Know about this? Rate It!
Just a short distance up Jefferson Avenue from the RenCen is Belle Isle, a large (700 acre) city park and island in the Detroit River. (It's an island but accessible by road.) It contains many recreational options including:
- golf driving range and 9-hole course
- swimming beach (if swimming in the Detroit River doesn't sound appealing to you, consider that some of the city's drinking water comes from this same area)
- America's oldest freshwater aquarium
- botanical garden
- Great Lakes Museum ("World's largest collection of scale-model Great Lakes ships")
- Nature center and nature trails
- tennis courts, soccer fields & baseball diamonds
- picnic areas
There is a zoo as well but it is currently (2003) closed due to budget constraints. The main Detroit Zoo is still open, however.
- Road Trip
- Family Travel
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Detroit Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Rajkot Hotels
- Ilfracombe Hotels
- Bali Hotels
- Muridke Hotels
- Watkins Glen
- Xorazm Viloyati
- Green Bay Off The Beaten Path
- Republic of Montenegro Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Michaels Off The Beaten Path
- Southend-on-Sea Off The Beaten Path
- United States of America Off The Beaten Path
- Negeri Perak Off The Beaten Path
- Conil de la Frontera Off The Beaten Path
- Paso Robles Off The Beaten Path
- Dinan Off The Beaten Path
- Linea verde
- River Spree, Wannsee and Havel Lakes
- Nin Off The Beaten Path