Birch Run Travel Guide

• It looks good........but it doesn't taste good
    It looks good........but it doesn't...
    by cjg1
    The smile before the dissapointment
    by cjg1
    Liz gives her look of disgust

Birch Run Hotels

Birch Run Restaurants

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

by CdnJane Updated May 8, 2009

Our tour to Michigan was based on 2 things - stopping at places with names we liked, and going to places shown on the Food Network (or that should be on there!). So, when we saw the Oink Joint on the way from Birch Run to Frankenmuth, then we knew it was going to be a stop on our way home!
    It had a neat name, and for nothing else, that had appeal. Then, it was a classic 1950s diner building - that gave it some atmosphere. We walked in and our waitress indicated that smoking seating was on the left and non-smoking to the right. We also had our choice of booth or counter. We chose counter - just seemed appropriate and right. I'd also say that we were the only tourists when we came in, although more came in as we were there (attracted by the thought, I'm sure, that we knew what we were doing there!)
    The menu wasn't too crazy - lots of choices, as well as there being some blackboard specials too. The sign says they are Birch Runs Best Diner and Bar-B-Que. Now, I'm not sure how many diners actually exist in Birch Run so I can't dispute or discuss the fact - just that that's what the sign said!
    In doing a little more research, apparently this used to be Ken's Diner that shut down over a year ago, and then it got re-named the Oink Joint because of a movie it appears in, Whip It! with Drew Barrymore, where it is actually supposed to be in Texas! Anyway, I'm glad we stopped.

Favorite Dish: Steph had the pulled pork sandwich, which looked good and she said was good. A good spice to it. She also had a chocolate malted drink which was amazing! There was about 2 glasses worth, before she was done.
    I had the hot dog & fries with a diet coke. The dog was good - well seasoned, and real cheddar cheese on it. The fries were crisp and not greasy.

chocolate malt Oink Joint

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Written Mar 31, 2009

I had first head of Tony's from a show called, "Sandwich Paradise". The show featured Tony's BLT that is made with an entire pound of bacon. The sandwich looked incredible on TV so I wanted to see and eat it for myself. After a long drive Liz and I pulled up to Tony's. From the outside it looked like your basic truck stop/diner. So with an open mind we entered the place. It was a no frills inside with a seat yourself policy. The menus were printed papers taht were made t look like newspaper and were tossed behind the salt and pepper shakers on the table. Our waitress came over and I ordered a coke, onion rings and the BLT. Liz ordered a grilled cheese and an unsweetened ice tea. She was a bit dissapointed that the only thing listed under soup was "Chili". Since when is Chili a soup? The food came and I could tell immediately Liz was not a happy camper. Her griled cheese was two greasy pieces of thick white bread with four slices of American Cheese thrown in and not melted. She was not eating that and said she wouldn't want a substitute. My BLT was another dissapointment. The bacon was overdone and quite disgusting...How can you ruin bacon? After deciding to call it quits and ask for a check Liz went to the ladies room and a toothless waitress hit on her. We high tailed it out of here and wondered if we had stumpled into some remake of the movie Deliverence.

Do Not Come Here!!!!!!!!

The smile before the dissapointment Liz gives her look of disgust It looked good.... Onion Rings

• Birch Run Hotels

7 Hotels in Birch Run

Instant Answers: Birch Run

Comments

Birch Run Travel Guide
Map of Birch Run