come to life with color.
    As the skys orange slowly diminished to black, Yuki and I walked the shoreline to rid ourselves of any other human prescence. We wanted this alone. We found our viewing spot around a bluff or two, we were in solitude. Lapping of bay ripples only noise present. As we fumbled with the tri-pod a lone fox came up to Yuki and I, gave us a glare of confusion, questioning our tresspassing, and continued on its mission to feed the nightly hungerbug. I'm hungry!

Free colored skys

Cape Cod Light House

by chodearm Updated Sep 29, 2004

Yuki likes salt, I like sugar. She is sweet but not into gorge herself on them, I'm a different story. We went to Hyannis on the Cape to do a little food shopping. Yeah JFK is from there. Well, Yuki in her salt fit needed some chips. Thousands of differences in taste is finely picked through by Yukes. Each nuance of info, salt, pepper, vinegar, bar-b-q, gets great attention paid. Today she settled on the Sea-Salt Cape Cod Chip. The bag was beautiful in package design, and fit the area. The cover graphic was a high contrast photo of a light house. The chips were gobbled up quickly, and rode Yuki's digestion tract. I forgot about them. Next morning after the Provincelands we stopped at the Cape Cod Light. It was the same one that was on the bag.

Cape Cood light in real life

Kettle Ponds

by chodearm Updated Sep 29, 2004

The Provincelands have dunes with higher elevations than my native Long Island, and than sometimes falls below sea level creating an open gash to the ground water. A kettle pond is just that, no streams or other water source feed the pond. Its a depression in the earth that is filled with ground water. These ponds create habitats
    for various bugs and animals. Frog bellows could be heard echoing if you wait in silence. The trail meandesr through a collection of these kettle ponds with shoot off trails that take you to waters edge.

lilypads

Provincelands, Cape Cod National Seashore

by chodearm Updated Sep 28, 2004

The national park system has an interpretive center/visitor center here. Walking in there and obviously giving their bathroom a run for its money, we found out about a trail that traced the circumference of two kettle ponds that were set among a dunescape. The trail introduces the hiker with a pond completely blanketed in lily pads. Following along the sandy trail weaves through forest sometimes opening to semi-arid dune fields. The hike continued for about one hour, but give some spare time to sit pondside, to quietly wait for frog bellows.

tree and sand

• Alphons's Profile Photo

This is what we see in Provincetown.

by Alphons Updated Aug 25, 2004

This is what we see in Provincetown when we where looking for a rent a bike shop.
    Me as a real Dutchman would make a bike ride on Cape Cod. So My friend from Boston and I rent bikes and go look for the real bike trial on Cape Cod.

Provincetown.

• Alphons's Profile Photo

Provincetown.

by Alphons Updated Aug 25, 2004

And here in Provincetown we finish our trip to Cape Cod.
    And here we walk an hour and visit a lot of souvenirshops and bij real liquorice, and eat a good meal in one of the good bars.
    It was a pleasant trip and we have a lot of fun there.

Street in Provincetown.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Great sand

by londonlover Updated Jul 8, 2003

The sand here is very grainy--mostly made of the tinniest little rocks you've seen. This makes for a good foot massage while you walk barefoot along the shore! This here is called Race Point Beach--fairly deserted!

Race Point

• dustgod's Profile Photo

Bike riding. A bike is your...

by dustgod Written Feb 25, 2003

Bike riding. A bike is your key to the city. Parking is expensive and rare. A bike gets you everywhere. Ride into town, or ride to a nearby trail. There are bike paths across Route 6, and a couple beauties just past town in N.Truro. High Head
    and Pilgrim watchamacallit are nice rides.
    If you take the superlong dune trails, be prepared by taking water and covering yourself in mosquito spray.
    There are some high hills, so learn to use your gears, freaky. One of my favorite times there I biked during a wet season. Clear trails, and sometimes 1 1/2 feet of water to ride through!

• Cycling

• The Jetty on the West end of...

by GeorgeJabin Written Feb 25, 2003

The Jetty on the West end of town.
    This Jetty has to be about a mile long. The further you walk, the more spectacular the view of P'town harbor is. If you continue all the way out, you eventually will reach some amazing sandy beaches.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• Easty's Profile Photo

Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch

by Easty Written Oct 5, 2002

There are many whales that take up residence right off the cost of Cape Cod. This is the perfect opportunity to see whales. I was not disappointed. The day I was on this whale watch from Provincetown, I saw about 15 whales. It was amazing to see.

• MacMillan Wharf

by zChris Written Feb 25, 2003

Check out MacMillan Wharf, which is Provincetown's centre of maritime activity. From here you can watch the fishermen set out, local boys jumping into the harbour, and catch a Whale Watch boat out to the Atlantic. The view of the town from the wharf is also very interesting. At the end of MacMillan Wharf is the Whydah Museum, chronicling the find and excavation of the Whydah treasure ship off the coast of Cape Cod.

Town from MacMillan Wharf

Crown and Anchor Inn
Aerie House & Beach Club
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Provincetown

Comments

Provincetown Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Provincetown locals.
Map of Provincetown