Fun things to do in Provincetown

Race Point Ranger Station
    by peach93
    perfect way to end the day
    by haikutaxi
    Kite shop by the beach
    by aukahkay

Most Viewed Things to Do in Provincetown

Inviting Arcade

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 28, 2007

Shopping is more fun when the building is interesting. Such is the case with this arcade filled with colorful treasures for you to carry home. As you pass through the elaborate three story mall, you walk towards the light of the beach beyond. You can step outside onto the sand and see a bit of the harbor. I was actually distracted by this concept so much so that I didn't pay much attention to the things in the shops. I'm sure you could spend hours poking around to find your special soulvenir.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Mix it up w/ the hustle and bustle of P-town

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 27, 2007

Provincetown is known for it's narrow crowded streets filled with interesting shops, galleries, and folks of all description. You can find just about everything you are looking for...and I mean that literally. Some of it is pretty off the wall ... but most of it is creative and intrigueing. There isn't so much of that Cape Cod "artsy" feel of years ago when artists painted seascapes on the streets, but you'll certainly find things to entertain you on that special thoroughfare that stretches for about two miles at land's end.
    Of course I notice the architecture along the way as well. There are some interesting buildings still surviving and others being restored this year. Good to see that Provincetown is still vital after so many years of being a tourist destination. She changes yearly... but seems to survive in spite of everyone. I like places like that.

• Gay and Lesbian

Provincetown Art Museum

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 28, 2007

I didn't visit this museum but I'm told their collections are wonderful. They outgrew their original building...next door. Lots of discussions and arguements ensued as they came to this design for an addition that would be modern, spacious and appropriate for the expanded needs. Unfortunately I think they missed the mark. Preservationists will continue to complain until one day perhaps there will be some alterations to make the building more appealing. Wish I had time to visit the interiors, tho...as I'm sure the space works wonderfully if you are inside and looking out.

• Museum Visits

Cape Cod Light House

by chodearm Updated Sep 29, 2004

Yuki likes salt, I like sugar. She is sweet but not into gorge herself on them, I'm a different story. We went to Hyannis on the Cape to do a little food shopping. Yeah JFK is from there. Well, Yuki in her salt fit needed some chips. Thousands of differences in taste is finely picked through by Yukes. Each nuance of info, salt, pepper, vinegar, bar-b-q, gets great attention paid. Today she settled on the Sea-Salt Cape Cod Chip. The bag was beautiful in package design, and fit the area. The cover graphic was a high contrast photo of a light house. The chips were gobbled up quickly, and rode Yuki's digestion tract. I forgot about them. Next morning after the Provincelands we stopped at the Cape Cod Light. It was the same one that was on the bag.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Gardens filled with perennial favorites

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 29, 2007

I don't know who is doing all the gardening out there at the end of the Cape, but whoever it is...they are certainly spending plenty of time on making their homes and yards look picture perfect. It would take me 8 hours a day to keep my property looking like some of the gardens we enjoyed.
    The Cape is known for its Hydraengers...and they really are striking.

Provincelands, Cape Cod National Seashore

by chodearm Updated Sep 28, 2004

The national park system has an interpretive center/visitor center here. Walking in there and obviously giving their bathroom a run for its money, we found out about a trail that traced the circumference of two kettle ponds that were set among a dunescape. The trail introduces the hiker with a pond completely blanketed in lily pads. Following along the sandy trail weaves through forest sometimes opening to semi-arid dune fields. The hike continued for about one hour, but give some spare time to sit pondside, to quietly wait for frog bellows.

Seaside architecture ~

by Pawtuxet Updated Jul 29, 2007

Natural shingles, picket fences, interesting gates framing precious little gardens filled with perennials...large or small...each house has its own beauty. So much to see walking down one street. First we turned right from the main intersection.. and that's where most of the retail is...but turn left from the intersection and things quiet down. You will find many marvelous galleries as well as all the beautiful gardens, homes, and quick little views in between the houses. Things are packed pretty tightly on this little spit of land, but there are volumes included for your pleasure.

Marlene found one for sale! She picked up the information, but think it was a bit too pricey for her.

Landmarks and special places

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 27, 2007

The Masons built the tower as the PILGRIM MONUMENT on Provincetown many years ago during the Roosevelt Administration. I'm not sure why it was a project of the Masons...maybe one of you can enlighten me... but it stands as a landmark today. The town hall serves as a meeting place, public space, and all around handy building to have around. The library, (not pictured here) is being totally restored and hopes for a bright future.
    The old post card is a pic of Teddy Roosevelt laying the first stone for the tower to be built on August 20, 1907.

Marconi Beach

by chodearm Updated Sep 30, 2004

This summer has had many days with my skin completely engulfed by seawater. I swam the oceans of LI numerous times, but never touched this epidermis to any other liquids except the showers. Cape Cod waters were to host my de-virginitizing, Marconi Beach was to be the set. I unsheathed my upper half leaving my shivies on with towel in hand I crossed the expanse of sand. Dropping my belongings on shorelines edge I just ran for it! Toes touched first, than knees than bellybutton filled with the salty waters. As the water level hardened my nipples I quickly realized these waters had way more chill than down south in LI. I ducked the head beaneath airs end into the murky darkness. Usually this acts warms you up, but these waters were unforgiving. I got turtle shock down yonder as my skin riddled with goose bumps. Shivers rode my spinal column forcing the ocean to spit me back onto the shore. Thats it, these waters are too frigging cold. I tried to battle the Cape Cod ocean, but it tossed my limp body around an ice block and quickly rejected me.

• Water Sports

Kettle Ponds

by chodearm Updated Sep 29, 2004

The Provincelands have dunes with higher elevations than my native Long Island, and than sometimes falls below sea level creating an open gash to the ground water. A kettle pond is just that, no streams or other water source feed the pond. Its a depression in the earth that is filled with ground water. These ponds create habitats
    for various bugs and animals. Frog bellows could be heard echoing if you wait in silence. The trail meandesr through a collection of these kettle ponds with shoot off trails that take you to waters edge.

Asian your passion?

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 28, 2007

You can find some wonderful Asian imports in one of the shops. Some of the things in the specialty shops are expensive, but one of a kind focus items which you would use and treasure for many years. Each shopping experience and architectural style seems to differ from the last... for a complete sensory experience. We enjoyed the space behind the Asian store where there was a perfectly serene Zen garden with garden elements for sale. It was a welcome resting place.

• Luxury Travel

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Check out where it is ! maps included

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 30, 2007

Seeing Provincetown on the map gives you a better idea of what the place is like, I think. You are definately driving out into the ocean here. It's quite a special place. Wish I could have ridden in a dune buggy. We talked about it, but rain was threatening so we changed the plan.

• Whale Watching

Indian Neck Point

by chodearm Updated Sep 30, 2004

After setting up site in 3 minutes flat at Nickerson, we were rushing to get a glimpse of the large orange fire ball before it went into its 9 or so hour hibernation. We repeditively braked and gassed the Powder Blue ugly muscle cart to Indian Neck Point, in search of any clearing to the open Cape Cod Bay. Reaching a Park Ranger barricade we put an end to the motors motions and parked that grotesque mobile.
    "Yeah you can see the sunset from the beach, we are also having a firework show tonight."
    So a coincidence has occured we get a two for one. We cruise route 6 looking for an end of daylight, and instead get to watch dark skys come to life with color.
    As the skys orange slowly diminished to black, Yuki and I walked the shoreline to rid ourselves of any other human prescence. We wanted this alone. We found our viewing spot around a bluff or two, we were in solitude. Lapping of bay ripples only noise present. As we fumbled with the tri-pod a lone fox came up to Yuki and I, gave us a glare of confusion, questioning our tresspassing, and continued on its mission to feed the nightly hungerbug. I'm hungry!

• The Pier

by peach93 Written Jun 25, 2007

Provincetown's pier is just off the main part of Commercial Street. Not only is it beautiful, and God it really is, but it's got a lot of things to do. From the pier you can charter a boat to take you fishing, book a whale watch or visit the town's Pirate Museum. The atmosphere of the pier provides for endless photo opportunities with its many boats and beautiful views of Cape Cod bay. If nothing else take a stroll down the pier just to look.

• Gay and Lesbian

• RekaD's Profile Photo

Herring Cove Beach

by RekaD Updated Jul 9, 2006

A beautiful, quiet beach. Perfect for relaxing on a summer day! There's plenty of parking, the beach is very easy to get to (just off Route 6). The sand is pretty coarse, the water pretty clear, and Herring Cove seems to have less seaweed than you'll find on some Cape beaches.

Provincetown has four beaches -- Herring Cove Beach, Long Point Beach, Race Point Beach, and Harbor Beach -- and all are beautiful!

Provincetown Hotels

Latest: Mar 26, 2014
Aerie House & Beach Club
Latest: Apr 12, 2014

Instant Answers: Provincetown

Comments

Provincetown Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Provincetown locals.
Map of Provincetown