Benton Harbor Travel Guide

• Huge hole in the bed! Room 119 I believe.
    Huge hole in the bed! Room 119 I...
    by l3stewar
    stain on the sheets...awful.
    by l3stewar
  • ANOTHER DAY COMES TO AN END BY LAKE MICHIGAN
    ANOTHER DAY COMES TO AN END BY LAKE...
    by Rich62

Benton Harbor Things to Do

• Phlebas2's Profile Photo

by Phlebas2 Updated Apr 17, 2006

Not a lot of excitement compared to the Benton Harbor I remember from the 60's and 70's. 60's meant lots of shopping opportumites,
    70's was a good place to gawk at the decay. All the industry is prety much gone, so are the stores, and most signs of its former status as a major Michigan West Coast city. Now pretty much all cleaned up and sanitized thanks to Fred Upton and Whirlpool.
    Take a little detour off i-94 and check it out..Its not a bad place to walk around, to the far South and west sides great places to see the lake and channel. Ive never had a problem in this "city" of anykind.
    Contrary to the reports of riots and violence, generally its just a rapidly shrinking low income housing area, with a few remaing pieces of architechure, a struggling "arts" district.
    Occasional skirmishes continue, but generally , sadly, its just poor folk burning their poor neighboorhoods down, so not much of a concern to the visitor. See smoke? Hear sirens? go the oposite direction and get back on the highway.

To the West across Red Arrrow Hwy, the Dunes and Lakeshore area are undergoing a big infux of pricey housing and related businesses. Its going upscale very rapidly thanks to lots of Govt money, enterprize zone status, and of course rich folks who arent going to give up prime waterfront real estate. BH is coming back from the dead to be a "suburb" of its neighbooring sister city St. Joseph.

Be sure to visit THe "House of David" "City of David and Mary" grounds and museum to the east out off M-139 near Blossomland mall
    Its the site of historical interest worth visiting.. NOt very scary of a place at all, I usually find myself there once or twice a month passing trhough, never had a problem.

Wish Michigan City,IN could make a similar recovery.

Benton Harbor Hotels

Benton Harbor Shopping

• Phlebas2's Profile Photo

by Phlebas2 Updated Jul 8, 2008

The Eagle Supermarket was sort the Supermarket in what I conscider the "downtown, near downtown"

It was always a place to stop, and I had hoped the Family $ next door would help make it a viable alternative to crossing the bridge and going to the "evil martin" store.
    ( my second favorite grocery store in the area over in STJ on Napier, finally gave up the goat and is now a Dollar General) which is handy as DG fled their M139 location.

What to buy: The butcher shop, the fresh produce, common grocery staples.. They had all the things I'd have thought that the Uptonities and boaters would need with out crossing the bridge..

What to pay: well, now its gone.. I missed out on visiting to to do a little shopping over the winter months, and its toast last I saw.
    Windows smashed, groceries long gone.. I don't know what happened, but I guess I'll just have to remember to stop at Aldi's at the mall if I need anything when Im in town now. I won't DO Save A lLots in BH out on 139, its a "bad experience" I just hope the failure of the Eagle was realatd to owners, the chain, or an act of god, and not the residents. To me its a real loss to the Downtown area. I just can't seem to really get behind shopping at the corner "shoot and go" corner beer and "grocery" stores North on BUS 94.

• Archeology

Instant Answers: Benton Harbor

Comments

Benton Harbor Travel Guide
Map of Benton Harbor