Tom's Oyster Bar, Detroit

519 E. Jefferson Ave (313) 964-4010

Excellent turkey sandwich
  • Tom's Oyster Bar
    by littlesam1
    No crab cake salads in Baltimore..sorry
  • Hikerpark's Profile Photo

Tom's Oyster Bar: Don't Miss The Ciabatta Bread Sandwiches!

by Hikerpark Written Jul 25, 2011

Tom's Oyster Bar - Dowtown Detroit

Tom's Oyster Bar has an ideal location across from the Rennaissance Center in dowtown Detroit. Very typical pub atmosphere with extremely kind and helpful waitresses. They have a healthy selection of craft beers in bottles and a decent wine selection as well. The grilled chicken sandwich on ciabatta breast was one of the most unique sandwiches I have ever eaten. Lots of locals hang out here and I must say that this is a great way to immerse oneself in the city life of Detroit.

Favorite Dish: The grilled chicken sandwich on ciabatta bread!

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• dtownkitty's Profile Photo

Tom's Oyster Bar: East Coast Feeling

by dtownkitty Written Oct 3, 2005

Tom's has a few locations in the Metro area, one of which is downtown. They have a kind of East Coast pub feel. The one downtown is a gathering place for the after work crowd and a good choice if you like oysters and drinks. Leave the Detroit and Royal Oak spots for merry-making and you won't be dissapointed. For a meal try the Grosse Pointe location ( A lovely place where everybody knows everybody's name but yours).

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Tom's Oyster Bar: Excellent Bar

by littlesam1 Written Sep 17, 2011

We left the General Motors Ren Center and chose not to eat in the food court. As you read in my tips about the Ren Center, there was no one in the food court. So who wants to eat alone in an empty food court. Instead we left the Ren Center and walked across the street to Tom's Oyster Bar. Now I am from Baltimore. Baltimore is known for its oysters, steamed crabs, and crab cakes. When Marylanders travel we seldom order crab cakes or oysters because we all know we will not be satisfied. Tom's Oyster Bar had oysters and "Maryland" style crab cakes on the menu. We knew to skip these immediately. Instead I ordered a turkey sandwich on ciabatta bread. And it was an excellent choice. This little bar had excellent sandwiches. I ended up ordering a really good German Import, Reissdorf beer instead of a local beer. Then I realized I was doing just what had caused Detroit so many issues with its car industry. I ordered an import instead of a domestic. Mark ordered a domestic beer, Shorts Brew from Detroit. Guess which one was better? Yes it was the import.

Did I mention once again that I was here on a Friday afternoon during the lunch time rush hour. And yes, once more there was no one here except for us. But I do give the place high recommendations.

• sevilsungur's Profile Photo

Tom's Oyster Bar: As Close As I will Get to Seafood

by sevilsungur Updated Apr 19, 2006

Once upon a time Detroit had a lot to offer but had nothing to offer. In those days Tom's Oyster Bar was like a fresh pond of water in the dessert. I hate seafood, but I like good cocktails. Tom's was the place to be for a quick good quality food, and nice drink.

Favorite Dish: I've made it a ritual to stop by for a quick drink or shrimp tempura salad -with goat cheese and Michigan dried cherries- on my way to or from Jefferson Ave...........

Instant Answers: Detroit

Comments

Hotels Near Tom's Oyster Bar
3.5 out of 5 stars