Places to eat in Detroit

Most Viewed Restaurants in Detroit

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Waterworks Bar and Grill: Bar and Grill at Detroit Metro Airport

by machomikemd Written Nov 21, 2013

having a long layover means hanging out and if you are tired of surfing the net on your smartphone, then the next best thing is to hang around and have a brewskie or two and there are many choices in the Detroit Airport and one of them is the Waterworks Bar and Grill, located at the Mc Namara Terminal. It is open 24/7

they have assorted grill items, sandwiches, bar chows, pastas and more available but at airport prices.

Favorite Dish: they have many brewskies available like:

DOMESTICS
    Amber Bock, Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Light, Michelob Ultra Light, O'Douls Non-Alcoholic,
    Sam Adams, Yuengling

IMPORTS
    Amstel Light, Corona, Corona Light, Guiness, Heineken, Negra Modelo, Sierra Nevada, Stella Artois

and a glass of draft beer will cost $ 9 for international and $ 8 for domestic beers.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• atufft's Profile Photo

Golden Fleece: Greek Town Fast Food

by atufft Written Nov 17, 2011

Detroit has few street vendors, at least during November, but because I was walking my dog, I needed a "to go" order from a decent restaurant. A doorman recommended the Golden Fleece, and I noticed on the receipt that the restaurant was vote #1 for Gyros and shish Kebob every year since 1972.

So, I stopped at the Golden Fleece, opened the front door a crack and asked the waiter to come outside and take my order. The menu is posted in the window, so it was easy order, and very soon the waiter returned with my order in bags.

I ordered a Gyro and a appetizer of Greek caviar w/bread. Then, I struggled to find a bench in the sunlight or other place to gobble down my food. Naturally, the dog got a few scraps of my Gyro, which was otherwise very good. The caviar was disappointing, and the sliced bread useless. Overall, I was too hungry to take a photo of my food like I usually do, being as I was eating on the street in the cold. Detroit needs more wind protected places to eat downtown.

Golden Fleece, Greek Town, Detroit

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Grand Trunk Pub: Grand Trunk Pub - Fun Bar

by littlesam1 Written Sep 17, 2011

We really enjoyed The Grank Trunk Pub. Its located in a historic building in downtown Detroit. The building was originally The Grand Trunk Railroad Ticket Station. The building has been renovated back to represent its origins in the early 1900's. They have a large selection of craft beers and local micro brews. The building has 25 foot high vaulted ceilings, beautiful chandeliers and brick walls. The staff is extremely friendly. I even got to compare tattoos with the the lady who tended bar. But once again we found the place to be not busy and void of tourists or locals.

25 ft ceiling in Grand Trunk Pub Friendly staff - we compared tattoos

• ALBEERPOE's Profile Photo

Vince's Italian: A Detroit tradition for 50 years

by ALBEERPOE Updated Jul 5, 2011

I grew up just around the corner and go to Vince's very often for my fix of Detroit's best pizza, pasta and canollis to be found. A sandwich called the pizza bread beefburger is a must try. Vince's is having 50 year specials starting May 20th and I'll be in the house. Well worth a trip to the finest Italian foods in the D.
    This old time Italian restaurant with the little old ladies in the back has been a long time favorite of many Detroiters. many stars have eaten here, Frank Sinatra, Muhammad Ali, Tommy Hearns and the crew of the Rosary Murders filmed at Holy Redeemer along with many famous Catholic church deacons.

Favorite Dish: Since a small child my whole family of 8 has only eaten Vince's pizza along with many pasta items, along with a thing called pizza bread beef burger the best sandwich I've ever eaten.
    My favorite Italian restaurant of all time. What is Italian cooking, I say meals prepared with a whole lot of love, where can you get a mother and daughter team creating the most perfect dishes with homemade pastas and sauces.
    I say bring any in our nation Italian chefs who only supervise a kitchen and the try the magnificent foods at Vince's. They started in there house just behind the current building and expanded in the 50 years of this true homemade foods place.
    I like to get chef Aldo from that chain to throw-down with Maria on who makes the best pasta and sauces,, she's hands on everyday. Forget about any negative reviews these people haven't eaten there for 40 years like me.
    This family continues to commit to the freshest homemade foods by a mother and daughter team that can not be found in this world today for 50 years, so spend a couple hours and meet them, they don't hide in the kitchen. They welcome to be apart of there family and yes it takes a little time to prepared the homemade food when not a chain restaurant.

The Family and Foods Store front Pizza Bread Beef Burger PIZZA

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Andiamo Riverfront: Good Italian in the Ren Center

by TRimer Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is quite modern in decor- but it has a combination of free standing tables and booths - which give it a warmer feel. The service was attentive but not overbearing- especially since I was rushed (needed to make a conference call).

Favorite Dish: I had a great ravioli dish and a delightful salad.

• Business Travel

• dtownkitty's Profile Photo

SWEET LORRAINE'S: AROUND THE WORLD

by dtownkitty Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sweet Lorraine's menu consists of a sampling of world flavors with a twist. The Detroit location is in my opinion the best and it has a fun, Jazzy decor. It's moderately priced for great food in a great atmosphere. If you're on a budget, stop in at lunch time. They also have a nice, sophisticated bar area.

Favorite Dish: I like the Red, White and Greens salad so much I try to make it at home. Spinach, gorgonzola, smoked bacon, tomatoes and cranberries. It is very filling and along with a soup it can make a meal. The pecan chicken is also good and for some michigan flavor try the Traverse City smoked chicken pasta with dried cherries. Lorraine's club is yummy with avacado, special dressing and served on a croissant.

Also try the home made potatoe chips!!!

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Mae's: Oh, what a fabulous breakfast!

by Bunsch Written Oct 20, 2010

Sunday brunch...you know what to expect. It'll be a cholesterol feast with all the usual components. But what if you started with Avalon bread? What if you featured aebelskivers, a better version of pancakes from a Scandinavian recipe (your choice of raspberries or strawberries)? And served every single variety of Faygo pop? Fried oreos? Great salads with good Michigan ingredients? Okay you can still get a version of Eggs Benedict with your coffee and fresh-squeezed OJ, but I promise you that Mae's will delight with both its inventiveness and its family feeling. Which comes naturally, since newlyweds Sean and Jessica decided that was the atmosphere they wanted in their little corner restaurant. Tables and retro counters are available. The line forms early!

Tues-Fri: 6:30am - 4pm
    Sat-Sun: 8am - 4pm

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed both breakfasts I sampled, and all the things which were coming off the grill looked appetizing. I'm sure you can't go wrong. I love their philosophy: substitutions encouraged!

Fall greetings at Mae's Sean working the grill The famous aebleskivers
    • Zoo

• treker2's Profile Photo

OPH-Original Pancake House: Best place to fuel up in the morning

by treker2 Written Aug 3, 2010

This chain is my favorite for a fantastic breakfast and rich creamy coffee. There are three in the metro Detroit area. If you go mid morning on the weekend, be prepared to stand at least 20-30 minutes no matter which one you visit. It's worth it.

Favorite Dish: Strawberry crepes with whip cream. Spinach and Gouda crepes with crumbled bacon. The Big German pancake with extra powdered sugar and lemons. And the coffee with real cream.

• treker2's Profile Photo

Slows BBQ: But be prepared to wait for a table

by treker2 Written Aug 3, 2010

Excellent urban BBQ bar and restaurant. Be prepared to wait and wait for a table because this is where all come to dine. Fantastic bar featuring tons of beer from around the globe. Great looking place to sit and shoot the ***. You'll get all types at this place. Police, doctors, Wayne State & CCS students that are into the artsy fartsy side of life. Rich and poor. Well not to poor they can't afford the 10-13 dollar entrees. THis is one of the cheapest and best places for food. This is Detroit's best example of flavor, atmosphere and strangers actually talking to one another no matter what the skin color or age or wardrobe. GO TO SLOWS near old Tiger Stadium in no mans land.

Helpful Hint: If you are with one other person, seperate and watch the people at the bar. As soon as you see someone paying the bill, be prepared to jump on a stool and eat at the bar. Trust me, it's hard to stand and wait for a table up to an hour.

Favorite Dish: I love the pulled pork dinner with the homemade apple bbq sauce. There is always 4-5 homemade sauces at the table or bar for you to try. I always get 2 sides of mac & cheese. I've only finished everything once. I usually take left overs home for husband. He usually orders the brisket and bbq beans. They make theirs with a mexican/southwest flavor, deep groans of yummy delight! Dessert is really good, but you'll need to split it because dinner is so rich and plentiful. Remember this is a great place to drink beer. Wine list is slowly gathering momentum.

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

American Coney Island: Great experience

by rcsparty Updated Nov 20, 2009

American Coney Island was the original Coney Dog restaurant in Detroit. It was opened by Gust Keros in 1929, who was so successful, he called over his brother from Greece, who opened Lafayette Coney Island next door…starting a fierce rivalry, in which every true Detroiter chooses allegiance.

American expanded in 1989, which created more space in the restaurant and gives it better visibility, as it encompasses the corner store. However, it also cost it some of the atmosphere in the restaurant. It is still a great lunch or late night stop, but it does not have the same authenticity as its rival.

Like it’s neighbor, it has a very loyal clientele, and is well worth a quick stop to sample the rivalry.

Anita's Kitchen: Mediterranean Flair

by Bunsch Written May 3, 2009

Detroit has a large Lebanese population, which inevitably means there are excellent restaurants where one can get a kibbe fix. For years, the best of these places in the heart of the downtown business district was a family favorite. It closed when the City built the People Mover, and then our family moved...so it has been a challenge to find the "right" replacement amongst the many options.

Anita's is, I think, our ultimate choice. It has all the standard stuff (baba ghanouge, hummus, souvlaki, tabouli, lamb tongue, kibbe baked or raw, etc.) but there's a fanciful hand in the kitchen so that everything tastes fresh and inventive. It's also a really pleasant restaurant, with good seating.

Be sure to check out the t-shirts worn by the servers, which are for sale. I couldn't resist!

Open 11:00-9:00 during the week, 11:00-11:00 on Friday and Saturday, noon- on Sunday.

Server at Anita's

• vicentes: Cuban cusine

by karmalagoon Updated Aug 4, 2008

Nice spot.
    contemporary decor. staff is attentive with out being intrusive. ( you know the type that come up every five seconds and you can't have a conversation with your friends ? ) .
    most likely one of the few places that serves plantains and yucca ! YAY !!!
    I haven't found any other places that serve these yet...

They have coat check and salsa dancing on fridays after 9 or 10pm

Favorite Dish: Ropa Vieja (old clothes) shredded beef with red wine olives and peppers
    or Ensalada de Pera ( pear salad) Pears soaked in a Spanish Anis & sambuco, pears are fried served on greens with manchego cheese and cherries

• baile corcaigh: the Irish place to eat in Detroit !

by karmalagoon Written Aug 4, 2008

a wonderful spot off the beaten path from greektown etc, it features dark wood / pub decor , stained glass windows, and a GREAT irish band called Finvarra’s Wren (irish / celtic musicians) they preform there about once a month

Favorite Dish: potato / leek pie, shepards pie both great!!

• Music

• chagi1's Profile Photo

La Shish: Yummy Middle Eastern cuisine!!

by chagi1 Updated Apr 25, 2007

La Shish is now a local chain with several locations in the Detroit area.
    All the locations have a wonderful middle Eastern ambiance, with wonderful decorations and pictures adorning the walls and ceilings, it always gives me something to do while waiting for the food... look around!

Some people comment that La Shish is not authentic, I have to disagree, it is quite authentic, and great tasting food!!

Favorite Dish: I love their freshly squeezed juices....
    the hummus..... The bread and garlic mayo dip that they hand out to each table as you enter, yummy!!!
    All their meals are wonderful!!!
    The portions are also quite big, we can never have and appetizer and then a meal, it's way too much food!!

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Atlas Global Bistro: Brunch without booze?!

by Bunsch Written Apr 10, 2007

The buzz has been pretty solid for the Atlas Bistro, and friends who have dined there or done the business lunch thing seem very happy with the quality of the food, attentiveness of the staff, and the general ambience. My sole experience with the place was to be the inaugural party for Easter brunch. (Eventually, a few other diners joined us, but since the restaurant had essentially given us a 10:00 AM seating or nothing, making it difficult to go to church as well, I had to wonder about their booking policy.) Michigan prohibits the serving of alcohol before noon, even for festive occasions, so we had to enjoy our repast without Bloodies or any of the standard champagne-based tipples. Our waiter seemed to have imbibed too much before the prohibition began, because every liquid -- water, juice, coffee -- he brought to the table managed to trail evidence of its passing across the floor and table. I'll describe my meal, which I quite liked, but unfortunately my colleagues didn't fare so well with their crabcake Benedicts. The crab was barely warmed. The fruit salad was wilted and sad. On the other hand, I really thought the ladies' loo was clean and spacious!

Favorite Dish: I had cinnamon French toast, which was prettily presented as well as being excellent. Atlas doesn't scrimp on the genuine maple syrup, either. Rouding things out, the excellent coffee and some OJ (not, unfortunately, freshly squeezed) almost made me forgive Michigan for keeping the bubbly out of my mimosa.

In fairness, other people seem to like this place a lot. So I'll try it again before I give up.

It was empty like this when we arrived...

Detroit Hotels

Latest: Jul 18, 2014
Omni Detroit at River Place
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Detroit

Comments

Detroit Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Detroit locals.
Map of Detroit