Springfield Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Springfield

• AlexisAgile's Profile Photo

GRIMY!

by AlexisAgile Updated Nov 25, 2011

I go to school at a small private university there and it is the worst place I have ever lived!

A lot of the stores and buildings are very old and brown and look like they haven't been updated for decades! The city is very dangerous and seems to be filled with homeless people milling about. The place looks very abandoned in the city even during the day and it's also so dirty! No nice looking places at all barely.

Generally a big black community. (And I am black before anyone yells out that I am putting a stereotype to it. These are the facts. I see 80% blacks.)

There are many gay clubs there so this is a plus for the LGBT community but very little to do for teens or anyone under 21. People also really like to start fights at clubs which has ended in all too many murders. If you get hit by a car do NOT get out. They will shoot you. Just keep driving...
    There are also a lot of senior citizens in the city.

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER walk alone at night in that place. For lack of a car I have had to do so several times with my roommate and it was a very terrible experience. I've heard of other people having homeless people chase them at night.

This will be my one and only year living here guaranteed.

*They also loveee to horn their cars at attractive girls when driving by which isn't exactly a downside to our egos :)

*Definitely would not recommend this place for anyone with a family wanting their children to grow up in a safe friendly environment...

I'm not sure about bus fare prices other places but it's only $1.25 to ride so that is a great plus and way to save money since gas can be quite expensive.

• Singles
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Seniors

• Crime has fallen considerably in Springfield

by JJ1988 Updated May 3, 2011

The reality of Springfield's "crime" is much less scary than than the city's (fading) reputation for it -- especially at the time of writing, 2011.

In researching my trip to Springfield, I looked it up. It is true that in 2003, Springfield ranked as the 18th most dangerous city in the United States, next to Miami, Florida, and Compton, California.

Today, Springfield ranks 51st, next to innocuous South Bend, Indiana, and Canton, Ohio.

Springfield's drop in crime has been one of the most dramatic in the United States, although its reputation seems to be lagging behind somewhat (based on the older posts here.)

Be aware that Springfield's sister cities, Hartford, Connecticut and New Haven, Connecticut still rank #19 and #18, respectively -- and in my opinion, during my visit, they were both obviously more menacing places than Springfield.

Gay and Lesbian travelers can feel particularly safe in Springfield. The town has at least 6 or 7 gay nightclubs in the Entertainment District around Worthington Street. I traveled with a gay couple who held hands while walking through the streets and never once drew a rude comment or even a stare.

• Women's Travel
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Seniors

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Undesirables are About

by cjg1 Written Apr 7, 2009

We have stayed in Springfield enough to know there is a certain element about. Numerous homeless people and others that look like they are on something are roaming about both in the day and night hours. It's best to keep alert and avoid the dark and dim side streets when walking about at night.

Instant Answers: Springfield

Comments

Springfield Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Springfield warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Springfield sightseeing.