Charlevoix Travel Guide

Mushroom House
    Out to Sea

Charlevoix Things to Do

• Annual Air Fair

2013 marked the 55th annual Charlevoix Art Fair. Held on the 2nd Saturday of August each year you will find a number of booths set up right next to the Harbor and across the street from the main shopping district and main street.Sue and I got separated as we sometimes do when exploring areas. But when we hit an area like this we will set a time and...

• Mushroom Houses

A number of houses in town were designed by architect Earl Young and have been called "mushroom houses" by the locals. The Chamber of Commerce Visitor's Center can provide walking maps providing details about the location of these interesting homes.

• The Lighthouse

A short canal or waterway connects the two lakes. At the Lake Michigan end, a pier or breakwater juts out into the lake with a small lighthouse sitting at the end. Lots of people were strolling on the pier toward the lighthouse which was built in 1911.

• Lake Michigan Beach

One of my most pleasant surprises about Charlevoix and other towns along Lake Michigan was the nice beaches. They are so clean, feature nice fine sand and have accomodations for play and picnicing. Here a group of high school students celebrates the end of the academic year with a day at the beach.

• Lake Charlevoix

As mentioned in my Charlevoix intro, the village sits on two lakes Michigan and Charlevoix. The water front and an adjoining park are located right downtown and are a pleasant place for a stroll.

• Visit Harbor Springs, it's...

Visit Harbor Springs, it's only a short drive and it's beautiful! Water, trees, rolling hills, shops, dining and it's a world away from everything!

Charlevoix Hotels

Charlevoix Restaurants

• Internet café with lots of choice

The Woolly Bugger first caught my eye as, for any Brits reading this, it sounds like some sort of dubious homosexual mating position (not the reason for entering the café I hasten to add). On entering the café you actually find out that the name comes from a fishing lure, which I think is meant to be 'The Woolly Booger', anyway, there are various...

• Great sandwiches

We found this little gem of a cafe along one of the side streets after a stroll through one of the town's old neighborhoods. We ate outside because we had our dog with us, and the waitress brought a doggy bowl with water. After eating, I looked inside to find the dining rooms to be quite nice, as well. Smoke free!! I had the best reuben sandwich I...

• Charlevoix Hotels

9 Hotels in Charlevoix

32 Reviews and Opinions

Charlevoix Nightlife

• rossandkelli's Profile Photo

by rossandkelli Written Oct 4, 2002

Honestly we go to one bar all the time but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it! It is on the main street and it has 3 levels. If you stand by the marina and look across the street (and up) you will see a restaurant with a balcony (it's enclosed though). It's a blast.

Charlevoix Shopping

• basstbn's Profile Photo

by basstbn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fudge shops can be found in many of the towns in northern Michigan, and Murdick's is the kingpin of these. One of their older shops is located in Charlevoix.

What to buy: Fudge - lots of varieties available, but stay with the basic.

Charlevoix Local Customs

• basstbn's Profile Photo

by basstbn Written Jun 27, 2005

Nancy and I spent several minutes walking through one of the older neighborhoods close to downtown and the beachfront. We enjoyed many of the fine old homes (many of them made of stone) and the beautiful flowers. This was a typical home and landscaping.

Charlevoix Favorites

• rossandkelli's Profile Photo

by rossandkelli Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Shop!!!!!

Go to the marina and take a sailboat ride in Lake Charlevoix, it's beautiful!

Fondest memory: Meeting up with our friends Rick and Elene who have a catamaran and going sailing on Lake Charlevoix. We sailed and then anchored, ate lunch and had a cocktail then went for a swim. Oh, it was heaven! The water is very clear (wonderfully different from the ocean because it is fresh water) so we went for a swim beneath the yacht, between the hulls and with the white bottom of the boat and the clear water it glistened a radiant blue. I'll never forget it! Then on the way back to port we laid on the trampolines and hung out over the front watching the waves crash against the boat. *Sigh*

Instant Answers: Charlevoix

Comments

Explore Deeper into Charlevoix
Map of Charlevoix