Ludington Travel Guide

The Deck and Tower of the S.S. Badger
    by charlenemixa
    Docking the S.S. Badger -tight fit!
    View of Manitowoc, Wi as arrive in port

Ludington Things to Do

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

by charlenemixa Written Jun 11, 2014

Taking the Badger definitely saved us gas and time for crossing Lake Michigan from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. It takes about 4 hours to cross the Lake saving at least 3-4 hours driving time and avoid driving through Chicago. (Note you gain an hour with the time zone change, too). Since we started the morning in Glen Arbor, MI, the carferry also eliminated an overnight stay, making it a definite plus. The crew was very efficient in loading and unloading the cars, trucks and buses. On board we found plenty to entertain us. We enjoyed being on deck as the shipped made its way out the channel with some great views of the shores of Lake Michigan. Having made a couple of hour drive that morning, we had a hearty breakfast in the Upstairs cafeteria after the ship sailed. Exploring the ship we found basically something for everyone. Airplane seating by TV’s, a Quiet Room for reading or napping, a Movie Theater shows two full movies, a Children’s Play Room, and what a would a cruise be without BINGO. Plus there were numerous decks and areas for visiting, playing cards, or just relaxing both inside and on deck. Just be prepared it is windy on deck so take a jacket. We arrived at Manitowoc, WI refreshed and ready for our short drive to Sheboygan. The Badger definitely saved us Gas and Time!

Simulation of the Captain' view. S.S. Badger leaving Ludington, MI View of Manitowoc, Wi as arrive in port Docking the S.S. Badger -tight fit!
    • Cruise

• Basaic's Profile Photo

by Basaic Written Jul 14, 2012

Although this tip is about an accomodation, I am putting it here because I did not stay here. The Stearns was built in 1901 as the first hotel in Ludington. It was built by lumber baron Justus Stearns. It retains its historic atmosphere but has been updated to provide modern accommodations. A couple of locals told me it is a very nice place but I can neither confirm or deny that. Also houses the Tiki Lounge.

Stearn's Motor Inn
    • Architecture

• Basaic's Profile Photo

by Basaic Written Jul 14, 2012

Ludington has a nice library where you can get information about the town and catch up on posting your tips on VT (not that I am anywhere near caught up).

Ludington Library

Ludington Hotels

Ludington Restaurants

• sarah00's Profile Photo

by sarah00 Written Jul 19, 2012

This has been a must stop destination for my husband and I since I've been gong to Ludington with him. We were there this last weekend and for the first time I was disappointed. It took a long time to get our food. This is the second time the service was below par. Last time I ignored it, every place is entitled to an off day. The food was very good but this time I noticed how expensive everything is. Maybe its because I'm older and cheaper or maybe its because I have children now but wow! $10 burgers and $6 kids meals just seems excessive.

All in all the food is good and the beer is good but the price is too high to take the kids and with the poor service next time we are in town we are going to something new.

Favorite Dish: y favorite thing is the apricot wheat beer and ale cheese soup.

• Business Travel

Ludington Shopping

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Written Aug 14, 2012

There are a number of antique stores in Ludington. I think we probably went into 4 or 5 in our short 2 day stay there while visiting friends.

What to buy: We usually pick up one of two small things when we visit antique stores. This time is was a set of proof coins from the year of our marriage and just a few other small things.

On occasion we have been known to pick up larger items. Years ago we were looking for a white desk for our daughter's room to match some other furniture and found one at an antique store. I believe we picked that up in Wisconsin on a short trip. Of course we won't be picking up any big items any time soon. In those days we had our mini vans so we could haul things around a little easier.

Anyway, we never really plan on visiting antique stores, but if we visit small towns we usually will pop in and take some trips down memory lane.

What to pay: A few pennies to thousands of dollars

Old 78's - Even Before My Time Books of Knowledge Old Tools Half a Cup
    • Camping
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Ludington

Comments

Ludington Travel Guide
Map of Ludington