Salem Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Salem

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Fountain Place: Mom and Pop Spot

by garridogal Written Nov 18, 2013

Truthfully, I was a little offset by the place when we first got here because I was seated, waiting for my friend to use the restroom, for about 10 minutes before my presence was acknowledged. The waitress finally did and she was very friendly so all was forgiven. I came to realize that this is a quintessential mom and pop sort of place where I'd love to have breakfast some time.

Favorite Dish: We both ordered roll-up sandwiches. My friend had roast beef but I decided to try one with Greek sausage. It was good, not great and the french fries were frozen. Like I said, I think breakfast would be the better meal to have here. Lunch wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

The Great Escape(Closed): Incredible Lunch

by cjg1 Updated Nov 6, 2013

Lobster and Shrimp Pomodoro

The Great Escape Restaurant is house in the building which was once America’s oldest active jail having been built in 1813 and remaining open until 1991. My wife suggested this place and after hearing the history of the building, I was all for it. The restaurant interior is a jail theme with brick walls, the original two foot thick granite floor, a bar made out of recycled cell doors, and cell bars all around.

We made a reservation for a 12pm Sunday lunch; thinking it would be busy for the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Surprisingly, as we entered there was only one other table of patrons. The lack of patrons allowed us to choose our table. We of course chose the table with cell bars flanking it. The host handed us menus and we began to peruse the items. The menu was loaded with appetizers, soups, pasta, seafood, pork, lamb, beef, and chicken selections.

Our waiter Mack came over and took our order. I chose the Al Capone; a pasta dish with fresh fussili, Italian sausage and broccoli rabe with sliced hot cherry peppers tossed in a garlic and olive oil sauce. My wife chose the Lobster and Shrimp Pomodoro; a pasta dish with fresh fussili with lobster meat and shrimp, in tomato sauce with parmesan cheese. To drink; I chose a Sprite and my wife ordered a club soda with lime.

About five minutes later Mack arrived with some warm fresh rolls along with some olive oil for dipping. The rolls were very good, soft, warm and perfect when dipped in the flavorful oil. I had to stop myself from eating more and spoiling my appetite. Less than ten minutes later our entrees arrived piping hot. The portions were very large; enough for two people in my opinion.

I truly loved my entrée. The pasta was incredibly fresh. The sausage was sliced very thinly which made for an excellent flavor. The broccoli rabe and cheery peppers were delicious covered in the garlic and oil sauce. My wife had the winning dish in my opinion. Her pasta was covered in a rich tomato sauce with large whole shrimp and huge chunks of lobster meal. After stealing a few forkfuls, I know what I’m having next time we are here.

Unfortunately due to the large portions we didn’t have dessert. We barely ate half of our entrees it was just so much food. This was an excellent meal and I can’t wait to return.

**FYI: Mon-Friday there is a lunch menu. Sunday lunch is the dinner menu.**

Favorite Dish: I truly loved my entree but I would have to say my wife's was the best of the two.

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Gulu-Gulu Cafe: Delicious wraps on a lunchtime

by CEP1863 Written Oct 26, 2013
    Front of Gulu-Gulu Cafe

I had walked past this cafe on my way to visit Chestnut Street and the Witch House and as the menu looked so good I decided that I would return for lunch on my way back.

I was greeted and seated quite quickly even though the cafe was busy. The waitress was very friendly and prepared to answer my questions. Eventually I plumped for an Essjay wrap which was packed with avocado, cranberries, chopped apple, hummus, tomatoes and salad leaves. There was also a choice of wraps to suit all tastes. The food arrived promptly and was excellent, just the right amount of seasoning and a generous amount of filling.

There was an extensive choice of beers and I noticed that on an evening there is live music most nights. It would definitely be a place that I would return to and one that I would recommend.

Opening hours are 08:09am until midnight, with hours extended until 01:00am from Wednesdays through to Saturdays.

Favorite Dish: There is an extensive menu but the wraps are particularly tasty for a lunchtime meal.

• Beer Tasting

Capt's Waterfront Grill & Pub: Great View...Not So Great Food

by cjg1 Updated Oct 2, 2013

Nice Waterfront View(9/2013)

My wife and I were enjoying a nice day in Salem and were in need of a good lunch. We both decided a nice seafood lunch with a view would be perfect considering the beautiful weather. We have our favorite local restaurants but my wife felt like trying a new place after seeing Capt's. The restaurant was right on the water (Pickering Wharf) and had a nice view of the Friendship.

We entered the restaurant and requested a table for two. We were told it would be a twenty five minute wait and we said we'd wait in the bar until the table was ready. We barely were in our seats at the bar and the host came to escort us to our table. We had a table for two on their outdoor patio on the top floor of the restaurant. We were handed menus and let to peruse the selections.

The menu has a large variety of seafood; the typical lobster, crab, shrimp, and the like. They also have some non seafood selections;but who goes to a seafood joint and not get seafood. When the waiter arrived we placed our orders; crab cake platter for my wife and the tuna steak with a Wasabi glaze for me. We both chose some unsweeteened ice teas for our beverages.

After sitting in the sun for five minutes my wife and I couldn't take the heat or the burn;so we switched to a table out of the sun thankfully. Our order was taking a longer than normal time to come out and when it arrived the dissapointment began. Both of our entrees were not hot; they were at best room temperature. My tuna must have been sitting out for some time as the Wasabi Glaze had congealed on the plate into a hard paste. My wife's crab cake was the bigger dissapointment; they was almost no identifiable crab. The cake was all filler; breadcrumbs and veggies mashed up into a cake. We ate a bit and then decided to just give up.

Trying to track down a waiter became a game and we finally just gave up and asked for a check. We paid and decided to get out of here in search of a better option. When we were going down the stairs the host asked how our meal was. My wife told him the truth that it was a big dissapointment and that her crab cakes had no crab, No repsonse in apology or concern from the host; nice customer service. This place will never get a second chance to dissapoint me...we will go back to Finz across the way where they have good food.

Jaho Coffe and Tea: YUMMY COFFEE DRINKS

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gryphon thinking another coffee

Jaho was the second of two coffee stops I was forced to make so the boys could use the bathroom. The girl behind the counter was pleasantly surprised when I told her how I had to buy a coffee cause they had to pee. She thanked me for being honest and abiding by the bathrooms for patrons signs posted.

I am actually glad that I stopped. I got a most delicious frozen coffee drink. It had the flavors of vanilla and toffee in it. While they made my drink I browsed the freshly made gelattos in the cabinet. They all looked very yummy. Anyway, I really liked my coffee drink. It was refreshing on a very hot day and was tastier than anything Starbucks has to offer for about the same price.

There was also an assortment of cakes and pastries available for you to chose from.

Favorite Dish: My frozen coffee drink.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

Bay Bridge Restaurant And Nightclub: COME SEE YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS ON SUNDAYS

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 4, 2011

One our way out of Salem, SES and I stopped at this place to eat, only because it was part of the American I Dines program. This was a mistake to eat here. The food was nasty, the service wasn't anything great and the waitress got my check wrong. The one saving grace was the Buzz Lightyear walking around making people laugh. It turns out every Sunday a different character come to have brunch with the little ones.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the baked scallops. When they arrived they were covered with some bread crumb mixture and they were way over cooked. SES got some taco salad which looked like they took a garden salad and dumped some meat on top of it and served it as a taco salad. The iced tea was good.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Victoria Station: Enjoy the view!

by Jefie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Welcome to Victoria Station

There are many waterfront restaurants overlooking Salem harbor, most of them specializing in fresh seafood - as I am rather picky (!), we chose to eat at Victoria Station as there were other items on the menu besides seafood. We ate outside on the patio and really enjoyed the lazy, friendly atmosphere of the harbor and the restaurant. If you happen to be there on a rainy day, you'll probably enjoy the rather unique interior decor as well - everything (menu included) is inspired by the British railroad system - hence the name of the restaurant, of course!

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

Rockafella's Restaurant: A restaurant with entertainment.

Walking Mall beside Rockafella's

This was our first time here. Atmosphere was really nice, but we went there early. The band wouldn't be playing until after 9 p.m. so next time, we'll go down just for drinks, appertizers and to hear the band. They have Jazz or Blues bands and local guarists, etc. play there on different nights during the week and weekends.

Seating was comfortable and decorating was nice.

But...

Favorite Dish: We were not as impressed with the food. I did enjoy the flavor of my Stuffed chicken breast with Godda cheese & spinach with sundried cranberries. There were also various kinds of potatoes pieces & parsley scattered about the plate for color . The chicken was delicious but some of the potatoes were hard. I thought it was at the most very good, but VERY expensive for what it was: A CHICKEN DISH.

My husband was very UNHAPPY with what he got. Crab stuffed Shrimp. The stuffing was soggy and the shrimp was rubbery to okay, but not worth the price either.

Well, we probably won't go back to dinner, but will try it again for the entertainment some night.

Edgewater Cafe: Ole` for Mexican

Edgewater Cafe

This was my first visit and I 'm sure there'll be many more, altho without my Hubby. He doesn't like Mexican food much at all, but since it was my birthday, he took me there for my celebration.

The decor inside could use some updating and the booths are rather small if more than two people are sitting at your table. BUT the food and the service were great! I'm looking forward to trying another dish on my next visit.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Chimichangas - Tender chunks of chicken and Jack cheese in a fried flour tortilla topped with their special sauce.

This is what I had for my B'day dinner and it was wonderful!

Victoria Station: Victoria Station on Pickering Wharf

by RhondaRuth Updated Apr 4, 2011

Take in the veiw before or after dinner.

Other than the Rockmore, my other favorite is Victoria Station. It's on Pickering Wharf and you can eat inside or out on the patio. Food is great!

Favorite Dish: Seafood, seafood, seafood, frozen-margaritas! Oh ya ... that's a drink! Love the fish n' chips or my very favorite: the Station Burger.

• Tracyden's Profile Photo

Gulu-Gulu Cafe: Lovely fresh food in a pub like atmosphere

by Tracyden Written Mar 25, 2011

This place looks tiny from the outside but is massive when you enter it - a bit of a tardis.

Reasonably priced with good service we enjoyed a lovely lunch.

There was a choice of two veggie homemade soup of the day - tomato and feta - and butternut squash. I had a veggie meditterrean wrap with houmous and veg. excellent

Favorite Dish: The Mac and cheese for once didn't contain bacon or ham - hurrah and it was made with goats cheese - yummy and different.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Gulu Gulu!: What more can you say?

by garridogal Written Nov 1, 2009

I had lunch here before checking out Essex street and the museum. I was lucky to be able to sit outside and enjoy the weather, my lunch and the company. The restaurant's in a great location on the square where the Bewitched statue is. (Why I didn't get a photo of that I may never know!)

Favorite Dish: They have a pretty basic menu of sandwiches and salads - your basic lunch time fare. I had a pressed panini with mozzarella, tomatoes and pesto and my friends all had roll-up sandwiches. Everything was good. Nothing was extraordinary but nothing was bad either!

Finz: Drinks and Snacks with a View

by cjg1 Updated Sep 9, 2009

Finz is our favorite place to enjoy some drinks and have a snack while looking out on the wharf. Finz has an indoor dining room as well as an outdoor patio overlooking the Wharf. We've never done a "real" meal here just drinks and appetizers on the patio. The appetizers here are very good and we have enjoyed several:mussels, hummus, crab cakes and their guacamole with crab meat. The food is very good and I enjoy being outside on a nice summer day. The service here is very good even though the place is usualy packed (we waited 10 minutes for an outdoor seat last time).

Our last visit here was after we visited the House of the Seven Gables and were in need of a drink and a bite to eat. The weather was nice and sunny with a nice breeze. We were able to enjoy ourguacamole and crab cakes with a nice beer for me and a Raspberry Martini for Liz. I was a nice wasy to relax and recharge with a beautiful water view.

Favorite Dish: The guacamole is one of my favorite here with some tasty crab meat. The tortilla chips are very good and crispy.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Salem Beer Wroks: average food

by shohman Written Jul 25, 2009

I'd heard good things about beerworks. They brew several of their own beers and have quite a varied menu. Sandwiches, steaks, pizzas, salads, seafood. Actually, they have TOO much in my opinion. I didn't try the beers, but chose a chicken pesto sandwich. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. The rest of my family had similar comments on their food.
    Our waiter did seem a bit spacey, forgetting drinks and it seemed to us he just didn't want to be bothered.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken pesto, it was just ok.

Reds Sandwich Shop: THE BIGGEST PANCAKE HAMMY HAS EVER SEEN

by moiraistyx Updated Jul 18, 2009

Hammy and his pancake

After walking around for a couple of hours, the boys were all starving. Richie and I weren't very hungry and wanted to save our cash for a nice seafood place. Little did we know when we were reading the menu for Reds that we were gonna eat cheap and eat well. From the outside this place looks tiny, but once you step through the doors you see that it is really big with a lot of seating.

Richie and I decided to split a turkey wrap, Sebastian and Gryphon got burgers and Hammy got a chocolate chip pancake. When our wrap came we were in shock. Each section of the wrap was the size of a wrap we would get normally, about 6 inches long. I had to use both hands to pick up my wrap and eat it. That wasn't the biggest food that was served. When Hammy's pancake came we all laughed. The pancake was so huge it hung over the sides of the plate. The waitress had asked us when we ordered if we wanted the stack or one, luckily we said one. The full order comes with 3 pancakes all the size of the one Hammy got. Needless to say, Hammy barely ate a quarter of the pancake, maybe an 8th if we had to stretch it.

Favorite Dish: Hammy's chocolate chip pancake.

Instant Answers: Salem

Comments

Salem Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Salem restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Salem sightseeing.