Know about this? Rate It!
This is one surreal place.
The area is not to far from downtown and pretty rundown. OK, VERY rundown if you aren’t from Detroit. In the midst of it all you come onto this street where the houses have been modified by a local street artist.
Years ago the city tried to clear it all out but it came back again. Now it is run by a non-profit that is trying to stop the decay and teach children about art.
“I like to take that which is dead (cast aside, thrown away) and put life back in it by adding colors and shapes and making it speak back to the world."
Tyree Guyton (artist)
Whether you enjoy this sort of art or not is pretty powerful to see.
To get here, head north on Gratiot from downtown. Heidelberg Street will be on the left.
- Budget Travel
- Arts and Culture
Deterioration to decoration (with meaning)
This ever changing art project started as a man who wanted to help beautify his community. It has not only grown to be a master piece of community art, but has developed into a community-based non-profit organization that empowers people through art.
I75 --> Jefferson East --> Left on Mt. Elliot --> Left on Heidelberg
Just add polka dots.
- Arts and Culture
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Detroit Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Ohio Hotels
- Otok Lopud Hotels
- Protaras Hotels
- Margarita Island Hotels
- Florida City
- La Morra
- Sanibel Island Off The Beaten Path
- State of Andhra Pradesh Off The Beaten Path
- Amarante Off The Beaten Path
- Montpellier Off The Beaten Path
- Orvieto Off The Beaten Path
- Iffley Road
- Oxford Off The Beaten Path
- Aix-en-Provence Off The Beaten Path
- Bisbee Off The Beaten Path
- Barcelos Off The Beaten Path