Salem Restaurants

Nice Waterfront View(9/2013)
    by cjg1

Most Recent Restaurants in Salem

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Gulu Gulu!: What more can you say?

by garridogal Written Nov 1, 2009

I had lunch here before checking out Essex street and the museum. I was lucky to be able to sit outside and enjoy the weather, my lunch and the company. The restaurant's in a great location on the square where the Bewitched statue is. (Why I didn't get a photo of that I may never know!)

Favorite Dish: They have a pretty basic menu of sandwiches and salads - your basic lunch time fare. I had a pressed panini with mozzarella, tomatoes and pesto and my friends all had roll-up sandwiches. Everything was good. Nothing was extraordinary but nothing was bad either!

Finz: Drinks and Snacks with a View

by cjg1 Updated Sep 9, 2009

Finz is our favorite place to enjoy some drinks and have a snack while looking out on the wharf. Finz has an indoor dining room as well as an outdoor patio overlooking the Wharf. We've never done a "real" meal here just drinks and appetizers on the patio. The appetizers here are very good and we have enjoyed several:mussels, hummus, crab cakes and their guacamole with crab meat. The food is very good and I enjoy being outside on a nice summer day. The service here is very good even though the place is usualy packed (we waited 10 minutes for an outdoor seat last time).

Our last visit here was after we visited the House of the Seven Gables and were in need of a drink and a bite to eat. The weather was nice and sunny with a nice breeze. We were able to enjoy ourguacamole and crab cakes with a nice beer for me and a Raspberry Martini for Liz. I was a nice wasy to relax and recharge with a beautiful water view.

Favorite Dish: The guacamole is one of my favorite here with some tasty crab meat. The tortilla chips are very good and crispy.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Salem Beer Wroks: average food

by shohman Written Jul 25, 2009

I'd heard good things about beerworks. They brew several of their own beers and have quite a varied menu. Sandwiches, steaks, pizzas, salads, seafood. Actually, they have TOO much in my opinion. I didn't try the beers, but chose a chicken pesto sandwich. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. The rest of my family had similar comments on their food.
    Our waiter did seem a bit spacey, forgetting drinks and it seemed to us he just didn't want to be bothered.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken pesto, it was just ok.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

Reds Sandwich Shop: THE BIGGEST PANCAKE HAMMY HAS EVER SEEN

by moiraistyx Updated Jul 18, 2009

After walking around for a couple of hours, the boys were all starving. Richie and I weren't very hungry and wanted to save our cash for a nice seafood place. Little did we know when we were reading the menu for Reds that we were gonna eat cheap and eat well. From the outside this place looks tiny, but once you step through the doors you see that it is really big with a lot of seating.

Richie and I decided to split a turkey wrap, Sebastian and Gryphon got burgers and Hammy got a chocolate chip pancake. When our wrap came we were in shock. Each section of the wrap was the size of a wrap we would get normally, about 6 inches long. I had to use both hands to pick up my wrap and eat it. That wasn't the biggest food that was served. When Hammy's pancake came we all laughed. The pancake was so huge it hung over the sides of the plate. The waitress had asked us when we ordered if we wanted the stack or one, luckily we said one. The full order comes with 3 pancakes all the size of the one Hammy got. Needless to say, Hammy barely ate a quarter of the pancake, maybe an 8th if we had to stretch it.

Favorite Dish: Hammy's chocolate chip pancake.

Hammy and his pancake half a turkey wrap

• Bella Verona: Italian Food

by danastasi Written Jun 18, 2009

I have had dinner at this restaurant on different occasions and all experiences have been good. I recently invited family to dine at this restaurant and was never more embarassed in my life. The service was not good at all. Actually, the server delivered the meals and that was it!!!! He was tipped according to his service. As we left the restaurant, he came out chasing us to ask why we had given him the tip that we had. If I was owner of this restaurant, this gentleman would no longer have a job. Come to find out, the owner is in Italy on holiday. He will hear from us when he returns!

• The Gulu-Gulu Cafe: A sad Goodbye

by petulantleporid Updated May 30, 2009

The FoolYou FoolYou Cafe

i'd like to start off with a big shout out to most of the staff at the cafe. Whether you sit at the bar or are being helped by one of the servers, you're 90% guaranteed a memorable and enjoyable serving experience. They're quite an attractive group of people as well, which helps.
    The Gulu-Gulu is aesthetically pleasing as well, with a satisfying color scheme and a welcoming open ambience. Everything from the ornate light fixtures to the humorous collection of action figures tickles the fancy of patrons, and the owner's boston terriers are present in several decorations.
    Unfortunately, this is where the positive review ends. The servers and the barstaff, combined with an amazing artistic atmosphere cannot save the cafe alone.
    Over the course of several visits, the quality and quantity of the food varied disappointingly. The crepes, while a novel choice at first, soon lost their novelty when lack of portion control made it impossible to predict the flavor of any particular crepe from visit to visit. This held true for both savory and sweet crepes. The sandwiches boast a variety of european flavors, which is true only so far as what goes into them. Again, poor portion management and what i could only surmise was unfamiliarity with ingredients tended to yield substandard panini sandwiches, even inedible ones in some cases. On one occasion, i ordered the istanbul, a common favorite at the cafe. On receiving my order, i found that the drastic amount of pesto in the sandwich rendered it disgusting. i offered it up to the rest of the table, where it was refused after a single bite by three other long time gulu patrons. The strange thing is, i saw this food prepared, and it used literally the freshest ingredients (save the pesto). I looked to the kitchen and realized my favorite cook, a young lady with long blonde hair, was not present that day. i apologized to my friends, and chalked it up to a bad day at the gulu.
    But these "bad days" have been becoming more frequent lately. I recently tried the mac n' cheese, a favorite of mine at most restaurants. What i got from my server (Danny, the blonde server in the red sox cap - again, excellent service and a great attitude) was appalling. It looked like... well, it looked like bad leftovers. It had obviously been prepared some days before and stored cold before being roughly heated. The macaroni varied greatly over the course of the plate, (which i couldn't bring myself to finish), in both heat and texture. some was cold, still bearing the condensation of oils and water we all became familiar with as children in public school cafeterias. Other parts were hot, and had obviously been burned and mistreated, having gone over wholly to the consistency of plastic. The sauce was weak and bland, bearing a strong resemblance to italian flavored skinned tomatoes from a tin can. And despite the overwhelming amount of mac, and the wonderful variety of cheeses the gulu boasts, there was to be little to no cheese present in this abomination. just cold macaroni and a feeling of being cheated.
    This all came to a head recently when a good friend of mine came storming out of the gulu today as i was about to enter. He was furiously lighting a cigarette and cursing, so i asked him what the matter was. He explained that he had just seen a prep cook, while in the middle of making crepes, pick something up off the floor mats ungloved , throw it away, and continue to make crepes and prepare dishes which were being given to customers. He said he had told a favorite bartender of ours of the transgression and walked out on his order. I simply chose not to enter.
    So i guess i shall reluctantly say goodbye to you, gulu gulu. Just a year ago, you were a warm, inviting, and cozy niche for the artistic in salem. Now, not even your brilliant staff can save you from the atrocities you have committed against food service.

• Beer Tasting

Nathaniel's: Great Breakfast

by cjg1 Updated May 15, 2009

This was a great place to have breakfast and I am really happy Liz suggested it. A bit up end in appearance but not very in price. I could see by the decor why Liz loves this place, it just screams her style. This is the restaurant to the Hawthorne Hotel and they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have a variety of tables available from those for 2 up to 8 or 10. A few of each. Was funny when we left to see they seated two quests at a round table for 8 as that is all that was available.

The menus had a nice selection of breakfast items so it was hard for me to choose. I finally decided on the Seafood Benedict and some Orange Juice. Liz went with the pancakes and a cappucino. Our waitress was very nice and attentive despite they had her running around between two dining rooms.

Favorite Dish: I had the Seafood Benedict and I loved it. One of the most amazing breakfasts I've ever had.

Eggs Benedict July 5, 2008 Liz waiting for her breakfast Pancakes Cappucino

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Salem Beer Works: A little ale to wash it down!!

by Pawtuxet Updated Jan 27, 2009

There is a little brew-pub in Salem where we usually land for giant burgers and a taste of dark beer after we've walked our feet off. It's the kind of place where families feel comfortable as do the "guys" who stop in to the bar for a beer and the ball game. Their burgers are great, but also have 3 or 4 flavors of fries...good chili...fried onion rings...and many other delights.
    The call it "Bold American Food"
    NEW ENGLAND'S OLDEST & LARGEST RESTAURANT BREWERY

pic borrowed from their web site
    • Beer Tasting

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Four 66-Not on the Famed Route

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 27, 2008

Local restaurant that is like a pub feel, but has middle of the road decor and style. The waitresses are friendly and attend to your needs. I think it gets crowded on weekends, and during the week after 6:00Pm you may have to wait.

Favorite Dish: I had sausage and potato dinner. It was great and the flavor of the sausage was some of the best I have had. Two huge sausages let me have the opportunity to take half back to the motel to eat another time. Bread basket and salad is served first. I also had clam chowder, and it was different tasting. The base was almost like a cheese base, and thick. I would say that it was one of the best I have eaten. Total for the sausage was $10, and the chowder was $3, both very reasonable.

Road view of the restaurant Sign in lot

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Ponte Vecchio: Old Italian Flavor

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 18, 2008

The prices were in the upper range for what you got, and the antipasta prices were too high.

Favorite Dish: The Italian pasta dish was flavorful and mixed with seafood. I was overall thinking this would be a place offering more in substance and plentiful. It is like a boutique Italian upscale place to eat.

Front of restaurant in shopping center

• jurisfiction's Profile Photo

Red's Sandwich Shop: Where locals meet to eat

by jurisfiction Written Aug 31, 2008

This place is just awesome. Located in the old London Coffee House building (where patriots hung out to diss England) it's popular with locals and tourists alike. It's got a homey dinner type feel, the waitstaff is friendly and attentive, and the food is great. Add the never ending coffee, and the low prices, and it's one of the best bets in town.

We liked this place so much we ate there twice in three days. Despite the fact that we had vouchers for free breakfast at the Hawthorne Hotel.

Open for breakfast and lunch only.

Favorite Dish: The omlettes are amazing, and there are many different kinds on the menu. No word of a lie, there are huge chunks of whatever "stuffings" you pick. Comes with home fries and toast - and most likely, you won't be able to eat it all.

I didnt have the pancakes, but someone at the table next to me did. And they were as big and round as the plate.

• Study Abroad

Bay Bridge Restaurant And Nightclub: Don't waste the time nor money here

by cjg1 Written Jul 9, 2008

This place was bad. We came strictly because it was an idine and we were checking them out. Sadly this one left us disappointed.

Favorite Dish: My taco salad was horrible. It was little more than any old salad dumped in a taco bowl and meat and salsa poured upon it.

I ate about half of it strictly because I was hungry but rest assured I will not come back again.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

SALEM BEER WORKS: SALEM'S OWN LOCAL BREWERY

by LoriPori Written Oct 3, 2007

As we were all getting hungry, we headed to the SALEM BEER WORKS for lunch. There were ten of us all together - Hans & I, Chris, Ed, Jenny, Melanie, Angie, Emily, John and Steve.
    Salem Beer Works has 16+ beers on tap, 20+ wines by the glass, and 80+ menu items.
    Hans and I had the Nor'Easter Classic Burger with fries ($9.95) and a side of Mozzarella Sticks ($6.25) and iced tea. The Burger was HUGE and delicious.

Salem Beer Works

• LexiB's Profile Photo

The Witches Brew: Do not go here unless you are very hungry. . .

by LexiB Updated Mar 17, 2007

After walking around Salem, we decided to grab a bite to eat at this establishment. When we walked in, the ambience was very nice. . .the food was lacking. The French Onion soup had a sour taste to it. The french fries were, so-so. There wasn't a lot of customers (which should've tipped us off) and the staff was a bit rude.

• Salem Beer Works: Great Food, Great Beer

by peach93 Updated Mar 5, 2007

The Salem Beer Works is owned by the same people who run The Boston Beer Works near Fenway Park and the BankNorth Garden. They make all of their own beer on the premises and give the brews geographically appropriate names like "Witch City Red" and "North Shore Light". The Beer Works' food is very good, especially for pub food. They have a lot seafood and salads on the menu along with the usual burgers and fries. They also make some really good bar pizzas and have a children's menu.

The bar at the Beer Works is huge, and fun to sit at. Note that the place gets especially crowded on weekend nights thanks to the students from nearby Salem State College.

Favorite Dish: If you eat here you have to get the sweet potato french fries with raspberry vinegar. They are sooo good. I also really like the lobster roll. Be sure to also check to see what type of seafood they have fresh on the day that you're there. They usually have something pretty good. Besides beer, the restaurant also serves wine which I have been known to get on occasion as well because too much beer makes me too full to eat!

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Salem

Comments

Salem Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Salem restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Salem sightseeing.