Grand Rapids Restaurants

by HotSpotJ
  • Restaurants
    by foodcritic

Most Recent Restaurants in Grand Rapids

• Fiesta Burrito Mexican Grill: Don't Miss The Fresh made BURRITOS!

by foodcritic Updated Apr 4, 2011

I went to eat to Fiesta Burrito with my friends, it's a new place and wanted to tried it out. At first we were not sure, but decided to still go. It was AMAZING!!!!!!! They have the BEST BURRITOS!!!! I also tried one of their Mexican Tacos, it comes with the onions, cilantro and a delicious guaca salsa, oh, almost forgot, a grilled jalapeno on the side. You can't go more Mexican than this!. They have something for everyone, including kids meals. The ambience is very good. Service is GREAT!!! It is a very clean place, so you know your food is clean. Everything is prepared when you order it, so you know it's fresh. You can taste the freshness of their ingredients in the first bite. We were not disappointed and will be back. It is hard to find great places like this!!!

Favorite Dish: The Wet burritos Are Delicious also the fajita burrito

• Fiesta Burrito Mexican Grill: Don't Miss The Fresh made BURRITOS!

by foodcritic Updated Apr 4, 2011

Favorite Dish: The Wet burritos Are Delicious also the fajita burrito

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Schnitzelbank: German food

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

Schnitzelbank

2/17/07 update, per page comment below, the restaurant has been torn down and turned into a parking lot-bummer!

David has tried to stop at this place a couple of times but he always is passing through on a Sunday when the restaurant is closed.

The decor is not fancy and is a little dated but it's just what I expect when I visit smaller towns in the midwest. it's filled with German items like beer steins, cuckoo clocks and the animated dwarf quartet that you can see in the picture.

Our waitress was as obliging and pleasant as any waitress could be, offering substitutions and mixing special salad dressings.

Favorite Dish: I tried the wiener schnitzel which was very well prepared and a perfect sized portion for dinner. It came with mashed potatoes/gravy.

David tried a combination plate with wiener schnitzel in a mushroom gravy, sauerbraten and ham with a side of mashed potatoes/gravy and spatzel. The spatzel wasn't the best I've ever had but he enjoyed everything else on his plate.

Entrees came with a soup or salad, the white clam chowder was very good, the salad was mostly iceberg and I wished I had gotten the soup. You also had your choice or sauerkraut, beets or another vegetable but I passed and got some applesauce instead.

I should have also passed on dessert but they had homemade bread pudding with a warm vanilla sauce, what can I say? Very delicious!

• La Cantina Mexican Grill: DO NOT EAT HERE

by gvsugrad14 Written Jan 22, 2009

I've never been so upset after leaving a restaurant. HORRIBLE service!! Their so called "best server" lied to us about the price of their margaritas and denied it later. The manager was standing two feet away and never came to see if something was wrong. My credit card was overcharged by 40$ and the same manager harassed me when I asked her to correct it with proof and it took them a month to do give me my money back. The food was excellent but not worth it. I will NEVER go back!!!!!

• joits's Profile Photo

Arnie's: The alternate to Dennys

by joits Written Mar 1, 2008
    steak & eggs

I asked the people at the hotel for a good breakfast place that wasn't Denny's and the suggested this place since it was close by. I ordered the steak and eggs which was really cheap and I guess that's why it was just okay. It definitely did not blow me away but it was certainly filling. Service was good too.

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

The BOB: The Big Old Building

by HotSpotJ Written Jun 3, 2007
    The Bob interior

The BOB is a very intriguing place in the center of downtown Grand Rapids. This place has four restaurants and is the center of Grand Rapids nightlife. I was here onm a Wednesday, a night with not much going on though there was still live music in the background with a decent younger crowd around. If you are in Grand Rapids a looking for nightlife, I'd give this palce a try- also the food here is good , too.... with the 4 restarants (Steakhouse, Seafood, 2 General) as well as their own brewery on the lower level, you can't miss with the BOB.

Favorite Dish: I had some great calamari appetizers and an excellent ribeye- topped off with some great local tap beer from Kalamazoo.

• Business Travel

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

Panera Bread: A Highlight

by cpiers47 Written May 8, 2007

The best part about Panera is high quality and creative food at a price even college students can afford. The restaurants are always clean and are designed to be a comfortable place to stay and chat.

Favorite Dish: I love the "U Pick 2" option and often get the 1/2 greek salad and a bowl of french onion soup. It's served with french bread (or an apple or wheat baguette, etc.).

From the bakery, the cinnamon crunch bagels are the best!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Khazneh Cafe: Middle Eastern at the Petra exhibit

by Dabs Written Jul 3, 2005

Petra cafe

A delightful touch to the Petra exhibit at Calvin College was the Khazneh Cafe where you could try a taste of Middle Eastern food. The exhibit runs through August 15, 2005 after which I suspect the cafe will close as well.

Favorite Dish: There were 6 options for lunch, we tried the chicken gyros and shawarma (beef steak gyro) but there was also a beef/lamb gyro (looked suspiciously like the meat you get in the grocery store gyro packages), a grecian salad, grilled vegetable pita or baba ghanoush. There were at least a dozen different sauces, vegetables and spices that you could add.

It wasn't as good as middle Eastern food I've had abroad or in restaurants in Chicago but I thought it was a nice tie in to the exhibit.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

La Cantina: Grand Rapids Needs Mexicans!!!

by KiKitC Written May 8, 2005

I guess you couldn't say this restaurant was in Grand paids, MI, as we had to drive miles down Rt 11 to find ANY Mexican food. (Hey, Taco Bell and Garcia's are NOT real Mexican restaurants). We should have seen it coming, as it was obviuosly a bar that serves food, but we tried it anyway.

Now, I can't say that the bland, questionable ingredient concoctions didn't make me sick, or if it was the flu, but the enxt day I had a high fever and was puking. I had ordered a chimichanga, but it tasted as if they poured "Prego" spaghetti sauce on top of it.

I would recommend NOT stopping here for a bite to eat.

• Business Travel

• Great Wall Restaurant: Great Chinese Food

by sparkle_eyes Written Apr 26, 2005

This is a great authentic Chinese food restaurant. They also have American Chinese food, but the real stuff is on the "Beijing Style Menu" on the back of the regular menu. Its the only place in Grand Rapids to have hot pot, where you cook your own meal in a pot of broth placed in the middle of the table.

Favorite Dish: I really like the jiaozi (dumplings)

• The BIB: Excellent Place

by AndyWills Written Oct 10, 2004

The BIB is actually out on Gun Lake (25 miles from GR) but the place is excellent to go with your friends.

The waitresses are loud and obnoxious but as long as you give as good as you get you'll have a fantastic time

• MikeStacey's Profile Photo

Damon's: Don't miss the Ribs and quiz

by MikeStacey Updated Sep 14, 2004

An incrdible experience !!! THis typical american rib bar was excellent value for money, and you only paid for one beer. Every time your glass looked two thirds empty, it would be topped up again. Too many ribs too eat, but if you did those too would be replaced with some more. Each table had a button console which allowed to take part in a quiz with all the other tables in the resturant, and quite a good banter between tables began. Also that resturant also was measured against other resturants within North America. It was almost likea national quiz.

Favorite Dish: Onion loaf was to die for. ribs were tremendous

• There are many restaurants to...

by starfate Updated Feb 5, 2004

There are many restaurants to choose from in and around the GR area...Rose's Restaurant on Reeds Lake is one of my faves currently.
    Atmosphere can be a bit on the preppy/pretentious side and is usually VERY crowded so prepare to wait a bit on the weekends...especially in the summer. Located on the shore of a small inland lake in East Grand Rapids, this restaurant is located on what once was an amusement park/vacation location in days gone by! Before becoming a restaurant it was a small eatery where you could buy great hotdogs, rootbeer floats, etc. but was known best for its incredible caramel corn. A nice carryover from those days is that Roses' supplies each guest with a small taste of homemade caramel corn along with your check. (Check out the historical pictures in the restaurant and/or the menus for historical information).

Favorite Dish: This restaurant serves a wonderful array of meals from appetizers and sandwiches to gourmet pasta dishes (all w/ loads of garlic, just a warning...they even supply MOUTHWASH in the restrooms to make up for it! Good thing to know if going on a date there..hint hint).

• Mundus's Profile Photo

San Chez: San Chez

by Mundus Written Sep 29, 2003

San Chez Tapas

One of GR's best restaurants. Only there I could drink my 'Caipirinha'!

Tapas are its speciality and they are quite good. The restaurant is considered 'One of the 50 Best Hispanic Restaurants in the U.S.A.' by the Hispanic Magazine.

The sagria could be improved! One time I asked to have some more wine in the sangria and they wanted to charge me for that, this is a sangria pitch that costs $11! The sangria wine is pretty cheap...

Go early on Friday's and Saturday's, because it gets crowded.

Favorite Dish: Tapas!!

• dracko's Profile Photo

Cascade Roadhouse: Nice lunch

by dracko Written May 9, 2003

Had a mini-VT Meet here with Parrothead2. Silly me, forgot the camera in the car and she drove, so no pics of the meet. We had a good time, discussing the fine points of vacationing in North Carolina over lunch.

Food itself wasn't the greatest I ever had, but not bad. I think we both ended up getting soft shell chicken tacos. I'd order something else next time, though. The place itself has two parts as you walk in, a restaurant area on the left and a bar/pub room (which is where we were) on the right. There's also an outside patio where you can sit on a nice day.

Instant Answers: Grand Rapids

Comments

Grand Rapids Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Grand Rapids restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grand Rapids sightseeing.