Salem Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Salem

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Wynotts Wands -"Makers of fine wands since 1692": Gifts for fans of Harry Potter

by CEP1863 Written Oct 27, 2013
    Wynotts -

I came across this shop when I first started to explore Salem. The layout inside the store was incredibly creative, exactly how I would have pictured a wand shop to be! I returned towards the end of my trip in order to purchase a wand as a gift for someone.

The owner of the store actually works there and I find that this makes for a much better buying experience. He was a really nice gentleman who took time with me and told me some of the history of the store which I found to be fascinating. My gift was beautifully packaged and I left the shop a satisfied customer.

Definitely a shop worth visiting especially if you have children with you.

What to buy: Wands of all colours, shapes and sizes.

What to pay: Wands started at $19.99 and come beautifully gift wrapped.

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

The Barking Cat: Good pet gifts

by CEP1863 Written Oct 26, 2013
    The Barking Cat

As a pet owner I find myself often having to take some form of bribe home in an attempt to apologise for my absence. The name of this shop attracted my attention and when I ventured inside I was amazed at the array of items for both dogs and cats. The owner served me and he was a really nice guy to chat and pass some time with. We chatted about Salem itself and also the surrounding area and I soon had an itinery planned out for the rest of my trip with some really good recommendations of places to see and stay.

If I ever return to Salem in the future I would definitely head back to this shop. The levels of customer service were brilliant. I just hope that my bribes work and I'm quickly forgiven by my boys!

Open Tuesdays through to Sundays, closed on Monday.

What to buy: Good range of products for both cats and dogs in terms of foods, toys and general care.

What to pay: There is something for all budgets here.

Trolley Depot: Souveniers Galore

by cjg1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Trolley Depot is where you can purchase Newport Trolley tickets or grab a souvenier. They have a nice selction of tshirts, postcards and other Salem themed items to choose from.

What to buy: We bought a postcard to send to Nathalie B.

What to pay: The postcard was seventy five cents.

• kazander's Profile Photo

West India Goods Store: Interesting Wares

by kazander Updated Apr 4, 2011

West India Goods Store

Not far from the water, the West India Goods Store used to be one of many stores in Salem that cariied goods from far and near. The store was built around the year 1800, and is now one of the last early stores in New England.
    All of the items that they carry are somewhat representative of the wares they carried back in the day. A portion of the money from any purchases go to the national Park Service, Salem Maritime National Historic Site

What to buy: I bought a bag of loose chamomile tea for $1.25 and some peppermint molasses candy.

• Architecture

• ObsessedWithSalem's Profile Photo

The Broom Closet: The Best Halloween Incense

by ObsessedWithSalem Updated Apr 4, 2011

A Shopping Paradise!

The Broom Closet is a great store that has both gifts and supplies. There is plenty of room to look at everything. This store is located by many other interesting stores and is also just up the street from Reds which is a great place to eat!!

What to buy: This is the only store that I have found that has actual Halloween incense. It is only $1.97 and smells wonderful I have already had to order more on the internet!! This store also carries writing inks, seal stamps and wax, spell candles, and unique gift items. Dont miss this store!!

What to pay: $5.00 and up

• Religious Travel

The Magic Store: Magic Tricks, Gargoyles and Skeletons

by moiraistyx Updated Jul 22, 2009

This was my and Richie's near favorite store in Salem. I had a good laugh looking at the skeleton scrubbing the floor. There is wide assortment of items in this store ranging from magic tricks to costumes. Richie really enjoy the gargoyles near the back of the store. I picked up a couple of ankles bracelets for myself one with Richie's zodiac sign on it the other with mine. I also got Patrick a bracelet with his zodiac sign. The boys all got some skull rings and even grabbed one for Patrick.

What to buy: just about anything

What to pay: items are anywhere from a dollar to a couple hundred

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

40 Whiacks: Lizzie Borden took a what?

by moiraistyx Updated Jul 22, 2009

I never would have thought that someone would have felt it necessary to dedicate an entire museum and gift store to the story of Lizzie Borden, but alas somebody has and apparently people pay the $10 entry fee to see it. We made a quick stop into the gift shop. I have to admit that the little ax charms for a necklace or a charm bracelet were really cute, but who really needs a Lizzie Borden coffee cup. Sebastian and the boys hadn't heard the rhyme yet so of course I enlightened them, then they proceeded to read it about 100 times in the 10 minutes that we were browsing the store. In my opinion save your money and go stay at the bed and breakfast that is now located in her home.

What to buy: Ax charm

What to pay: $3

The Salem Witch History Museum Gift Shop: All Sorts of Gift Items

by moiraistyx Updated Jul 22, 2009

I really didn't like this gift store very much, mostly because the majority of the items its was selling had nothing to do with witch history at all. Instead the shop was filled with mass produced items that I've seen in my local mall for a much cheaper price. As a matter of fact Richie had bought one of the sun mirrors at the Ren Faire many years ago. There were a few items that had to do with actual witch history but they weren't a good value for the money they were asking for them.

The Trolley Depot: Some Funny Skeletons

by moiraistyx Updated Jul 22, 2009

I really enjoyed this store, mostly because of some of the funny gift items that they had. I laughed at the B movie victims dolls and fell in love with the skeleton wedding couple. They also had a great selection of other skeleton dolls which were really cute and humorous. If you like Halloween they have a decent selection of blown glass ornaments. This store also has the usual Salem souvenirs and collectibles.

What to buy: Horrified B Movie Victims doll set

What to pay: ??????????

Goddess' Treasure Chest: Interesting antiques and nice smelling items

by moiraistyx Updated Jul 22, 2009

This was a cute little store located in the Salem Museum Mall. There are a combination of antiques and little gift items. I didn't buy anything in here mostly cause the incense was so strong I couldn't stay long. They did have a nice assortment of beaded necklaces and other jewelry items.

What to buy: Antiques

What to pay: ????

Lotus Gifts: Souvenires, Unique Gifts and Some Oddities

by moiraistyx Written Jul 20, 2009

This is a collection of oddities, souvenirs and some unique items. There is something here for everyone, young and old alike. The boys really enjoyed the cat in the window that waved.

What to buy: What you like

What to pay: ?????

Witch's Tees: Cheap T-Shirts and Hoodies

by moiraistyx Written Jul 20, 2009

Richie and the boys shopping

This was one of the cheaper places to buy a shirt in Salem. Through out the store one could find several t-shirts for under $10, many for $5. We were going to go back to buy some shirts, but the boys got tired so we went home.

What to buy: t-shirts

What to pay: $10 or less

Salem's Vintage Photography: Vintage Photos

Sebastian

Salem's Vintage Photography is one of those photography shops that dress you up in fancy costumes and then take your picture. It's pretty pricey if you actually buy the photos. We were smart and paid the sitting fee for the two boys then bought the disc along with the photo release. Otherwise you are stuck with the package you order which is really pricey and the inability to make any copies.

Sebastian had a great time posing as a wizard. Hammy and Sebastian both looked terrified as they posed as pirates trying to steal each other's treasure. They were cute. We kept trying to get Gryphon to join in but he just wasn't having it.

What to buy: The best buy is the complete disc for $39.99.

What to pay: $4.95 per person sitting fee then whatever package you want

Museum Place Mall: Souveniers & more

by cjg1 Updated Jan 5, 2009

Museum Place Mall has a variety of shops, a deli, bagel cafe and a movie theatre. The bagel place is rather good and has some interesting bafgels and spreads such as Assiago Bagels. The shops carry the run of the mill Salem souveniers and well as a photography studio where you can dres up as a pirate or a witch.

Salemdipity: Halloween and Christmas Items

by cjg1 Updated Jan 5, 2009

Salemdipity was an interesting store. They had an assortment of Salem souveniers such as tee shirts, post cards, Halloween decorations and witchy items. I was surprised to see they had a large selction of Christmas items and decorations. The decorations were very cute and some had a witch theme.

Instant Answers: Salem

Comments

Salem Shopping

Reviews and photos of Salem shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Salem sightseeing.