Frankenmuth Restaurants

Zehnder's: All you can eat German served family style

by Dabs Updated Nov 4, 2013

Zehnder's

Last Visit November 2013

There are two huge restaurants in Frankenmuth, sitting right across the street from each other, that serve pretty much the same type of food and probably get about 95% of the people visiting Frankemuth to dine at their restaurants, there are all kinds of references to the Zehnder's at Bavarian Inn, I'm pretty sure they are affiliated somehow. We've tried both Bavarian Inn and Zehnder's and we liked Zehnder's better so that's where we always go. Zehnder's is one of the highest volume restaurants in the US, they can seat up to 1,500 people at one time and claim to serve 1 million people every year!

You can get reservations but we just showed up around 1pm and waited for about 10-15 minutes. In high season, you might think about getting a reservation but in early November it didn't seem that crowded.

Service is a little slow but always pleasant, I think we were there for over an hour.

Favorite Dish: We ordered what they are famous for, their all you can eat family style fried chicken dinner ($19.95 per person) which comes with noodle soup, cole slaw, cranberry relish, cottage cheese, cheese spread and chicken liver pate with garlic toast, bread, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, egg noodles and ice cream. You can add on extra meats such as wiener schnitzel or sausage for a small fee. You can also order off the menu.

Everything we had was good, I especially liked the the egg noodles in butter with baked bread crumbs. On previous visits, we've ordered the wiener schnitzel and sauerbraten, both of which were very good, but this time we ordered just the chicken.

• Bavarian Inn Restaurant: So Much Food - Such a Good Price

by Tryla Written Oct 3, 2003

All You Can Eat Chicken Dinner

The number one choice of most visitors remains the "All You Can Eat" Chicken Dinners which consist of homemade breads, butter and freshly prepared preserves, chicken noodle soup, housemade salads, golden fried, lightly breaded premium chicken, savory dressing, thick, rich giblet gravy with creamy mashed potatoes, buttered noodles, hot vegetable, and homemade ice cream. They also offer traditional steak and seafood dinners along with German Specialties.

Favorite Dish: We were so full from the "All You Can Eat" Chicken Dinner from the night before that we actually ordered from the Lunch Menu for dinner and even that was a lot of food for a reasonable price. Yummy.

• Zehnder's Restaurant: You must try the All You Can Eat Chicken Dinners

by Tryla Updated Oct 3, 2003

All You Can Eat Chicken Dinners

Zehnder's of Frankenmuth is the heart of Midwestern hospitality. In its ten dining rooms, which can seat more than 1,500 guests, Zehnder's offers a full-service menu that features all-you-can-eat family-style chicken dinners, seafood, steaks, fresh baked goods and European desserts.

Each year, Zehnder's serves nearly a million guests with the superb hospitality that has made it a world-wide attraction.

Favorite Dish: The All You Can Eat Chicken Dinner was simply delicious. The dinner includes: Noodle Soup, Cabbage Salad, Cheese Spread and Chicken Liver Pate With Garlic Toast, Stollen and White Breads and Butter, Preserves, Cottage Cheese, Relish, Frankenmuth Golden Fried Chicken, Grandma Zehnder's Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Noodles, Vegetable, and Ice Cream.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Zehnder's: The Best German Food in Michigan

by Tom_Fields Written Jan 5, 2008

Zehnder's Restaurant

This is among the best German restaurants that I've ever visited. It even rivals Hasenhour's back in Louisville (now closed). It's huge, hosting thousands of visitors each weekend in the summer. A local landmark, it also has a golf course, shops, a covered bridge, and other attractions.

Attention beer lovers! This is your chance to sample Frankenmuth's outstanding local brews. I especially loved the dark beer.

Favorite Dish: The lunch buffet is excellent.

• Beer Tasting

• DaVinci's: BEST PIZZA!!

by Triviara Written Aug 13, 2008

We had lunch here and should have eaten every meal here! It is a bit down the road from the tourist area but it is well worth going to. They have excellent pizza and their toasted submarines were great as well. Great value as well!

Favorite Dish: 2 large pizzas for $18 --- and it's delicioius!

• DaytonaDave59's Profile Photo

Zehnders of Frankenmuth: Not a good value

by DaytonaDave59 Written Dec 22, 2009

We waited in line for 45 minutes to be seated so we missed the luncheon. This restaurant has a very limited selection of food in it's menu. We ordered the all you can eat chicken dinner. The coleslaw was bitter and runny. The mashed potatoes were ok but the gravy was very bland. I must say the garlic bread and cheese spread were very good. Eventually we were served their "World famous chicken" which consisted of 1/2 a chicken for two people. The chicken was abosolutely terrible! It's crust was soggy and the flesh was dry. It was all I could do to finish the thigh I started eating. Needless to say we were not at all satisfied with our dining experience. For $18.95 per person I expected the food to be palatable. If you are in the Frankenmuth area and want good food and a great value do yourself a favor and skip Zehnders and try the Exit Restaurant adjacent the Birch Run exit off of I-75

• tvdandy's Profile Photo

Zehnder's of Frankenmuth: Ready for the world famous chicken dinners

by tvdandy Written Jul 6, 2010
    Zehnder's of Frankenmuth

Zehnder's is a great place to have the world famous chicken dinners because it is less pricey than other restaurants in town which serve the same chicken dinner. Also, very nice portions in a great colonial house atmosphere. Friendly service as well. If you come to Frankenmuth and you only have time to do one thing, it has to be the Chicken!!!

• Zenders: You will delight in the smorgeborg menue

by RudolfUnger Written Dec 29, 2007

I've treid every type of fare at Zenders and a lot of the Bavarian Haus and just can not say enough.
    I will admit I do like the snitzel at the Bavarian inn but the wife loves the prime cut at Zenders. I am registered as is the with at Zenders birthday club and this allowes us more opertunities to visit Frankenmuth year round.
    Maybe some time soon, I can stop and find out about the night life in Frankenmuth?

Auf wedersehn.

• DeeDeeDa's Profile Photo

Bavarian Inn Restaurant: A Rip off

by DeeDeeDa Updated Mar 17, 2007

All you can eat chicken. Lots of chicken, but if you want to ask for more drum sticks (that my son love the best) better finish all your chicken before you ask for it. Otherwise they will give you an attitude and won't let you pack the rest of the chicken.

With that price I prefer to eat at KFC.

Across the street is Zehnder's, the hotel manager told me it is owned by the brother. So didn't even bother to try.

Favorite Dish: Mash potato but the gravy is lousy.

• HoneyJen's Profile Photo

Bavarian Inn Resturant: Great Brauts

by HoneyJen Updated Jul 1, 2004

This is a nice resturant that we have lunch at when we come to Frankenmuth. The only major drawback is that their smoking section is a tiny corner with only 4 tables, the full menu is not available here, so if you are a smoker, don't plan to have more than lunch.

Favorite Dish: The sausage and sourkrautt is very good, try it with the home made root beer.

• HoneyJen's Profile Photo

Zenders: Our Favorite

by HoneyJen Updated Jul 1, 2004

Everything is wonderful and delicious, the coffee is the best I've ever had, strong, but not bitter. For smoking travelers, their smoking section is nice and doesn't make you feel second class. The Spiced Cider and Rum drink is perfect to warm the belly on a cold day, but be warned, there is more rum in there then you think.

Favorite Dish: Order the 2 piece chicken dinner, as you get a very hearty meal for a resonable price. You won't have room for desert.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo

I would have to say Zehnder.: I would have to say Zehnder.

by kschatterbox Written Aug 24, 2002

I just loved it all. the waitress and waiters were dressed in old fashion clothes. It was a very fancy place.

Favorite Dish: My sister and I got the fried chicken family meal for us which cost $16 per person but WELL worth it! My husband got the 3 different sausages and krout for about $16 which he says was well worth the money.
    All three of us could not finish the food because it was huge amounts of food!!

Instant Answers: Frankenmuth

Comments

Frankenmuth Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Frankenmuth restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Frankenmuth sightseeing.